Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the deal. My wife accompanied me to a gun show this weekend and she was checking out some pistols for CCW. She found a Taurus PT-111Ti and was real impressed with it. I don't know much about this pistol so was wondering if any one out there owns one and can give their impressions of the gun. She carried a chief special for many years while on police force but she is considering an automatic now. So if you can share your opinions with me I would appreciate it.
Thanks Mike

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Not sure what the Ti is. titanium slide? Anyway, I owned a PT 140. I found the trigger pull too long and heavy for reliable shooting( I trained on a M66 S&W,DA shooting only). Coupled with the snappy recoil (9mm) may not be as bad, a short sight radius, fast slide bluing wear, and the Kb. I experienced I did not find the gun all that good. Taurus did relplace the frame for the cost of shipping, but never gave any reason for the Kb.
Perhaps Taurus has worked out the bugs , but I will not trust their guns again.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Army Cop thanks for the link. I am trying to steer her toward a Glock 19. But ultimately it is going to be her choice.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Maybe show her an XD too. My girlfriend likes hers ,even more than her HK USP compact.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I bought one of the few PT-111s in MA before the door slammed shut (requirements for testing and certification which Taurus will not do for MA due to our A-hole AG).

It has a very long, gritty pull . . . the same for every shot. Therefore the trigger rates as terrible to almost terrible. I've probably only shot ~200 rds thru it and am not impressed. I'm not sure whether I will keep it or get rid of it, and it is extremely rare for me to sell a gun.

I would recommend that she try dry-firing it and see if she can tolerate the trigger.

Additionally, it whacks the web of your hand with a sharp recoil (using 124 or 147gr FMJ). After maybe 30-50 rds, her hand is likely to tell her to quit shooting that gun!

Personally, I'd suggest that she look at a Glock in a size that she could comfortably carry.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LenS thanks for the report. It sounds like we had better avoid this one.
Mike

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
probably for the best.

I have one of the 9mm milleniums with a titanium slide.
A 17 ounce 9mm IS gonna kick a bit.

I rarely shoot more than 3 mags out of it for practice.

I bought it to toss in my truck as a "spare" , and for occasional
use as a BUG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts