Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most have seen these so-called "tactical pens" which are sturdy, all metal ink pens. Yes, they write and will be just like another ink pen, except that it gives you a quick, sturdy device with which you can stab at an aggressor. Not a fail-safe, but seems, IMO, to be better than nothin'.

How many have one, carry one and/or think it is a good (not necessary) supplement to your defensive tools? I was ordering some other items a week ago and saw one on sale for $15 so I ordered it. It writes well and I plan to keep it in one of the little pull-out drawers in my van console where I have a regular ink pen now. Figured it can't hurt. I can write or sign stuff and possibly use it in a limited defensive situation. Don't think I'll carry it in my pocket ... although I could! :scratchchin:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'm looking for one that is retractable, ink that doesn't smear, is refillable, and doesn't cost $100.00. I think Gerber is coming out with one called the Impromptu, but haven't seen a price on it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I have one that I picked up at a gun show for $10.00 that takes a Parker refill. They're gimmicky but it looks neat and wrights just fine. I certainly would not pay more than I did for one.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
This last holiday season, the S&W Tactical Pen, black, was all that anyone got! Word. Good to go!

Buddy from NY (upper state) sent me a Tactical Tomahawk ............ Love it! Between it and pepper spray, great for ending road rage from jerks I did not want to meet in the first place.

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
Remember don't take a knife to a gunfight. But they r good for my shirt pocket and I have one with me a lot for backup protection tool. I paid around 17 bucks for mine.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Just picked up a tactical pen from Parker---> 00.jpg

Reactions: luvmy40 and ehamill

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Nothing wrong with an extra bit of protection, but a car key can do basically the same thing. Except write of course.

The biggest caveat I see is that unless you have at least some basic skills in hand to hand or catch someone completely by surprise a key, pin or blade isn't going to be very effective.

Unfortunately, for most of us surprise is the most likely best defense.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Reminded me of what my martial arts teacher said once about the choice weapon to have on a plane, a big pencil! He said to carry the largest pencil that will fit in a pocket and put a large eraser on the end. If you have to use it, stab it in the shoulder (where rotator cuff is) and quickly break it off where they can't pull it out. Yup, sounds painful as heck...and that is the point!

:pokey:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm looking for one that is retractable, ink that doesn't smear, is refillable, and doesn't cost $100.00. I think Gerber is coming out with one called the Impromptu, but haven't seen a price on it yet.
This one fits the bill! It is hard aluminum, retractable, refills available (I'm guessing office supply) and writes well. Cost $15.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone ever defended themselves with one of these? Seriously? If I am down to using a pen I will take my chances with just my hands. I guess it never hurts to have something, but to me these seem useless and best suited for the paranoid and James Bond want to be's.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
This one fits the bill! It is hard aluminum, retractable, refills available (I'm guessing office supply) and writes well. Cost $15.
Which one? Does it have a name?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
It's an option when cannot carry and want *something* that won't set off alarm bells. I have a couple. I don't use them, I just bought them out of curiosity. One for my wife and one for my sister in law.

They have a pointy end that can break glass with a simple tap. I can see how a person's grip would break if stabbed in the forearm or bicep, and how it could stop an attack momentarily if used to stab in the neck or face. It's something that can go unnoticed and a person can quickly grab and use. Many people work in environments that ban firearms & non-lethal deterrents such as pepper spray, so this is better than nothing. It is really a tool to give a person, say a woman that hasn't trained much in self defense, a chance to break a grip of an abductor and run like hell. An abductor may expect to get scratched or slapped and may not fight off what he thinks are little slaps as he attempts to get a better hold on his victim; but when the business end of the pen punctures his cheek and shatters a molar, he may be stunned and let go.

These aren't fight to the death weapons by any means.

As for tactical, that's an overused marketing term and is meaningless. It's basically an aluminum pen specifically designed for a secure grip and inflicting a lot of pain. Yeah, you can kill with it, but it's unlikely.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone ever defended themselves with one of these? Seriously? If I am down to using a pen I will take my chances with just my hands. I guess it never hurts to have something, but to me these seem useless and best suited for the paranoid and James Bond want to be's.
Didn't say it was the answer to all defensive situations, nor that it was necessary. But bare hands being a good alternative, wouldn't a metal spike to stick some BG in the neck (or elsewhere...) be a step up? I certainly wouldn't want a pen to the neck or eye!!! :scared1:

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Try maintaining your grip on a person and have her firmly tap one of these in your forearm while she tries to pull away from your grip. You'll be surprised at the results.

I hear you - these are oversold to some extent. But they are a tool for certain people in certain situations, and for them much much better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts