Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to share this with you. I retired my ( don't laugh Jennings J -22 ) When I got my carry this year , the Jennings was always in the glove box. For last 20 years it was a gun that would jam some times I bought it new but thought I would get a newer more reliable glove box 22. I bought a new Taurus P -22 last month , I took it to range that day. That gun fired 3 rounds and trigger broke I took back to the shop that day, they gave me another one .This one had had terrible problems for first say 300 rounds jams on every clip and misfire .Using CCI , Stingers , etc.

Third trip to range it started to clear up and almost run a full clip most of time ,Then I lost the trigger with this one at say 350 rounds took back to shop they looked at it ( at this point I asked for a refund) They had gun smith fix it on sight said the grips were hagging up the trigger took back to range that day ran another 200 rounds threw with almost no issues , the gun now has about 500 rounds threw .Keep in mind this one will stay pretty much in car as a back up .Any one else have a problem with Taurus and P - 22. I have a Kel Tec .380 and 442 for main carry?

Thanks .

·
Registered
136 Posts
I retired my ( don't laugh Jennings J -22 )
CAN'T... RESIST...

LOL :aargh4:

Our local gun shop has one for sale on it with a sign that says "Don't buy this large piece of *stuff*. Like all of them it jams. "

Why they have it for sale, I've no idea. but I can't help but giggle at a Jennings, you're asking the impossible there.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I've seen a few lemon PT22s, One remarkable example would lead the barrel bad enough to start keyholing with one Magazine worth of shooting. Numerous failures with the "pearl" grips. I woulldn't buy one I couldn't shoot a few hundred times to test before I paid for it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CAN'T... RESIST...

LOL :aargh4:

Our local gun shop has one for sale on it with a sign that says "Don't buy this large piece of *stuff*. Like all of them it jams. "

Why they have it for sale, I've no idea. but I can't help but giggle at a Jennings, you're asking the impossible there.
Belive it or not the Jennings that was over 20 years old

most likely had no more than say 200 rounds thew it for the life

of Gun and had less jams and mis fires than the P-22 had

in say 300 rounds :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
thats funny...i have a little jimenez ja380 i play with at the range...never a jam...never a misfire and damned accurate little gun...not a carry piece but a crapload of fun to shoot for just a few bucks...

ive heard a lot of the real small .22 have their share of issues and it doesnt surprise me...theyre built pretty light and the absence of jacketed ammo could cause some issues...those little .22 rounds are pretty soft in the nose and i have an occassional jam in my smith pistol where the round will go nose first into the feed ramp and bend almost in half if the gun is dirty enough on a day with lots of .22 shooting...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got one several years back. I had a problem with jamming for a short while. Sounds strange but my problem was putting too many rounds in the magazine. If I use seven (7) rounds in the magazine I seldom get a stove pipe. On occasion I still get a jam but I think it's the ammo vice the gun. Using CCI mini-mags never a problem.

Sure is fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Very strange. We sell a lot of PT-22s, and never had one that didn't work perfectly. I have shot them, and been impressed with both the reliability and accuracy. Your bad luck really surprises me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
J 22's

I bought 2 J-22's many many years ago, one for myself and one for my Mom. Mine sports a black finish, looks like a homeless hooker but is reliable as it gets, never jams. My Moms stayed in the box was never shot and was recently replaced by what had been my LCP :hand5: her nickle jennings was pristine and jams like heck, every other shot it seems plus it doesn't always extract meaning double feed jams. It's a paperweight at best. This is the definition of poor quality control.
I don't know about you but I simply will not trust a life to a gun that has issues like your Taurus. Make the A-hole that sold it to you make good on a trade at least. If it must be a 22:dead: then get something RELIABLE. Ruger, Walther, Sig, Beretta immediately come to mind. IMHO a revolver is a better choice for this use than a semi auto but it's your money. 22's are for paper punching, tin cans and squirrels.
I am guessing that you use this for plinking and very last chance back up? If not, and it is for self defense I strongly recommend a SS .38 revolver with +P Hollowpoints or Glock 9 with +P JHP's.:bier:

·
Registered
471 Posts
those little guns dont have extractors, do they? I shot one once, but it failed to extract every other round. Maybe using higher velocity round would work. Neat, little inexpensive gun, but I coud not trust the one I shot. I used to think all 22's were dirty little beasts that were not reliable, until I bought a Buckmark 5". Amazing accuracy.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I had a PT22 that was very accurate, and I never had any problems with it. I would still have it, but it was stolen. Great little pocket gun, and suprisingly accurate.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
You get what you pay for...how much is your life worth?
Stick with the 442 and dump the junk.OMO:22a:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts