Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sitting here watching the show Tactical Arms on the sportsman channel.

It is a show that I have watched a few times before, but didn't think much about it. For one thing, I just can't get over the hosts of the show and how it relates to every day actions. Well tonight they are featuring the 1911. For the first half or so of the show it was ok, but then they get to the point where they are talking about care a maintanence of the gun. Well the main host of the show was saying that if you didn't know what certain parts of the gun were or if you didn't know where to lubricate the gun, and that the gun did require special lubrication, that you probably didn't need to be carrying the gun.

Ok, wait a minute. If your gun won't function without special attention, you don't need to be carrying that gun in the first place.

Well shortly after that they were shooting the gun and showing the effective range. Well they got out to 100 yds, and the numb nuts that was saying whether or not you should be actually be using the gun was missing the target all together at 100 yds.

Yea that is pretty far for most pistols but, that just ruined it all for me. 1 if you have to baby a gun, get a different one, 2 if you saying whether or not you should be using one, don't put yourself on tv with the gun and consistantly miss the target.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Wishing I had the sportsman channel...

Joker1

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Most pistols have a maximum effective range of 50 yards,even tho you can hit a target at 100 yards,the sight radius is pretty short and it don't take much to miss,If I'm shooting past 50 yards I hope I got my carbine

·
Registered
281 Posts
The host is obviously an idiot, and that shows it. The max range on a 1911 is 50 yards. The only special lube it needs is motor oil. Now you can put fancy grease on it and if your someplace where it's -50 degrees then you want to use a really light oil. But other than that it doesn't require anything special.

·
Super Moderator
19,380 Posts
Yep, that dang 1911... unreliable piece of junk through 75 years of US military service. Just can't trust it in battlefield conditions. And don't those wacky kids in the MEU(SOC) know it's not a good gun???

·
Registered
307 Posts
100 yard hits with a 1911 are not hard if you practice for it once in awhile. A 1911 requires lube and cleaning ever 1K rounds or so to ensure reliability.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Did that show use to be called Tactical Impact?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Certain posters in this thread have just lost all credibility with many knowledgable people, by referring to Larry Vickers as "numbnuts" and an "idiot".

Do you people have any friggin' clue who he is? I'll give you a few clues: Richard Heinie refers to Vickers as the best 1911 pistolsmith in the world, himself included; Vickers is a retired MSG from Delta; and Vickers is one of the founders of IDPA.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Certain posters in this thread have just lost all credibility with many knowledgable people, by referring to Larry Vickers as "numbnuts" and an "idiot".

Do you people have any friggin' clue who he is? I'll give you a few clues: Richard Heinie refers to Vickers as the best 1911 pistolsmith in the world, himself included; Vickers is a retired MSG from Delta; and Vickers is one of the founders of IDPA.
And? It still doesn't change what was said or done during this episode.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The host is obviously an idiot, and that shows it. The max range on a 1911 is 50 yards. The only special lube it needs is motor oil. Now you can put fancy grease on it and if your someplace where it's -50 degrees then you want to use a really light oil. But other than that it doesn't require anything special.
They were doing a walkback drill at predetermined 25-yard increments. You do know what a walkback drill is, right?

The best lubricant for a firearm is one that is made specifically for firearms.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd believe Larry Vickers on a TV show before I'd believe someone on a internet forum. He is the real deal. He's used a 1911 for what JMB intended it for. He missed a 100 yard shot with a pistol...the guy with him made the shot with another 1911...which was also Larrys 1911. He missed a bit to the left of the target @ 100 yards. I had the episode DVRed...in the replay you can actually see the round going downrange.

·
Administrator
143,583 Posts
"Ok, wait a minute. If your gun won't function without special attention, you don't need to be carrying that gun in the first place."

First of all...let's get the fallacy out of the way first. Just FYI

The 1911 Government Model "as originally fit and constructed"
was extensively tested years later for use by the U.S. Military to be able to feed and function minus all lubrication in extreme sub-freezing Arctic temperatures as well as...dusty/sandy Desert conditions.

That would be stripped of all traces of internal lubrication and also completely stripped of all traces of lubrication on the frame and slide rails.
In short...not even any remaining trace residue of oil or grease in any location on the pistol.

Ideally the Colt 1911 should run perfectly when it is bone dry and doing that will not cause any damage to the pistol.

In order to test that:
In the past I have run three of my personal Colt pistols reassembled after being completely disassembled and sprayed with contact cleaner "spray solvent degreaser" in order to remove all traces and vestiges of lubrication and they run/function/operate/feed/eject just fine.

My Colt Combat Commander has pretty close frame/slide rail tolerance and it still runs fine completely dry.

So......the Colt 1911 Does Not "require special attention" regarding lubrication.

Some of the Colt clones are factory ill~fit and they are always a crap-shoot regarding function and....(of course) some of the extremely high dollar 1911s are beautifully fit with very tight accuracy and target tolerances and they should be properly but, sparingly lubricated with a high quality lube.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts