Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father-in-law and I went to the gun store/range today here, as they came up to visit and he had never been. We get in our lane, and we're loading up our mags and hear this gigantic KABOOM in the lane next to us. Like, it's a lot even with quality ear protection. Immediately following that blast was a loud curse word. I step back behind the line, and see two guys chuckling and the third, who was at the bench, rubbing his wrists. Turns out the guy had literally never fired a handgun in his life, and today was his first time. The caliber he fired? .44 Magnum. lol. Been a long while since I'd been near a .44 being fired, had forgotten just how loud those things are. But it was a good day. Father-in-law left with a brand new M&P Bodyguard .380 too. Good times.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
My father-in-law and I went to the gun store/range today here, as they came up to visit and he had never been. We get in our lane, and we're loading up our mags and hear this gigantic KABOOM in the lane next to us. Like, it's a lot even with quality ear protection. Immediately following that blast was a loud curse word. I step back behind the line, and see two guys chuckling and the third, who was at the bench, rubbing his wrists. Turns out the guy had literally never fired a handgun in his life, and today was his first time. The caliber he fired? .44 Magnum. lol. Been a long while since I'd been near a .44 being fired, had forgotten just how loud those things are. But it was a good day. Father-in-law left with a brand new M&P Bodyguard .380 too. Good times.
There are a couple of guys that shoot 500S&W at the indoor range I frequent. It will make you stop what you're doing for sure, especially since the concussion will damn near shake the gun out of your hand.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah no kidding. I felt the blast just as much as I heard it, especially he was in the lane next to me. I had honestly forgotten how intense the blast was from a .44.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
You will find a lot of ranges who if they rent 44-500 mag stuff they tend esp with the 500 to load only one or two rounds to prevent the hole in the ceiling effect ...And yep I really hope his buddies did not do the here try this gun gag esp indoors ..

At least they should have used 44 sepcial in a mag that is fun and easy to shoot

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
You will find a lot of ranges who if they rent 44-500 mag stuff they tend esp with the 500 to load only one or two rounds to prevent the hole in the ceiling effect ...And yep I really hope his buddies did not do the here try this gun gag esp indoors ..

At least they should have used 44 sepcial in a mag that is fun and easy to shoot
At my LGR, 500S&W, 50AE, 454 Casull, and 44MAG are the only caliber guns that they rent and don't make you buy a whole box. Instead they sell in multiples of 5, since most people that rent hand cannons won't shoot but just a few rounds.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

No, I don't think they did that. I didn't get the full story, but I'm pretty certain they prepared him as much as they could for pretty much firing a hand bazooka. But one of those things, no amount of verbal prep can prepare you. Much like the first time I fired a .357 a great many years ago. Just have to experience it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My son has three 44 mags (two Desert Eagles and a S&W custom revolver) My first time shooting a 44 was one of the eagles. because os its size and weight there is not much recoil but they do make a heck of a lot of noise.

A few months ago we made a big mistake. My wife joined us on a range visit. This was her very first time at a range and shooting a handgun (my Sig Mosquito). My wife and I were in one lane and our son in the next lane. He started with one of his eagles. When my wife heard his first shot she jumped and was ready to leave. My son decided to go with a G19 instead.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
Okay I will be the spoil sport here but I totally disagree with letting someone with no experience fire a 44Mag or anything heavier without exposure to lesser calibers. I have seen people not used to the recoil get smacked between the eyes with the front sight or the gun flying out of their hands. I did once had a woman ask me to let her fire a 44Mag, I would only do it after I started her with a 22LR, 38SPL, 357Mag , 44Spl then finally the 44Mag. Took a few range trips but we had great fun and she not only shot the 44Mag well but she was better than me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I will be the spoil sport here but I totally disagree with letting someone with no experience fire a 44Mag or anything heavier without exposure to lesser calibers. I have seen people not used to the recoil get smacked between the eyes with the front sight or the gun flying out of their hands. I did once had a woman ask me to let her fire a 44Mag, I would only do it after I started her with a 22LR, 38SPL, 357Mag , 44Spl then finally the 44Mag. Took a few range trips but we had great fun and she not only shot the 44Mag well but she was better than me.
I completely 100% agree with you.

·
Registered
631 Posts
In college I took a Japanese foreign exchange student out shooting. She had never seen a gun before and I gave her a snub nose 38 special. She fired it once and was done for the day. I wish I had a 44 mag back then.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I find nothing amusing about having an inexperienced shooter fire a large caliber hand cannon. As a matter of fact I think it's irresponsible. Not only can it cause someone who might otherwise find shooting to be enjoyable and relaxing pastime, to turn off totally against the sport. It can be downright dangerous. They can wind up with a serious gash, (possibly needing stitches) due to the recoil. Or worse. Panic, fireing off a second round when the muzzle is not pointed in a safe direction.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I find nothing amusing about having an inexperienced shooter fire a large caliber hand cannon. As a matter of fact I think it's irresponsible. Not only can it cause someone who might otherwise find shooting to be enjoyable and relaxing pastime, to turn off totally against the sport. It can be downright dangerous. They can wind up with a serious gash, (possibly needing stitches) due to the recoil. Or worse. Panic, fireing off a second round when the muzzle is not pointed in a safe direction.
I would say firing a second shot may be plausible, but not likely with a revolver. I don't disagree that an inexperienced person should shoot a 44 mag. Actually a 44 Mag is best suited for hunting game, and not a good idea for SD.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I find nothing amusing about having an inexperienced shooter fire a large caliber hand cannon.
Nah, as others have said a snub .38 would be irresponsible. A large .44 doesn't have much recoil, just intimidating size.

Having experienced a small .38 revolver and some small .380 semi automatics, I was hesitant to try the 9mm Sig P938 that my mother bought. I was pleasantly surprised at how little recoil it had, less than my Glock even.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
As a well-experienced Poppa & Grandpoppa, I'm acutely aware of the concept of "indoor" activities/voices & "outdoor" activities/voices. Some calibers, IMHO, should be restricted to OUTDOOR USE ONLY. I'll go beyond that after an afternoon with the .50 BMG. Some calibers should have a restriction of OUTDOOR &...ALONE! :blackeye:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Absolutely agree. Nothing good comes from that type of experience. Nothing for the shooter, the sport, or the right to keep and bear arms. Writing on every level.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Well, I've let several first timers have at it with my Super Blackhawk and all I've ever noticed was smiles and laughs. A quick demonstration and some reasonably good coaching goes along way.

If I wanted newbies to view me as an untrustworthy person I'd just give them my LCP and tell them not to worry - it's a tiny gun. :embarassed:

Reactions: ca survivor

·
Registered
887 Posts
Not a very good way of starting a new shooter. Sounds like his two friends thought it was a big joke. Wouldn't have been a joke if their friend was injured.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts