Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what peoples take on this is? I live in Indiana and there are no classes required. I personally wouldn't have an issue having to go through a class to get my permit. I often times wonder if a decent amount of mandated training would help ease some of the fears of the public. I have spoke to a few CCW holders that have made me "nervous".

I remember a conversation that I had with one where he stated "I've had my permit and glock 26 for 5 years. I've never fired it once. It's just so that I can scare off a attacker if I have to" I thought he meant that he never had to fire it AT a attacker but upon further investigation I found out that he had never once fired the weapon. He had never been to a firing range.

I really do wonder that if the general public knew that everyone with CCW permits had to "qualify" so to speak to be able to carry if we would have less of the fear mongering and general idiots that we do today.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In MI, a class is required. At first, I was a little put off by it, but it's only 1 day, about $100 and there's range time. Plus, the wife is a bit anti-, so having passed a class like that will make it easier for her.

To drive a car, I had to take a class and get a license. More people are killed in car accidents than by guns, so this makes sense.

Now, I can't understand why you wouldn't want a class and range time. Quite a few on this forum pay extra for classes and range time. So, I still don't see a negative.

After the stories I've read here and other places, there are quite a few individuals that I would NOT want carrying anywhere near me, or my loved ones, so again, I think it's a good idea.

Then there's the 2A. So, does a license and required class infringe? Yes, I think it does. But so does that requirement that convicted felons can not own, and just about everyone agrees that's a good idea, so I am willing to accept a bit of infringement, to know that those who carry, have clue, even if it's a small one. I'd rather a written law, rather than an unwritten, but accepted rule, kinda like we have with OC. Yes, it's legal, but almost no one does it because LEO and the general public will hassle you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well if you have to use it and you go to court and say it is the frist time I ever shot it -- guess what -- your done.. Anyway you should be required to use it before you carry it..

·
Banned
464 Posts
One of the Illinois Congresswoman has a poll on her website where she is talking about a 40 hour class in order to CCW. Is that right? 40 hours is a long time not to mention will be expensive.

It is an added cost that prevents the poor from getting a CCW. It is often expensive and I don't think many issues are covered in the class. We would not tolerate classes for other rights so this is no different.

For the original poster, do you consider yourself an experienced shooter? Are you familiar with the laws? Did you need a class in order to be?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I am strongly against Federal, State or any other kind of "mandate" regarding CCW permits training. With that said, I would hope EVERY CCW Permit applicant would have enough responsibility to seek antiquate training before deciding to carry a deadly weapon.

We all know, there will always be someone carrying that hasn't ever even fired the darn gun to see if it even works! :gah:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Tx has a class requirement for a license. I don't have a problem with it because the majority of the class is about use of force law and where you can and can't carry. The qualification is easy and only takes up about 1 hour of the 10 hour class.

As for the 2A argument, I pretty much agree with Mountaineer... Unlike places like Alaska and a few other states, the majority of the US is too populated to allow carry without some kind of permitting process. I would be all for a simple process like, pay a $10-20 fee, pass a background check and get your permit issued on the spot.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How about every year an applicant must take a shooting qualifying test? The test will be held at the Marine snipper training school in a swamp in Florida. If you pass their training you get your permit.

Of course I am being ridiculous but you know what? This is what you could end up with if the government is allowed to dictate how you get to exercise your constitutional rights. Remember the people making the rules are not all gun people. They are the Obama's of the world. While I strongly advocate training and even make an occasional buck at it I do not believe the government should dictate the requirement or what that training is.

For example I know some states dictate that a certain number of hours is required as if when you reach their magic number you suddenly become qualified. Ridiculous if you ask me but some bureaucrat decided this is what is required.

"I have spoke to a few CCW holders that have made me "nervous"."[/I According to the anti-gun folks the mere thought of anyone being able to carry a gun makes them "nervous". To this I say my rights come before your feelings of nervousness.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I am wondering what peoples take on this is? I live in Indiana and there are no classes required. I personally wouldn't have an issue having to go through a class to get my permit. I often times wonder if a decent amount of mandated training would help ease some of the fears of the public. I have spoke to a few CCW holders that have made me "nervous".

I remember a conversation that I had with one where he stated "I've had my permit and glock 26 for 5 years. I've never fired it once. It's just so that I can scare off a attacker if I have to" I thought he meant that he never had to fire it AT a attacker but upon further investigation I found out that he had never once fired the weapon. He had never been to a firing range.

I really do wonder that if the general public knew that everyone with CCW permits had to "qualify" so to speak to be able to carry if we would have less of the fear mongering and general idiots that we do today.
It varies by state. FL requires a basic firearms safety course and doesn't specify having to fire a weapon during the course. Other states require a certain proficiency with a firearm and require you to shoot at a target and have a decent level of accuracy and control of the weapon.

In FL the course is a basic one discussing firearms, the various safety features and differences between revolvers and autos as well as long guns. The class usually encompasses safe handling, storage, child safety, and a basic understanding of the state's CCW laws as it pertains to carrying a firearm concealed (what is considered acceptable for concealment, what is justifiable use of force, where you can and can't have it etc). I can only assume most states would have a similar requirement. Your state may not and has it as an optional thing for an individual to seek training. Whenever I sell a gun or even recommend a gun, the first thing I ask is if they are familiar with or have owned and fired a weapon similar. If not, I encourage them to take a safety course to become familiar with the weapon.

In FL the classes can range between $40 to $80 depending on where you take it. Most have a range shooting requirement where they bring the class to a range and you are required to handle a firearm safely and hit a target. Some courses allow you to qualify with your own gun if you are familiar with it's use. Others use a simple .22lr auto and ask the student to load and fire a shot. I've even seen one class where the instructor purposely loads a dud round into the magazine and requires the student to clear the jam safely. Everyone passes because the proper technique is learned and the student is able to do it themselves once they are shown how.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I liked the Florida class. The most emphasis was on the law and gun safety.
I was surprised how many women were there with their husbands/boyfriends.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about every year an applicant must take a shooting qualifying test? The test will be held at the Marine snipper training school in a swamp in Florida. If you pass their training you get your permit.

Of course I am being ridiculous but you know what? This is what you could end up with if the government is allowed to dictate how you get to exercise your constitutional rights. Remember the people making the rules are not all gun people. They are the Obama's of the world. While I strongly advocate training and even make an occasional buck at it I do not believe the government should dictate what that training is.

"I have spoke to a few CCW holders that have made me "nervous"."[/I According to the anti-gun folks the mere thought of anyone being able to carry a gun makes them "nervous". To this I say my rights come before your feelings of nervousness.

I belive in the law but I also belive that your right no swing your fist stops where my nose begins. I also think that you are correct, my nervousness shouldnt in any way, shape or form supersede the law but thats not the point. A few of my friends are permit holders. We shoot together on a rgular basis and I would have no issue sending my wife or child along with them someplace because I know they are fairly well practiced. I would have no issue having my wife or child in the same room with them if they needed to discharage there weapon because I know that they have trained with that weapon. If I, as a legal weapon carrying law abiding citizen is made nervous by people that have had NO training, think about the general public. It has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with responsibility.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I am strongly against Federal, State or any other kind of "mandate" regarding CCW permits training. With that said, I would hope EVERY CCW Permit applicant would have enough responsibility to seek antiquate training before deciding to carry a deadly weapon.

We all know, there will always be someone carrying that hasn't ever even fired the darn gun to see if it even works! :gah:
I strongly agree...:yup:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I liked the Florida class. The most emphasis was on the law and gun safety.
I was surprised how many women were there with their husbands/boyfriends.
Yes, that is something I like about Florida's classes (at least the ones that follow the basic NRA guidelines). Safety first, law second. After that it's up to you to use common sense.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've owned firearms since childhood and always enjoyed them. Missouri required me to take an 8 hour course to be CCW endorsed and it was the most educational, well taught, enjoyable classes I've ever taken. Now without being required to take any more, I'm signed up for an advanced defensive handgun course. I want to learn more and be more proficient. No argument here about the requirement.

There were people in my class who had no idea which end of a firearm the muzzle was and it was nice to know that they at least had a little education behind them when they were planning on carrying.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Class required here in my state. I had good instructors, and a full eight hours. Some only get the minimum. Mandated training, or testing? I haven't gone one way or the other yet on this issue, but our constitution doesn't require it. Ease some public fears about CCers? I doubt anything but anesthesia would calm some of the public fears on just about anything. Does a required class/training/testing ordeal mean those who have undergone it are better off than those who don't? That depends really on a lot of things. Best we can do is uphold our moral character and portray to others that safety and responsibility are things we should all care about. Some of us go beyond all of this in our personal lives, but we have no responsibility to force those same beliefs upon others. Everyone else will do as they may even if they can't hit the broadside of a barn with a tomahawk missile, and I hope they are not so irresponsible as to get someone other than themselves hurt whatever they do. We cannot change the world, and most of the time when we try, we just end up ticking them off. Humanity........ya gotta love it.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The ONLY thing I'd like to see in the classes offered in FL is an explination of the different weapons you may carry besides just a firearm. In FL the license allows you to carry other things like large knifes, blunt weapons of various types and things like that. Not every state allows this. Although most people would carry a gun and call it a day, some people do also like to have a CQC weapon that is non-lethal.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
Some people need firearm training, others have already had some.
But, the biggest + is that the class teaches your states laws covering CCW and gets one thinking about such issues and that other states may have different laws.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was required to take a CCW class and was not looking forward to going. However, I found it to be a great experience.

Where I live we have a choice of large classes on a college campus or small group classes at a private members only range.

I chose the small group class and was surprised at the questions and even a few answers during the class. Students also received lots of great materials like a handbook of state laws regarding CCW and also a "This is what to do if you have to fire" paper that we could keep with us in our wallets.

The Instructor also brought out a small arsenal that students could examine, handle, and ask questions about.

I would recommend the classes even if your state does not require you to take them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As a certified NRA Basic Pistol and Personal Protection instructor in WV near the OH border I feel a certain level of instruction is important. In WV military or law enforcement training or an NRA course is required. I feel that ccw is a very big responsibility. There are just lots of things covered in the NRA courses that the ordinary shooter has probably never been exposed to. Even former military members have the shooting skills, but may not have been exposed to the laws and responsibilities of ccw. The course covers the basics of pistols, ammunition, pistol shooting techniques, levels of awareness, tactical shooting, and the legal aspects of purchasing, owning and useing the firearm. I refuse to offer just the NRA Basic Pistol course which is really all that is required here in WV. Since OH requires at least 12 hours of training and I get several students from OH as well as from WV. So my course includes Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home. This requires about 14 hours with 3 to 4 hours at the range. We shoot close to hundred rounds. We shoot while moving, from behind a baracade (cover) and from the kneeling positions. We shoot strong hand only, weak hand only and mostly two handed from 5 to 15 yards.
I have had students who have never shot a handgun up through those who were quite experienced shooters. Most were very happy with the things they learned, even those with lots of experience. At the end of the course I invite a law enforcement officer in to further discuss the legal aspects of ccw with the students. We usually have lots of questions. The NRA courses are excellent. The NRA has made available several training posters and DVDs to aid certified instructors with their classes. These too are very profesionally done.
I am not sure I favor mandatory classes, but I'm quite happy with the way WV and OH handle it. Another benefit of requiring classes is that it makes it easier for your state to gain reciprocity with other states. Most states prefer to enter into reciprocity agreements with states who have a training requirement!

Just my 2cents

Jim

·
Registered
116 Posts
Being that I've been "frogging" in Louisiana while there were 'gators in the water, I think I'd pass...

Anyway, I'd prefer written rules to unwritten. If they are written and unreasonable, we'd at least have a chance have them changed.

Open Carry is quickly becoming a thing of the past. It's legal, but because of the hassles, no one does. I want something I can fight.

A written policy, with clear requirements (hit a sheet of paper at 20 paces and basic understanding of the law) is something I can understand and live with.

While most here are self educated and self motivated, not everyone is. Sometimes you really do need to drag someone out to the range and make 'em shoot (imagine that) and tell them what the laws are.

We, in MI, also have mandated hunter safety. The county offers it, 9 hours. It's free. haven't taken it, but it covers firearm safety, the laws, etc. The CCW/CPL permit should be the same.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I was surprised to read that the instructor freely admit that hadn't fired his G26 in 5 years. He even suggested that pointing his handgun at a BG would resolve a bad situation is even more hard to accept. One day he may have to actually fire his handgun to save his life. This is why he SHOULD be going to a gun range once in a while. People who insist that they don't need range time need to rethink that decision.

Here in NV, you have to qualify with a weapon for your permit. Granted, it's not the most thorough of qualification tests but it does give the state a basic idea that you can safely send a few rounds into your intended destination.

IMHO, it would make sense for any state to require a CCW permit applicant to show a basic skill in firing a firearm. But, every state has to legislate it's own laws as they see fit.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts