Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may like this info , some may not . In early November
I decided to retire my Jennings J -22 of 20 plus years with a new
22. I bought a new Taurus P - 22 and traded the Jennings with deal.
I went to range with new gun the same day ,the Taurus fired about
5 rounds ( CCI ) and lost the trigger , I took back to dealer and they
gave me 2nd gun .That gun I have since November ran about 500
plus rounds threw the 1 st 300 round or so were the worst fight I have
had with any gun owned it would not fire a full clip with out jams and
misfires , at about 400 round it started to almost run a full clip .
In mid December 500 rounds I lost trigger , back to dealer they took
apart and stated it was in grips and shaved down the grips.
I went to range today with 100 rounds fired about 30 agian misfire
every clip and jams then lost trigger agian.I took it back got a refund
from dealer and bought a Kel Tec P - 32 .Went back to range with that ran 75 rounds with out a problem .I also have a Kel Tec .380
that has been flawless also .I just wanted to let folks know what
kind a problems two times with a Taurus . This is the first time I have
every owned them and don't look to every buy from them agian.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would say most micro semi-auto 22's are going to have jam problems. They like to run hyper ammo for the most part.

As far as loosing the trigger I couldn't tell you. Fall out , break off ????

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say most micro semi-auto 22's are going to have jam problems. They like to run hyper ammo for the most part.

As far as loosing the trigger I couldn't tell you. Fall out , break off ????

No should have been more clear sorry.

The trigger would not click or fire a round

It's a real shame too I liiked the fit and finish of the gun

and the design of gun also with the barrel fliped up .

If and when I ever buy another .22 it will be a revolver only.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Kel Tec P3At has run perfect for me.

·
Super Moderator
19,563 Posts
Not sure what you're looking for in a .22 pistol, hopefully not a defense weapon. My strong suggestion is to look for a Ruger .22 auto - Mk II is my favorite, although it's been replaced by the MkIII.

I have two - a Mk II and a 22/45 Mk II, both with 5.5" bull barrels and adjustable sights. With decent ammo (bulk .22s that come in a big box of 500 rounds are not "decent" IMO), both guns havd demonstrated superlative reliability for thousands of rounds.

You should be able to find a good used one for under $300.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hotwing,
I saw your post on another forum and it sent to thinking about the P22, its an older model that seems to have been discontinued by Taurus. The Taurus .22 pocket pistols are a copy of the Biretta Bob Cat which are about a $100.00 more. I've ordered several of the Taurus .22s for customers, mostly ladies. I've never got one back for any reason; but that may be due to the ladies not taking them to the range.

One thing I've noticed about the Taurus pocket pistols in .22, .25 and 32 is that they are tight out of the box. I think with CNC machining the tolerances may be a bit too close for the small caliber. The slide may require deburring and maybe a bit of lapping.

I personally own several Taurus pistols, namely PT 145, PT140, 85 CH SS and they all run flawlessly. The 145 and 140 are very accurate and I carry the 145 almost daily. The problems you had are most likely the reason the P22 isn't available any more from Taurus. The next time I speak to customer service I will ask them about the P22. Getting rid of it was most likely a good move.

I've never fired a Kel-Tec in the 32 but I pocket carry a P3AT daily and it has been flawless out of the box. However, I did a good deal of work on the trigger to make it more comfortable to run 50 rounds. Mainly I took off the serrations on the face of the trigger and took off the sharp corners front and back and polished it very smooth.

You may want to do that to your 32. Good luck with the Kel-Tec

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I don't know if Beretta still makes it but had one just like the PT-22. I got 1 for my father-in-law about 10 years ago and that little pistol is nothing but reliable.

There are several 22 semi's out there that run just fine. I have 2 S&W 422's, and a Ruger MKIII that are great. They are accurate and eat anything I through down the pipe.

They just aren't pocket pistols. S&W did make a compact version of the 422 can't remember the model number. It would be my choice as my 4" and 6" 422's are good and reliable.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
22 pistols are all very ammo sensitive. Try different labels of ammo until you find what the pistol likes. Premium 22LR with heavier bullets generally work best. After the break-in period, you may find the pistol can reliably handle a wider variety of ammo, including some cheap bulk types.

Since you have both a .32 and a .380 that are more concealable and lighter than your .22, I have to assume you aren't carrying the .22 for self-defense.

·
Registered
471 Posts
These little guns dont have extractors do they? Not to change the subject...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I find most problems with autos are mag related. Some are off center. This means off center of the slide. Some slides are to the right or left. A quick look and some time fix many feed issues.
When it comes to smaller pistols many people forget to check the mags for center and proper spacing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts