Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the “kid” isn’t really a kid - he’s about 25! @Sister mentioned in another thread our next door neighbors are interested in getting a pistol. Neither one of them have shot a handgun in their (short!) lives. So “John” and I ran out to the range. I needed to run some rounds through Sister’s Night Defender after replacing springs to make sure it functions well - it did! And I took my Competition in .45 as well. Carters Country had the Springfield Armory rep there so he had a chance shoot something besides a 1911.

He’s shot rifles before but I went through the keep your finger off the bang switch lecture before we hit the firing line. Kids a natural. This is his target after his first mag from my Competition. The target on the right with all 8 in the orange.

7CCB34CC-EA9B-4839-B223-484D7B85C4A0.jpeg

After he got familiar with runnng a 1911 he went down to the SA guys table and shot an XDs in .45 and one of the new Ronins in 9mm. He came back smiling and commented on how he now understood why Sister and I poo-poo’ed 9mm 😂 I think we created a monster because.........

We hit the store and he walked out with a RIA 1911 in .45 ACP. Mission accomplished!

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Really nice, but I always found Carter's Country to more expensive than that other LGS. On the other hand, I love going to CC to shoot trap & skeet.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Thanks for the range report, CWO! I was hoping you'd get a chance to post something. AWESOME selection on the pistol! (1911)

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Really nice, but I always found Carter's Country to more expensive than that other LGS. On the other hand, I love going to CC to shoot trap & skeet.
To me, it depends. I ALWAYS know my pricing, BEFORE I shop there. Most of their stuff is MSRP, which I won't pay. IF, you have the luxury of being able to wait, EVERY SO OFTEN, they'll have a deal on something. I'd say with the current "LOW stock level", from panic/new owner buying, list price would be acceptable. Over the decades, I've probably bought half dozen guns there. To me, internet & gun shows have been the most consistent deals.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The range is pricey if you want to shoot more than one gun but the pistol was priced about average for this day and age. He didn’t get a good deal but he didn’t get taken to the cleaners.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Next: "bench report on the basic's of re-loading"! 😂

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the range report, CWO! I was hoping you'd get a chance to post something. AWESOME selection on the pistol! (1911)
It is a nice pistol, it’s not the lowest level RIA sells, mid range I’d guess. Not sure of the exact model but it has ambi safety and upgraded trigger. He got a box of ammo and we shot a couple mags through it. Shot pretty good, the trigger is a bit stiff but should work in. Straight out of the box without cleaning and it didn’t miss a beat. As I recall the price was $549. Oh, and 2 sets of grips. One rubber kinda like Pachmayr and a blond colored wood panel. The blond panels were on it, looked very nice.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next: "bench report on the basic's of re-loading"! 😂
Probably! I can’t find any .45 ACP online! Out of curiosity I looked this morning and all the sites I go to for ammo were out, completely. Might have to sell him some of my components and let him roll his own!

Teach a man to shoot and he’ll be poor. Teach a man to reload and he’ll be broke for the rest of his life! 😂

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
YOU SHOT A RIA out of the box????? When Gramps got his 199 RIA in 9mm it came in a plastic bag inside the RIA box and the bag was FULL of oil. He had to take it completely apart to clean all that excess oil off of and out of the whole thing. Ever since then it has been a total dream to shoot, though. It's also the only 1911 Gramps has owned that he really enjoys and will keep. Every other one he has every owned over the past 40+ years has gotten sold and/or traded for something else.

I do not know the reason. I do know that from the time I got my first wee little P238, I've much preferred guns that have 1911 style/angle grips. And they LOOK GOOD ALSO! It has gotten so that now the few times I shoot my Glock 42, it no longer points naturally for me. But it's going to my granddaughter soon. Quite Soon, I hope. She is busy getting married and settled in the new house they bought, so it will probably be a while yet.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Technically it wasn’t in the box. This was in the display case so it had been cleaned up already.

I agree with you on the 1911 grip, just feels natural. I held a Glock once and didn’t like it at all. Grip was not natural for me. The SA XD series is a different story. I have 2 and they both point natural for me and I shoot them well. They don’t have the look, feel, or mystique of a 1911 but they’ll do in a pinch.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is this world coming to? What are you people teaching your kids? I saw the kid next door, John, and asked if he had cleaned his new gun yet. He said I had scared him about putting an idiot scratch on it and wanted me to show him how to clean it. Turns out he’s never cleaned a gun of any kind. Ever. 28 yoa, never cleaned a gun. SMH

So he and I had a nice afternoon learning how to clean a 1911. :)

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
What is this world coming to? What are you people teaching your kids? I saw the kid next door, John, and asked if he had cleaned his new gun yet. He said I had scared him about putting an idiot scratch on it and wanted me to show him how to clean it. Turns out he’s never cleaned a gun of any kind. Ever. 28 yoa, never cleaned a gun. SMH

SO -- if he had shot and cleaned a revolver before, or a fixed barrel .22, he would still not know how to clean a 1911. Be kind to the kid. (OK, I know you are. )

·
Registered
406 Posts

Yikes. I had never cleaned nor shot a gun until I was at least 30... (hides)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SO -- if he had shot and cleaned a revolver before, or a fixed barrel .22, he would still not know how to clean a 1911. Be kind to the kid. (OK, I know you are. )
Well, he didn’t know how to clean a revolver or .22 either. Guess he still doesn’t! 😂

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
Oh dear. Better late than never. :)
Not going to say exactly how OLD I was (pretty darned old!) when I finally learned to clean my own guns, but I had been shooting for several years and Gramps always cleaned our guns. This began to bother me and one day I asked him what I was going to do about getting my guns clean if he woke up dead some day. SO he went through the cleaning process with me and ever since then it's my job - a very rewarding and relaxing one. He still cleans his own even though I offer to do it for him. ;)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not going to say exactly how OLD I was (pretty darned old!) when I finally learned to clean my own guns, but I had been shooting for several years and Gramps always cleaned our guns. This began to bother me and one day I asked him what I was going to do about getting my guns clean if he woke up dead some day. SO he went through the cleaning process with me and ever since then it's my job - a very rewarding and relaxing one. He still cleans his own even though I offer to do it for him. ;)
Woke up dead???? :oops:

😂

I agree if you know how to shoot and have your own gun you should be able to clean it. I clean Sister’s anyway.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I thought I "woke up dead" one day, but my leg had just gone to sleep.

Reactions: Pete63 and CWOUSCG

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts