Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of slowly introducing my formerly gunshy wife to firearms, she finally asked to come to the range today:D
It was an exercise in patience to get to this point. I have a feeling she is really going to dig it though! This just goes to show that it is possible to open peoples minds about subject matter to which they were formerly closed. I'll post pics and a range report later :)

Respectfully,
Sam

Sent from my XT907

·
Registered
208 Posts
That is great. Just continue that patient loving approach and she will almost certainly enjoy it. Kathy (Cathy?) Jackson's site called The Cornered Cat has a really good checklist of things to consider when taking someone to shoot for the first time. It's divided into two parts: What to do before going to the range and what to do while at the range. I've used her approach to introduce several friends to shooting and it has worked really well.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
That is excellent.

Please don't take this wrong, but I'd like to give you a word of advice:

Be patient and non-condescending. Constructive criticism works best.

Women tend to be scared of guns. Showing her how to break down the gun and clean it is a good idea. When you see all the parts laying there on the towel, you realize it's just a tool.

Looking forward to the pics and range report.

Reactions: NewtownSam

·
Registered
158 Posts
On my wife's first trip I really just worried about getting safety across, try not to get into grip or stance. Let her get comfortable with holding, firing and the recoil. SInce that first trip for me a few months ago I've got her her own gun, she got her CCW and now she is shopping for a carry gun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips! I will do my best to heed what sounds like really solid advice :D

Sent from my XT907

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
good for you for finally getting her to go. cant wait to hear the results, good luck.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If at all possible make it an outdoor range. If not warn her at the precussion (sp) of a .45 cal next to you.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
24 Posts
I completely agree with the outdoor range comment. My wife of 32 years went to the range with me for the first time in April. It was a beautiful day and we went to a friend's range. (who is a TX CHL instructor) He spent a couple of hours with her making her feel comfortable about women and handguns and then she hit the range. It was a beautiful day and she was the only one shooting. Overall couldn't have been a more positive experience. Certainly scored high enough to pass the proficiency exam. She is now asking about scheduling her CHL class.

I may have created a monster. Haha.:scratchchin:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for all the tips! I will do my best to heed what sounds like really solid advice :D

Sent from my XT907
If she has never shot a handgun before my .02 would be to rent her a 22lr, if you don't have one. The big bang can take some getting used to. It's kinda like learning to drive with a regular car rather than a Ferrari.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It took about 6 trips to the range with me before my wife would even consider holding a gun. As a kid, her experience with guns at home was not very positive. Once a finally got her to try it, she turned out to be a really good shot. It took time, and a lot of patience, but now I can't get the S&W 9mm away from her. She is looking to take her ccw class in the very near future. All in all, a happy outcome for everyone. Just took some patience and understanding. Best of luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
19,449 Posts
Good show! Which range are you headed to?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I remember when I took my wife for the first time. She did love it! Good luck.

GeorgiaCarry

Reactions: NewtownSam

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, back from the range...she loved it. I wish I had the presence of mind to snap some pics, but she was soaking up info as fast as I could fork it over! She had absolutely zero issues with my SR9c. At 7 paces she was nailing the silhouette at dead center mass.
We went to Wooster Mountain, an outdoor range in Danbury, Ct.
All in all, a fantastic experience. On the drive home she hinted at the fact that she would like some professional training- she thought I was going to be offended- far from it! I told her that training is the best investment you can make when it comes to self defense, and while I can teach her to safely handle a firearm and hit a target, pro instructors have forgotten more than I may ever know, and that I want more training too! :D

We are already planning on going again next weekend, so I promise to get pics.

Thank you all for your wise advice!

Respectfully,
Sam
Sent from my XT907

·
Super Moderator
19,449 Posts
Good to hear it went well!

Glad you went to Wooster... the indoor ranges can be a little daunting.

Check out Defense Associates for training and see what they offer in your area.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
On the drive home she hinted at the fact that she would like some professional training- she thought I was going to be offended- far from it! I told her that training is the best investment you can make when it comes to self defense ...
Well, looks like the next few vacations are gonna be "working" (training) ones. Perfect reason to take a few days away, to get well-trained.

Congratulations on the "conversion." Sounds like she's going to be a real terror, accuracy-wise. Gotta love a marksman in the house. :yup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for all the advice again, much of it came in quite handy. I've never taught someone who wasn't on of my little brothers or cousins too shoot before... I had to alter my demeanor a bit as to reflect the fact that I was with my wife: whereas a few slaps upside my younger brother's head quickly taught him to keep his finger off the trigger until ready to fire, I of course would never do such to my wife.
It was a great learning experience for us both.

In fact, today went quite a long way in illustrating how much I DON'T know. A humbling and valuable lesson.

Respectfully,
Sam

Sent from my XT907

·
Registered
431 Posts
On the drive home she hinted at the fact that she would like some professional training- she thought I was going to be offended- far from it! I told her that training is the best investment you can make when it comes to self defense, and while I can teach her to safely handle a firearm and hit a target, pro instructors have forgotten more than I may ever know, and that I want more training too! :D
That's great! Taking classes together could be a lot of fun as well, especially if they teach team defensive shooting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts