Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first tested the GX4 and later bought one, I was indeed pleased. For myself it was the best shooting Micro that I had shot to date. (and I have shot most of them). I gave a full review on another thread. At the time a posters mentioned that he would wait to see how well they held up after 1,000 rd. Initially I had not planned to do any extensive test as the ammo prices are so high. But I took the challenge. I went through my stash I have accumulated for years and began to set the mark for1,000 rd.
Well, off we went, and The Gun flat out delivered. I shot every kind of ammo to include a very long list of different sizes and weights, steel case, and 5 defense loads.
1,000 rds of totally flawless operation, not one single hiccup. I was going to put a list of all the ammo I shot, but it was just too many. .
When I purchased the gun, I also bought a Second slide assembly with optics cut (Toro). So far I have put another 100 rds through that receiver and again, flawless.

On another note: I have been very pleased with all the ammo coming in from other Countries. Belom, Sars, Balikesir, Sumbro, Igman, and others. They are all 124 gr. I especially like the Belom. And the GX4 shoots it very well. I buy a lot of this ammo from TargetSports and can get it as low as $12.99 a box. Typically $13-15.
At present I have a total of 8 magazine all made from MEC Gar and all function perfect. I now prefer the 13 rd mag which gives me 14 rds of EDC carry and fits excellent in my had. Taurus did a great job on making this mag fit tight and flush.

Once again, I have never owned a Taurus in 4 decades of shooting. So had no bias, one way or the other in my purchase. I bought the gun on merit alone and NOT the price. As I said, I made the investment and have continued. 1100 rds, additional receiver 6 more mags and and 4 holsters. All worth the cost.

Belom 9mm ( I even like the Box)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well done sir! I’ve got nowhere near your round count but mine has been reliable as well. Only mod I’ve made was upgrade the front sight to a night sight purchased from Taurus.
Yep, I put on a Fusion night sight on both receivers (front sight only), I also have a Red Dot I bought for the Toro receiver but have not used it very much. I have a Sig Remeo on my Sig 365 XL but decided to try another less expensive red dot for the Toro so I bought the Sitemark Mini. I do not have a lot of experience with Red Dots, just not into them at this point. It is nice to know that a complete Toro *Slide assembly was only$149.00. I see Taurus now has a Package with the Toro Receiver and a Holson Red Dot for about $325.00

·
Registered
11,977 Posts
40 decades of shooting!? And I thought I was getting old! :ROFLMAO:

And I think you got a slide set up for a red dot, not a receiver. ;)

That aside, I've been very happy with my only Taurus, a TX22. Paid all of $225 for it, best bang for the buck I've ever purchased.

This would be on my radar for sure, but I pocket carry and anything much bigger and especially heavier than a LCP doesn't work for me, particularly in business attire. I really wish someone would resurrect the Rohrbaugh R9s...

Nice review!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
40 decades of shooting!? And I thought I was getting old! :ROFLMAO:

And I think you got a slide set up for a red dot, not a receiver. ;)

That aside, I've been very happy with my only Taurus, a TX22. Paid all of $225 for it, best bang for the buck I've ever purchased.

This would be on my radar for sure, but I pocket carry and anything much bigger and especially heavier than a LCP doesn't work for me, particularly in business attire. I really wish someone would resurrect the Rohrbaugh R9s...

Nice review!
With that kind of experience, he should be able to put Hickok45 to shame. 😂

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I first tested the GX4 and later bought one, I was indeed pleased. For myself it was the best shooting Micro that I had shot to date. (and I have shot most of them). I gave a full review on another thread. At the time a posters mentioned that he would wait to see how well they held up after 1,000 rd. Initially I had not planned to do any extensive test as the ammo prices are so high. But I took the challenge. I went through my stash I have accumulated for years and began to set the mark for1,000 rd.
Well, off we went, and The Gun flat out delivered. I shot every kind of ammo to include a very long list of different sizes and weights, steel case, and 5 defense loads.
1,000 rds of totally flawless operation, not one single hiccup. I was going to put a list of all the ammo I shot, but it was just too many. .
When I purchased the gun, I also bought a Second receiver with optics cut (Toro). So far I have put another 100 rds through that receiver and again, flawless.

On another note: I have been very pleased with all the ammo coming in from other Countries. Belom, Sars, Balikesir, Sumbro, Igman, and others. They are all 124 gr. I especially like the Belom. And the GX4 shoots it very well. I buy a lot of this ammo from TargetSports and can get it as low as $12.99 a box. Typically $13-15.
At present I have a total of 8 magazine all made from MEC Gar and all function perfect. I now prefer the 13 rd mag which gives me 14 rds of EDC carry and fits excellent in my had. Taurus did a great job on making this mag fit tight and flush.

Once again, I have never owned a Taurus in 40 decades of shooting. So had no bias, one way or the other in my purchase. I bought the gun on merit alone and NOT the price. As I said, I made the investment and have continued. 1100 rds, additional receiver 6 more mags and and 4 holsters. All worth the cost.

Thanks for the review Pocketgunner. I have a similar rd count on mine, and have had zero issues with multiple types of ammo. It’s a fun shooten little weapon, and have grown to really like it. I’ll add, the finish is a little thin or something, and will likely not look that great in a couple years, but for $239.00 on GB, that’s fine with me

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I purchased the gun, I also bought a Second receiver with optics cut (Toro). So far I have put another 100 rds through that receiver and again, flawless.

Once again, I have never owned a Taurus in 40 decades of shooting. So had no bias, one way or the other in my purchase. I bought the gun on merit alone and NOT the price. As I said, I made the investment and have continued. 1100 rds, additional receiver 6 more mags and and 4 holsters. All worth the cost.

As for upgrades I added a Fusion front sight and a Houge handAll grip sleeve. Steve, the Rep at Houge told me the best fit would be the one designed for the Ruger Security-9, item # 17710, as they don’t make one for the GX4 yet

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have 4 13rd mags, 3 11 rd mags and 1 10 rd mag.During the testing I used all the mags except for the 10 rd. I have not had any issues with any of the mags. Just a note. What is also nice is you can purchase extra magazine springs from their store as well as Recoil springs at a very reasonable cost. I believe it is $9.99. I always buy extra for all my firearms. Really OCD about magazines.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 4 13rd mags, 3 11 rd mags and 1 10 rd mag.During the testing I used all the mags except for the 10 rd. I have not had any issues with any of the mags. Just a note. What is also nice is you can purchase extra magazine springs from their store as well as Recoil springs at a very reasonable cost. I believe it is $9.99. I always buy extra for all my firearms. Really OCD about magazines.
Thanks, for two of my 11 rd, I bought their 2 plus extension setup that came with springs, and seems to work well

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Afternoon, After much searching, it sounds like Wranglers Relaxed Fit, or Carhartt’s Double front jeans might be the ticket, but would still like your input if possible
Thanks
Thanks for asking. To be honest, I think it depends on your particular size and Comfort. If your are referring the the GX4, I personally would not carry it or any gun that size in my pocket. But others do so they would be able to give you better advice. I only carry the pocket guns like LCP, Kah,r Pico in a pocket.sometimes a 642. I just wear standard jeans and standard cargo shorts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for asking. To be honest, I think it depends on your particular size and Comfort. If your are referring the the GX4, I personally would not carry it or any gun that size in my pocket. But others do so they would be able to give you better advice. I only carry the pocket guns like LCP, Kah,r Pico in a pocket.sometimes a 642. I just wear standard jeans and standard cargo shorts.
Thanks, with the Vedder pocket locker, it seems to work pretty well with the GX4, would just like slightly bigger pockets

Ken

1 - 20 of 42 Posts