·
Administrator
143,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R U In The Military NOW?
Tell me about MREs

So...which ones are the good ones?

What is a fair price to pay.

I pretty much know Nada (AKA Nothing) about Meals Ready To Eat.

Anything to watch out for when ordering some?

Any of them really awful? :dead:

I want to buy some for this fall when I head out into the deep scary woods for a couple/few weeks.

Any place BETTER than any other place to order them?

Any Information on MREs Feel FREE to Put it Here.

All thoughts, Comments, Opinions, Suggestions, WELCOME.

Thanks.
QKS

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Well, if you routinely go out into the woods, you're probably accustomed to eating wierd stuff, such as SPAM and other such foods. If you can stand SPAM, then you'll be good to eat anything that comes out of an MRE. The WORST stuff is no worse than SPAM. I like almost all. Even the ones that aren't great, are definitely edible.

WARNING>>>>>> MREs will 'change' your ''routine''. You will get plugged up for a day or four. When "it" finally comes, you'll go like there's no tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Some will depend on individual taste. I liked the gen 2-3 meals ecept for the frankfurters and omlet meals. The chicken ala king was good occasionally. I have not tried any recent meals yet that I liked.
Plan on 1 MRE a day or perhaps 2 most , unless you are really working hard all day long. they have about 3,000 calories or so. I usually would eat a little at a time.
A cheaper way to go , might be get the main meals and supplement w/ your own cheese, crackers ect. Are you hiking? If so remove the outer packages for less weight.
Finally, do plan on much TP use while eating MRE's.:hand5: :embarassed:

·
Registered
216 Posts
jarhead79 said:
WARNING>>>>>> MREs will 'change' your ''routine''. You will get plugged up for a day or four. When "it" finally comes, you'll go like there's no tomorrow.
:haha: No truer words have ever been spoken or typed on a web forum....

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
They're not bad. Super HIGH calorie content, and will tend to plug you up. Be careful when ordering, some folks will sell surplus that are already out of date. The shelf life in a good climate is about 3 to 5 years. You might try Botach.com

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Sounds like a bar of Ex-Lax or whatever brand laxative is favored - should join the trip's provisions LOL!

·
Administrator
143,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Information

"Are you hiking? If so remove the outer packages for less weight."

Yes, and I like to travel as light as possible.

Appreciated info about the change in Bowel Movement Routine.

The concentrated high calorie content will work fine for me.

I hafta jump off now...I'll check back here in the morn. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second the MRE's will change your "routine". They are high in protein so increasing your protein intake a couple weeks before you use them may help a little.

Taste wish they are not all that bad, not near as bad as the old C-rats.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Personally, I think they suck....they all taste incredibly bland.....I much preferred C-rations myself.

The side items are pretty good though.

Not only that, the MRE's give me the worst heartburn.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
my buddy during Gulf war I , saw a starving dog pass on eating an MRE omlet meal. Some of the Mountian House meals are not that bad either, but do require water to cook. I tend to mix MRE meals, dehydrate jerky , and other side foods I package myself for light , easy making meals.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
rocky said:
...saw a starving dog pass on eating an MRE omlet meal.
:rofl: LOL!

I agree with srfl...C-rats were better :hand10:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
...now how many of you still have a P38 on your keychain? (You youngin's may not know what I'm talking about!)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh lord, I got out before MRE's and only had C's. The beans and mofo's were good! :haha:

Dam, I think we are a bunch of old dudes, P-38's rule!!!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,575 Posts
ExSoldier762 said:
Be careful when ordering, some folks will sell surplus that are already out of date.
I can remember eating "C" rats in the late 60's that were WW II Vets!! :rofl:

Long live the P38!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
My personal opinion on MRE's is no. When we used to do field exercises I would loot them for the few edible items and throw the rest away. A few cans of Chef boyardee in your pack can go a long way. :) If you do decide to get/eat them, use the heater. It helps quite a bit in making the meal part bearable.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
SammyIamToday said:
My personal opinion on MRE's is no. When we used to do field exercises I would loot them for the few edible items and throw the rest away. A few cans of Chef boyardee in your pack can go a long way. :) If you do decide to get/eat them, use the heater. It helps quite a bit in making the meal part bearable.
Only problem cans are hearvy for hiking. That and water. My last weekend boonie hike I went with a weekends worth of gear for N. MI summer. 35 lbs including a pistol,ammo and half the weight was water.
If ya get hungry enough , MRE's taste better than roots, berries and grubs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The current generation of MRE's has a pretty good selection of food choices, as well as name brand accesories like Maxwell house coffee, tobasco sauce, etc. My son swears by them: Jambalaya, Pasta and other choices. It's a vast improvement over the old C rats I had in the late 70's (Vietnam era .. still had the four pack of Chesterfields or Pall Mall included)

In fact, remember the fruitcake? We used to throw the cans in the fire just to watch them explode .. that's how bad we hated them.

And yeah.. I do still have a few P38's layin' around :yup:

·
Registered
529 Posts
No matter which one ya have, a steady diet of them (aside from 2,000+ calories each) will give you 2-4 days of "no movement", followed by "DANG! That thing came out of ME?!?!?"

AKA: "Launching a Destroyer"

:blink:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts