Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about picking up an affordable revolver, and I came across the Taurus 85 with the convertible/removable hammer. I've never seen or heard about these before, but it seems like a neat idea that I'm surprised hasn't been done a long time ago. Does anyone have experience with them?

·
Registered
148 Posts
my first handgun was a gently used steel taurus 85 that i got in mid 1980s. i swapped out the wooden grips for pachmayrs. it remains one of my top favorites, and is a very solid, reliable, accurate and easy shooter. i dont know about the removable hammer but i highly recommend the 85.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Side hammer spurs have worked on Marlins for over a century. No experience with a Taurus convertible, but I think a hammer with a removable spur on a revolver is fine.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I've been thinking about picking up an affordable revolver, and I came across the Taurus 85 with the convertible/removable hammer. I've never seen or heard about these before, but it seems like a neat idea that I'm surprised hasn't been done a long time ago. Does anyone have experience with them?
Are there any actually out there in the wild, or are they vaporware? I've never seen one.

It's an interesting idea, but I think that removable spur would be too easy to loose.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any actually out there in the wild, or are they vaporware? I've never seen one.

It's an interesting idea, but I think that removable spur would be too easy to loose.
Yea I was thinking the same thing about the spur. They are for sale online, so they are currently available, but I reckon not many own or heard about them.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
I have owned and liked the Taurus Model 85. The removable hammer idea seems like an unneeded gimmick to me. I'd buy another Taurus 85. I'd pass on the removable hammer spur.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Neat. I wonder if I could retrofit my 605 with the removable spur.
But yea - I think it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neat. I wonder if I could retrofit my 605 with the removable spur.
But yea - I think it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything.
Smart idea IMHO to have the best of both worlds. Not just a worthless gimmick like the Taurus View.. You could shoot for accuracy at the range or leave the spur on for on the waste-band carry; on the other-hand, you could remove the spur for pocket carry allowing you to fire from the pocket. Lee n. field is right though, I'd probably would loose the spur sooner or later. I wish they came up with a way to allow the spur stay attached to the gun.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
They are good guns the 85 ..I have used a older no lock model and I like this idea to some what ...Heck if the price was right I would bit just for the neat of it

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Smart idea IMHO to have the best of both worlds. Not just a worthless gimmick like the Taurus View.. You could shoot for accuracy at the range or leave the spur on for on the waste-band carry; on the other-hand, you could remove the spur for pocket carry allowing you to fire from the pocket. Lee n. field is right though, I'd probably would loose the spur sooner or later. I wish they came up with a way to allow the spur stay attached to the gun.

I wouldn't bother. You can shoot quite well double action, and target grade accuracy isn't the point of a snubby. I basically agree with those folks that say you ought not to shoot a snub single action, or even have that capability.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't bother. You can shoot quite well double action, and target grade accuracy isn't the point of a snubby. I basically agree with those folks that say you ought not to shoot a snub single action, or even have that capability.
I like having that capability. I already have it in a few of my(safety/decocker) pistols, so I wouldn't mind having it in a revolver as well. The shorter, lighter trigger should aid in the accuracy when plinking/target shooting.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I like having the option with my 38-3 (shrouded hammer). Past fifteen yards I'd suck with it in DA, and as unlikely as it is to need that, I don't see a downside. If the trigger were really good (like a K-frame) I might feel differently, but it isn't.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Looks ok to me. Two guns in one. If I had it I wood probably carry the hammer in a pouch on my belt or in my pocket. I May never need it other than to play out in the woods or at the Range.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think it is very important to have the ability to use the hammer to assist in cocking the gun, in the event some bit of debris gets in the action causing the double-action trigger pull to balk. My snubs all have SA capability though I rarely use it.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I get why folks want a shrouded or bobbed hammer on a small revolver. That said, I prefer hammers on my revolvers - any size. Its an option I like to have.

Overall the 85 is good to go, but I haven't ever handled a convertible. I've never seen one in the wild.

Its an interesting idea. I couldn't really find anything negative online regarding the convertible hammer though. Maybe check out TA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts