Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to "rattle the bars" here on DC,,,,, this thread will be a good jumping off point/conversation starter for all of the Taurus haters.

I recently bought a used Taurus 431,blued, 5 shot, K frame size, 3" barrel, fixed sight, .44 special revolver and I like it. This is the 5th .44 special I've had over the years (Charter Arms Bulldog, S&W 24, Charter Arms Bulldog, Rossi 720 and now the Taurus). I reload for almost every chambering I have so ammo is not a problem. I really like the .44 special cartridge for plinking and defense.
This is my second Taurus revolver that I have owned. The other one was a stainless M85 and it was excellent, but for some reason I sold it. Oh well, for me that is half the fun,,,, hunting for bargains.

Let the Taurus bashing begin. If you started buying handguns before 1976 and/or have owned more than 50 different models/makes of handguns, I'll take your criticism to heart. If you have owned a handful of plastic striker-fired guns over the last 10 or 15 years,,, or have been shooting for only 3 years but have watched a lot of Nutnfancy and other YouTube experts,,,,, I may not pay much attention.

·
Super Moderator
18,483 Posts
Ok. You've done gone and thrown down the gauntlet. I'm in under the wire having purchased the first handgun of my own in December of 1975 and have owned way over 50 different makes and models of handguns. Not certain that validates my opinions because I've not owned a Taurus. The rest of that story is that I'm not going to ever own a Taurus. I've been around too many yucky or busted Taurus guns to ever want one.

In addition to several other Taurus guns he's owned that didn't pan out due to inferior materials and workmanship, my brother-in-law had a new Taurus .44 Special of some flavor a few years back. Was stainless and 3-inch, I don't know the model number. He brought it along on a 3-day shooting expedition we occasionally share down on the Mexican border.

Within two cylinders-full of ammunition fired, the cylinder got in a bind and quit turning. We took a peek inside to find the hand was bent. We straightened it but it didn't remain straight. It was as if it had not been properly heat-treated or else was of some soft inferior steel. The gun was adjusted by Taurus but had to be traded away as he was put off by it. He also had a blued 6-inch Taurus .22 revolver similar to the Smith & Wesson Model 17 in size and weight. Unlike the excellent K-22 Masterpiece, the Taurus had an action feel of a particularly vile flavor of "yuck." Muddy, gritty, and heavy would describe it. Same with a Taurus stainless .357 snub. Oh, and the yucky feeling was after they'd been detail stripped, cleaned, and lubricated.

A rancher friend here in the county had a Taurus Model 66 6-inch blued revolver in which the single-action trigger went haywire. It would still function double-action. I removed the side plate to find the lower portion of the hammer, where the single-action sear would be found, to be missing - just sheared off in an ugly jagged way. Don't know where this fairly good-sized piece of the hammer went as it should have been there, jamming the revolver. To the revolver's credit, it would still function as a double-action. I can't imagine how an entire chunk of a hammer would just break off and go missing. Was the revolver dropped on the cocked hammer? Who knows! He wasn't a real gun man and had no clue. Perhaps he lent it out to someone who broke it, took the broken piece out, buttoned it back up and gave it back without a word. That's all I can come up with. The glaring break was something that should have never occurred. Again, it appeared to be due to inferior materials.

I've seen enough. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus is my watchword.

For additional opinion, stay tuned to this thread for it's certain that plenty of both accolades and vilification will follow. Some very astute moderators here are known to own Taurus guns that have served them quite well.

I do love the .44 Special cartridge however.

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
...This is the 5th .44 special I've had over the years (Charter Arms Bulldog, S&W 24, Charter Arms Bulldog, Rossi 720 and now the Taurus)... I really like the .44 special cartridge for plinking and defense...

Let the Taurus bashing begin. If you started buying handguns before 1976 and/or have owned more than 50 different models/makes of handguns, I'll take your criticism to heart...
No Taurus bashing here. I have a Taurus M44 and while I wouldn't call it my favorite gun, I've had no issues with it.

I like .44 Specials, too! Wonder which Model 24 you have/had? I'm awaiting delivery of a nickel 24-6, and I have been able to find out very little about the gun (except that it really looks nice! :bigsmile:). Was yours a no-dash, a 24-3, or the Classic? Any thoughts to share about it?

BTW, yes, I started buying handguns before 1976 and have owned more than 50 different models/makes of handguns. :yup:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Taurus bashing here. I have a Taurus M44 and while I wouldn't call it my favorite gun, I've had no issues with it.

I like .44 Specials, too! Wonder which Model 24 you have/had? I'm awaiting delivery of a nickel 24-6, and I have been able to find out very little about the gun (except that it really looks nice! :bigsmile:). Was yours a no-dash, a 24-3, or the Classic? Any thoughts to share about it?

BTW, yes, I started buying handguns before 1976 and have owned more than 50 different models/makes of handguns. :yup:
24-3. I bought it in Cheyenne WY in 1983ish for a little over $300.00. Sold it a couple years ago for just under $900.00

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. You've done gone and thrown down the gauntlet. I'm in under the wire having purchased the first handgun of my own in December of 1975 and have owned way over 50 different makes and models of handguns. Not certain that validates my opinions because I've not owned a Taurus. The rest of that story is that I'm not going to ever own a Taurus. I've been around too many yucky or busted Taurus guns to ever want one.

In addition to several other Taurus guns he's owned that didn't pan out due to inferior materials and workmanship, my brother-in-law had a new Taurus .44 Special of some flavor a few years back. Was stainless and 3-inch, I don't know the model number. He brought it along on a 3-day shooting expedition we occasionally share down on the Mexican border.

Within two cylinders-full of ammunition fired, the cylinder got in a bind and quit turning. We took a peek inside to find the hand was bent. We straightened it but it didn't remain straight. It was as if it had not been properly heat-treated or else was of some soft inferior steel. The gun was adjusted by Taurus but had to be traded away as he was put off by it. He also had a blued 6-inch Taurus .22 revolver similar to the Smith & Wesson Model 17 in size and weight. Unlike the excellent K-22 Masterpiece, the Taurus had an action feel of a particularly vile flavor of "yuck." Muddy, gritty, and heavy would describe it. Same with a Taurus stainless .357 snub. Oh, and the yucky feeling was after they'd been detail stripped, cleaned, and lubricated.

A rancher friend here in the county had a Taurus Model 66 6-inch blued revolver in which the single-action trigger went haywire. It would still function double-action. I removed the side plate to find the lower portion of the hammer, where the single-action sear would be found, to be missing - just sheared off in an ugly jagged way. Don't know where this fairly good-sized piece of the hammer went as it should have been there, jamming the revolver. To the revolver's credit, it would still function as a double-action. I can't imagine how an entire chunk of a hammer would just break off and go missing. Was the revolver dropped on the cocked hammer? Who knows! He wasn't a real gun man and had no clue. Perhaps he lent it out to someone who broke it, took the broken piece out, buttoned it back up and gave it back without a word. That's all I can come up with. The glaring break was something that should have never occurred. Again, it appeared to be due to inferior materials.

I've seen enough. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus is my watchword.

For additional opinion, stay tuned to this thread for it's certain that plenty of both accolades and vilification will follow. Some very astute moderators here are known to own Taurus guns that have served them quite well.

I do love the .44 Special cartridge however.
I have read your statement and understand your concerns. ;)

Whenever I buy something like this it is with some concern and a lot of hoping that I "got a good one". I'm not a "Taurus supporter" but have been lucky on my one purchase and I hope this one is good too. I got it at a good price and almost sold it yesterday for $100.00 more than I paid, but I decided to hang on to it for awhile.

I sold the Rossi as it had issues and I probably won't own another Rossi (unless I find a hell of a bargain).

·
Super Moderator
18,483 Posts
Of course, unless things have changed, Rossi guns are cranked out by Taurus, right off the same assembly lines, and have been for some years now. It's not confidence-building for the Taurus brand to hear that a Rossi had issues. If you got into the .44 Special revolver at the right price, and it sounds like you have, then it'd be worth the chance taken if it turns out you got a good one. Taurus does field, and long has fielded, some models that would seem to serve some appealing and useful niches that other revolver makers ignore. I could see myself being interested in them ... if they weren't Tauruses.

Reactions: CLASS3NH

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have the old Interarms M720 .44 Rossi and I'm pretty impressed with it so far but I also hhave a few cents less than $300 in it also, most of what I have read about it is full of praise for it. the Taurus 445 i shot a few times is built a good bit lighter than the 720.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well I havent been buying handguns since '76, and I havent quite racked up 50 of them (getting close though) but I've got 4 tauruses (or taurii?? lol) in the collection and I havent had any issues from any. Nice find. I'm a fan of the .44 special myself, I just wish I had more of them.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have the exact same gun as you, a blued 3" 431. It is one of only three Taurus products I own. Mine exhibits build quality higher than the typical Taurus- no end shake, tight gap, minimal play, which is why I picked it up. It shoots a bit high with 240 gr cowboy loads, so I will try the 200/180/165 gr stuff next. The 90's seem to be a high water mark for Taurus, kinda like S&W.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I've a Model 441... Stainless, 3" barrel, adjustable sights. Thing locks up great, has a really good trigger, and will print a 2 1/2" group at ten yards, offhand, double action. It's an excellent bumming around gun and is used for working on the in-laws' rural property. I carry it on account of coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and the occasional feral dogs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, since I wasn't old enough to buy guns before '76 I'm not sure that I qualify to respond but I have owned (may still do) over 50 makes/models. I used to buy sell trade when $$ were more scarce but after I sold a Belgium Hipower and missed it terribly/regretted...I stopped selling and only bought when I had extra $$. So, I must admit to a bias against Taurus. I have owned two model 85s that were the best feeling snubbies. I loved the little blued model dearly but after a relatively few rounds it shot out of time. Sent it back to Taurus and they rebuilt. It had the sweetest trigger ever, as good as my Smiths, but I just didn't want to keep a gun that I didn't feel could hold up to shooting so I traded. I have been looking for s J frame ever since that could match the trigger but can not find. Guess I need to send off my 642s for trigger jobs. So, no Taurus for me but I think their revos are fine for somone who shoots very little. IMHO

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I don't meet either of your requirements... But your requirements in no way make me incapable of having an informed opinion either. I bought one Taurus... A 657 mag revolver... And it was a turd. Literally. Nib it jammed because the cylinder was not straight in the frame. Gave them 3 tries to fix it. Ended up selling it as a parts gun at a huge loss. I have all quality firearms... Ruger, sw, Springfield, savage, mossberg, marlin, ... If you like your Taurus then enjoy it. The 44 is a great round in any flavor

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hmm, I've owned 2-85's, 1-tracker, 1-455, and 1-Judge PD. Out of these 5 revolvers made by Taurus I've only had 1 problem rise up. On the 85 the screw that holds the cylinder in with loosened up causing the cylinder to fall off. After re-tightening it I have yet to have another problem. And if I had checked I would have caught it before it got to that point.

So I really don't get all this inferior materials stuff when I'd bet the parts are as good as the new S&W parts being put pout there. Wasn't not to long ago S&W had problems with their J-frames?

Taurus revovlers may not be the best thing out there, the old S&W & Rugers take that crown in my book.

Enjoy it I think you should get good service out of it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that Taurus has some OK guns and some that are problem children. I knew when I bought this that it is a roll of the dice every time you buy a Taurus/Rossi/Charter Arms/etc. I took my chances and hopefully it will work out OK. If not, it will go bye-bye. I have a couple of other handguns if this one doesn't work out.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
What's to bash?

Does it say "Made in Brazil" or "Made in Miami" on the frame? It's the Miami stuff that has little QA. Besides the .44SPL was made in the 1990s, not in the past decade.

What's not to like? (Well, the ammo prices.... ) I've been looking for a pristine sample for over a year - in stainless, of course. Now that Charter Arms is coming out with their .45ACP revolver (I really hope it comes with a 3", 3.5" or 4.0" barrel) it may be moot.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
What's to bash?

Does it say "Made in Brazil" or "Made in Miami" on the frame? It's the Miami stuff that has little QA. Besides the .44SPL was made in the 1990s, not in the past decade.

What's not to like? (Well, the ammo prices.... ) I've been looking for a pristine sample for over a year - in stainless, of course. Now that Charter Arms is coming out with their .45ACP revolver (I really hope it comes with a 3", 3.5" or 4.0" barrel) it may be moot.
do you think those grips would fit my M720:image035:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
No Taurus Bashing from me..I own 4 Taurus handguns...Great guns.......and I'm a BIG 44 Spl fan also......And I'm a 431 fan also.......you have a great revolver....

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 441 and 431 are sleepers of the Taurus line. The sad truth of the matter is that for a while in the late 80s and early 90s Taurus made some pretty nice revolvers. I have had 50/50 good/bad luck with every one of their new production revolvers (732 and 905 good, 85 and 617 bad) that I have bought in the last 10-12 years, but the olders ones never gave me any trouble.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,729 Posts
I bought my first rifle in 1962 and my first handgun around 1964. It was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. I have bought, carried, and sold hundreds of guns since 1962. I have never owned a Taurus including Ford's version and I never will.

Reactions: rammerjammer
1 - 20 of 36 Posts