Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just recently picked up a Taurus 85 poly in 38 special for carry and I am having a very difficult time finding holsters for it. I did manage to find one from Relentless Tactical and ordered it but I also want an OWB holster for it and everything I find is for the standard m85 which does not fit the poly version. My usual carry is a Walther PPS M2 in 9mm but I have wanted a revolver for a while and got this one for a very good price. It shoots well and is very accurate for me and I want to be able to owb carry it under a shirt this summer. I have looked everywhere, and cant find much made for this gun (or that says it will work) I did find a holster or 2 on Amazon but they are 40-50 dollars for a company ive not heard of. AlienGear claims to make one, but I picked up their Cloak Tuck 3.5 for my Taurus G2s I had and it didnt fit. It was just a holster for the Pt111 G2, you could see the imprint on the kydex in the holster. I called them up and tried to explain to them they are not the exact same gun, they said it was a mistake and would replace it and sent me the exact same shell a 2nd time, so i returned it for a refund.

IMG_20190305_055606192.jpg
IMG_20190305_055648848.jpg

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've got a Poly 85 and you're right, Taurus 85 holsters DO NOT work for it at all. Way different sizes. Unfortunately, not a lot of companies made holsters for it.

You can find a few of the cheaper, generic IWB holsters for it on Ebay. If the company you've never heard of on Amazon is Azula, they are very much worth getting from what I've read. I've not bought one as I don't carry mine, but I've read nothing but good things about Azula and their quality.

The 85 Poly is one of the best poly revolvers I believe. I 100% prefer it over the Ruger LCRs. If you choose to get rid of the large, 3 fingered grip, there's a guy on Ebay who makes a 2 fingered boot grip for it in the same style. It makes it much more concealable.

Good luck, and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the holster for my Taurus 856 from https://www.theholsterstore.net/Default.asp works good. Just look for the Taurus model 85. Pro Carry HD
The 85/856 holsters will not fit the poly 85's as they are bigger and wider. I have never seen a gun so hard to find a holster for, its been out forever and there are tons of 85 holsters but its like hardly no one makes one for the poly protector, ive not had any luck even with a generic fit holster, its either too small and the trigger guard wont fit, or its too large and swallows the gun making it unusable for concealed carry. I have found a couple on Amazon but hate to shell out 40 to 50 dollars on brands i know nothing about.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
The 85/856 holsters will not fit the poly 85's as they are bigger and wider. I have never seen a gun so hard to find a holster for, its been out forever and there are tons of 85 holsters but its like hardly no one makes one for the poly protector, ive not had any luck even with a generic fit holster, its either too small and the trigger guard wont fit, or its too large and swallows the gun making it unusable for concealed carry. I have found a couple on Amazon but hate to shell out 40 to 50 dollars on brands i know nothing about.
I'm a holster maker and the answer is simple. There are no molds for it or the 605 series. If there were I would probably have one since the 605 has done well for me. But I own a 605 and work from my own gun. The only option for us is to own the gun to work from. Personally, I'd take the chance on the 605 poly but all the used ones slip by me before I can get them. But you have to be careful buying guns to make holsters. You either do very well, because you are one of the few folks making them. Or the gun is a dud. I bought a Remington R51 and luckily paid for it before the recall. I've sold 2 holsters for it since.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I'm a holster maker and the answer is simple. There are no molds for it or the 605 series. If there were I would probably have one since the 605 has done well for me. But I own a 605 and work from my own gun. The only option for us is to own the gun to work from. Personally, I'd take the chance on the 605 poly but all the used ones slip by me before I can get them. But you have to be careful buying guns to make holsters. You either do very well, because you are one of the few folks making them. Or the gun is a dud. I bought a Remington R51 and luckily paid for it before the recall. I've sold 2 holsters for it since.
https://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/cooks-molds-holster-molding-prop-for-taurus-poly-protector-605-357-prepped-p-7684.html

·
Registered
3,426 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Hello all,

I just recently picked up a Taurus 85 poly in 38 special for carry and I am having a very difficult time finding holsters for it. I did manage to find one from Relentless Tactical and ordered it but I also want an OWB holster for it and everything I find is for the standard m85 which does not fit the poly version. My usual carry is a Walther PPS M2 in 9mm but I have wanted a revolver for a while and got this one for a very good price. It shoots well and is very accurate for me and I want to be able to owb carry it under a shirt this summer. I have looked everywhere, and cant find much made for this gun (or that says it will work) I did find a holster or 2 on Amazon but they are 40-50 dollars for a company ive not heard of. AlienGear claims to make one, but I picked up their Cloak Tuck 3.5 for my Taurus G2s I had and it didnt fit. It was just a holster for the Pt111 G2, you could see the imprint on the kydex in the holster. I called them up and tried to explain to them they are not the exact same gun, they said it was a mistake and would replace it and sent me the exact same shell a 2nd time, so i returned it for a refund.

View attachment 291012
View attachment 291014

Thanks for the help
Looks like I'll be ordering a 605 poly mold and it's the same size as the 85 poly. If you want OWB leather I can work one up for you.

Thanks. The natural is much better for leather and I can mask off any areas I need to for hybrids myself. I'll be ordering on tonight. I get a lot of requests for it on eBay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a poly 85 .38+P model.

I sold it to help fund a different purchase. Nothing wrong with the gun itself, I just have multiple J frames that do the same thing so it was expendable.

That said as I recall I got a "generic" SP101 holster off ebay or amazon and the poly protector fit just about perfectly in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts