Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you carry something like a SureFire E2D onto an airplane or in a carry bag? :confused: Any TSA people on the forum that can answer that?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I think someone answered this before. I think if it's a small one. I can't remember what the rule is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know the rule but I just carried my Fenix TK11 on Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Washington.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I usually have my 6p LED in my carry on, never had a problem with it. Personally I'd be careful with some of the "strike bezel" lights, but other than that I've never had a problem with a flashlight in my bag.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Carried my surefire 6p also, no problems

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
I've always carried a flashlight of some type with me on all flights after July of 1989...one of my SureFires.

My two boys and I were flying back from Alaska in July of 1989. A few days before the flight, we changed one 'leg' of our route.::yup::gah:
We were ticketed for seats 15 A, B, & C on board this flight, but instead changed to a different plane in Denver.
YouTube - Sioux City Crash

There were around 300 people scheduled for that flight and only two-thirds walked away through dense smoke and darkness...I'm sure that many of those in the darkness wished that they had had a light source with them.

I now keep my SureFire on a lanyard around my neck and tucked inside my shirt when flying.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I carry a couple flashlights all the time. The E2D with the striking bezel is one of them. I don't even take them out of my carry-on bag. They just go through the scanning machine.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Flown with my Rayovac 3w no problem. It was "scary black" looking but no strike bezels.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Any TSA people on the forum that can answer that?
Did you even try to find the answer yourself? You don't need a TSA person to reply; the answer is readily available online. I found the answer on the TSA website within 1 minute; just do an Internet search on "TSA Rules." Anyway, TSA's website is:
TSA: Prohibited Items

Flashlights are NOT listed as prohibited items. I've flown with flashlights many times. I could see how an overzealous TSA agent might identify certain types of lights (such as a metal bodied mini-mag light) as kubatons, but that's streching things a bit. If that happened, I would ask to speak to a supervisor and have him show me where in the rules flashlights are forbidden, and ask him why pens and pencils aren't kubatons.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I flew with my 6P Defender last year. Little did they know, but it was actually modified and could probably cause a terrorist's eyes to turn white and explode if I shined it in his eyes. Ok, not really, but seriously.

And I would rather stick someone in the eye with a pen than a flashlight. More concentrated point and less to push through.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I just returned from Mexico & carried a Surefire light on my person & another in my go bag, that travels with me on ALL the flights. There are NO problems taking a light on your person or carry on.....

At Reagan, they did try to take the safety scissors in my first aid kit (it's a large kit), but a supervisor (called at my request) told them it was OK. No problem at ANY of the other airports here or in Mexico.

And I would rather stick someone in the eye with a pen than a flashlight. More concentrated point and less to push through.
Don't under estimate a bezel strike with a Surefire!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just returned from Mexico & carried a Surefire light on my person & another in my go bag, that travels with me on ALL the flights. There are NO problems taking a light on your person or carry on.....

At Reagan, they did try to take the safety scissors in my first aid kit (it's a large kit), but a supervisor (called at my request) told them it was OK. No problem at ANY of the other airports here or in Mexico.

Don't under estimate a bezel strike with a Surefire!
I've felt the pain in training. Don't want to feel it in real life. I was only referring soley to penetration. The E2DL bezel (though I don't have one) is very nice. The 6P is a little more chunky though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you even try to find the answer yourself? You don't need a TSA person to reply; the answer is readily available online. I found the answer on the TSA website within 1 minute; just do an Internet search on "TSA Rules." Anyway, TSA's website is:
TSA: Prohibited Items

Flashlights are NOT listed as prohibited items. I've flown with flashlights many times. I could see how an overzealous TSA agent might identify certain types of lights (such as a metal bodied mini-mag light) as kubatons, but that's streching things a bit. If that happened, I would ask to speak to a supervisor and have him show me where in the rules flashlights are forbidden, and ask him why pens and pencils aren't kubatons.
Thank you for your trite response. I always like the resident know it all who belittles others with their superior knowledge, unless I am reading it wrong. To answer your question, I did look at the TSA website, thank you very much, and as you have hammered home, flashlights aren't on the list. However, I asked about a specific model with a bezel that is designed and advertised to be a strike weapon. Didn't see that CLARIFIED in the TSA area. Before I threw it in a bag and then had them confiscate a $200 flashlight they considered a "weapon" I thought I would pose it here. Sorry if it was a bother for you to look it up only to provide me with information I already had. Thus I was hoping a TSA person could share their opinion on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Could you carry something like a SureFire E2D onto an airplane or in a carry bag? :confused: Any TSA people on the forum that can answer that?
I've carried an E2D on several commercial flights, never had a problem with it.

Matt

1 - 20 of 35 Posts