Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a funny conversation at my local shop/range. I was talking to sales guy about my class coming up, the gun I had and I was going to conceal and he said he carried a full size glock. I asked him how, and he enlightened me:

"You might need to carry a smaller gun. You are relatively skinny"
Now I'm not too skinny... I powerlift, and although I'm not huge, thought I could conceal a gun because I have a good sized frame.
"What do you mean?"
"Fat people have it easy! See, look"
He grabbed a full size glock from under the counter (I guess his carry was the one in his open holster), checked to make sure it was unloaded, and put it in an appendix carry position in front of his shirt.
"See? The fat molds around it. I could conceal a 1911 if I wanted to"
Sure enough the gun pressed in just enough and if he wore a loose shirt it would be concealed.

:blink:

We had a good laugh. Funny how I learn something new about guns every day, even if it is funny. Myself, however, I will stick to my P11 and 'skinny' frame :tongue:

·
Registered
862 Posts
haha sounds like this guy was a big boy. i'm pretty "husky" (i put it that way to feel better about myself :smile:) and i can't get my gun to stick to me like that...just another excuse to beef up.

But i'm with you...i'll stick with the G27 and MTAC.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
That is funny. You have tons of options for cwp. Takes homework and training, good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bet after a little while it would hurt like the devil. I'm big, I'm fat I carry a 1911 pr a24/7. No way for me I cry to easy.
Peaceful

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My love handles tend to push the butt outward making ccw a bit more difficult. I'm 5'5 and 165.
I'm 6'2" I weigh 260lbs. I wear size 40x31 jeans. CC is an issue. I can OWB carry a LCP and it prints like a S&W 460. IWB is, well, not even an option. It's all I can do to get ME IWB.

I can just imigine me with a Smart Carry. Raise up tummy, fondle for gun, etc etc... It's TMI. (too much information)

For you little fellows, consider yourselves damn lucky.

Merry Christmas:santaclaus:

Craig

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was up at the gas station, this big man, 300 at least, got out of his car and turned his back to me as he pulled down his t shirt. Nestled in his butt crack was an uncle mikes iwb with a sub compact semi auto. He said 'well its the only place I can carry it'

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I was up at the gas station, this big man, 300 at least, got out of his car and turned his back to me as he pulled down his t shirt. Nestled in his butt crack was an uncle mikes iwb with a sub compact semi auto. He said 'well its the only place I can carry it'
I'll be it's a sight to behold when he draws the thing. :rofl:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I feel ya Craig...with the holidays, it's getting even harder to get myself IWB.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm 6'2" I weigh 260lbs. I wear size 40x31 jeans. CC is an issue. I can OWB carry a LCP and it prints like a S&W 460. IWB is, well, not even an option. It's all I can do to get ME IWB.

I can just imigine me with a Smart Carry. Raise up tummy, fondle for gun, etc etc... It's TMI. (too much information)

For you little fellows, consider yourselves damn lucky.

Merry Christmas:santaclaus:

Craig
I hear ya, I'm 6'2 and weigh about 280. I've learned to wear baggy shirts to conceal owb, because like you said, it's all I can do to get me iwb.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
711 Posts
I do not know what you 6 foot and over 260 lbs and over guys are trying to carry IWB; I have carried a P89 and currently carry a PT111 niether of which are/were a problem. I was 290lbs and 6 ft. I am currently 260lbs and still 6ft. The only thing I know is that in my 52 inch pants the guns fit and were concealed per my wife. In my 50 inch pants they do the same. I do were a tshirt between me an the firearm and an untucked dress or other type box bottom shirt as a cover garment; though I have carried with a untucked polo as cover garment and wife-beater as skin shield.

We fat guys just need to do what the skinny ones do; but pant one size large and shirt a bit large instead of what some fat guys and gals do which is wear the clothes skin tight.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The more weight I put on especially around Christmas ,the more the the Glock 19 slide digs into my side I'm 5 feet 11 inches and when I'm under 200 pounds the gun is a comfortable fit. At 223 pounds It's not so good. Back on the diet after Christmas.

·
Registered
85 Posts
DW bobtail in a Pure Kustom Black ops Pro, IWB is extremely comfortable and I'm 5'11'' and about 290. Just seems to disappear with a pair of pant 1 size larger. Santa01

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I guess I can either lose weight to get 1 size smaller than my pants or just keep pocket carrying....I'll probably just keep pocket carrying.

My buddy custom made me some pocket holsters...I'll try to post some pics. They work great and he made them in 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'm a big guy at 6' and 275, but I can easily carry a G19 or G26 IWB at about 3:30-4:30 or over my right kidney palm out. I pocket carry a G26 or 642 most of the time in the summer...

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had a funny conversation at my local shop/range. I was talking to sales guy about my class coming up, the gun I had and I was going to conceal and he said he carried a full size glock. I asked him how, and he enlightened me:

"You might need to carry a smaller gun. You are relatively skinny"
Now I'm not too skinny... I powerlift, and although I'm not huge, thought I could conceal a gun because I have a good sized frame.
"What do you mean?"
"Fat people have it easy! See, look"
He grabbed a full size glock from under the counter (I guess his carry was the one in his open holster), checked to make sure it was unloaded, and put it in an appendix carry position in front of his shirt.
"See? The fat molds around it. I could conceal a 1911 if I wanted to"
Sure enough the gun pressed in just enough and if he wore a loose shirt it would be concealed.

:blink:

We had a good laugh. Funny how I learn something new about guns every day, even if it is funny. Myself, however, I will stick to my P11 and 'skinny' frame :tongue:
Worked for this guy

HPD: Inmate Hides Gun In Fat Layers - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

:rofl:

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I started carrying I was 6'0 and about 185. I have a pretty large frame, so 185 is actually a little skinny for me, I looked underfed. I carried IWB all the time, and thanks in part to my big rib cage, I could conceal handguns like a S&W 4" N-frame without any problem. Now that I have developed love handles, there is no way in the world I could comfortably carry a N-frame IWB. At least for me, more weight has made it a lot harder to carry IWB. I suppose that means its time to loose some if it. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts