Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a good carry gun? I need something small enough to carry and conceal easily. The reviews Ive read are positive, and its quite a bit cheaper than comparable guns. Is it really just a great bargain or is there something I should know that makes it cheaper?

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Taurus is renowned for producing shoddy products. Avoid them like the plague.

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would disagree with rammerjammer. I've had a number of Taurus gun, revolvers and semi's. I've had problems with 2 of the 9mm revolvers, and none with the semi's. I own a PT-111, and it's a good carry gun. 13 rounds of 9mm, easily concealable, and shoots with every trigger pull. I didn't like the sights and upgraded to Williams Fire Sights. I have them on my PT-111 and PT-145. I've also had the 709 Slim, single stack 9mm, and it was a very good carry gun. Rural King has had the 709 for 199.99.

Be aware the Gen 1 series is under a class action suit. You can dick with the safety, while partially racking the slide, and the gun will fire with the safety on. Not sure why someone would do that, but just for your info. If you're looking at a gen 2, it's not involved. Mines a Gen 1 and I'm keeping it.

Reactions: BIGSAM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not a bad pistol. Taurus "had" a bad rep, but since then turned it around. Good quality pistol for a good price. Extremely reliable, at least so far.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I sometimes carry mine when going to known hostile areas with an extra mag. I have a Gen 2, about 500 rounds of different ammo thru it, no issues. I've installed a set of Fiber optic sights $39.99 from Lakeline LLC, well worth it. They also make other accessories for the PT 111 G2. I bought mine from Palmetto when they were selling for $199.00.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I forgot the mention the one I was looking at was the G2.

I was also interested in the 709 slim but it just seems like a low amount in the magazine due to the single stack.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, Ive read (including here) about folks changing the sights on handguns. Is it more for range practice? Im thinking in a real life situation, your target would be within 10 or 15 feet of you. That would be more of a point and shoot, no?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Is this a good carry gun? I need something small enough to carry and conceal easily. The reviews Ive read are positive, and its quite a bit cheaper than comparable guns. Is it really just a great bargain or is there something I should know that makes it cheaper?
No, it isn't a good carry gun.

Yes, everybody does need that.

Yes, it's cheaper for a reason.

No, it isn't a great bargain (except to those who've bought one).

Yes, there IS sometime you "should know that makes it cheaper". (please re-read...the listed answers) :blink:

Reactions: SIXTO

·
Registered
134 Posts
Taurus has a sketchy reputation for a good reason. They've had systemic issues with mass-producing crappy guns that don't work, compounded by a documented history of not being particularly helpful to owners of those guns who tried to get them to fix it.

However, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about those PT111 G2 pistols. Every review I've seen, every guy at the range who had one, they all like it and say it works very well. You can't fully trust that sort of feedback because some people buy stuff and just kind of want it to be great whether it really is or not, but if something doesn't work you will usually find someone saying so and I haven't seen that.

You can find those guns for around 200 bucks. At that price I'd be willing to risk the bad reputation and poor service. It's close to G19 sized and I have absolutely no use for one, or I'd buy one, just because if you get a gun that works for 200 bucks that's a bargain and if it doesn't, you only wasted 200 bucks. If you get one and it works, you trust it and you carry it, then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what I was thinking. the reviews on the G2 have been positive, so maybe Taurus figured it out?

My local cabelas has it for $289.. where might I find it for $200?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Taurus has a sketchy reputation for a good reason. They've had systemic issues with mass-producing crappy guns that don't work, compounded by a documented history of not being particularly helpful to owners of those guns who tried to get them to fix it.

However, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about those PT111 G2 pistols. Every review I've seen, every guy at the range who had one, they all like it and say it works very well. You can't fully trust that sort of feedback because some people buy stuff and just kind of want it to be great whether it really is or not, but if something doesn't work you will usually find someone saying so and I haven't seen that.

You can find those guns for around 200 bucks. At that price I'd be willing to risk the bad reputation and poor service. It's close to G19 sized and I have absolutely no use for one, or I'd buy one, just because if you get a gun that works for 200 bucks that's a bargain and if it doesn't, you only wasted 200 bucks. If you get one and it works, you trust it and you carry it, then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
To clarify, it's slightly skinnier than a Glock 26, and significantly smaller than a G19. It's comparable to a G43, except the handle is slightly longer to accommodate a 12 rd mag.

Thats what I was thinking. the reviews on the G2 have been positive, so maybe Taurus figured it out?

My local cabelas has it for $289.. where might I find it for $200?
Palmetto Armory used to have them for $200, Kentucky Gun Co had the for $209. It's seems like prices have started to rise as the word has gotten out how great they are. From what I read, Taurus decided to drop their prices thru the floor after the problems with the PT111 G1/Millennium. Now that their reputation has recovered somewhat, I think they are starting to bring them back up.

I have a PT111 G2, technically my wife's gun, and Glock 26. The Taurus shoots better (much better trigger) and has been 100% reliable with about 400-500 rounds thru it of several different types. It came with three dot sights that IMO don't need replacing unless you want night sights. Conversely, my G26, which cost twice as much as the PT111 G2, has been problematic and required ~$75 worth of parts plus two or three trips to the range to get it working right, and if I'd had to take it to a gunsmith I'm sure that number would have doubled or tripled.

Gun Review: Taurus PT111 Millenium G2 - The Firearm Blog

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Op the people commenting on the Taurus G2 hate Taurus and are bad mouthing a pistol they never owned. I owned 2 G2s and done a lot of research. If you do you own research on forums and on YouTube which are made by people who actually own, carry, and fired them, the overwhelming response is that they're good to go.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You can find them online for around $220-$230 now.
So, add shipping and $25-30 transfer fee for a total. If you get free shipping it might be worth ordering, but if you can't find free shipping you might just go ahead and buy from Cabelas.

I'd check:

Bud's Guns
CDNN Sports
Sarco, INC
Palmetto
Kentucky Gun Co

I'd bet one of those will be the best price you can find.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
So, add shipping and $25-30 transfer fee for a total. If you get free shipping it might be worth ordering, but if you can't find free shipping you might just go ahead and buy from Cabelas.

I'd check:

Bud's Guns
CDNN Sports
Sarco, INC
Palmetto
Kentucky Gun Co

I'd bet one of those will be the best price you can find.
Buds and KyGunCo offer free shipping, and at various times, several others offer free shipping on Taurus products. So with $20-$30 transfer fees it's around $250-$260 which is worth it if money is an issue compared to $280 AND taxes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I will give those places a look!

One more question, there is also a PT140 G2 that is the same gun in .40 cal. Should I go for this one?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

One more question, there is also a PT140 G2 that is the same gun in .40 cal. Should I go for this one?
Personally, I wouldn't. The PT111 G2 is a pleasure to shoot, but I'm pretty sure a .40 in the same package would be a handful. And while .40 ammo has gotten much easier to find, it is still more expensive than 9mm.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts

I agree with husker. If money is an issue for you, I wouldn't. A box of 100 40s&w is usually a $10 more at Wal-Mart. Might not sound like much now, but it adds up.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have one of the older pt111's (bought about 15 years ago) and its been nothing but reliable and accurate. The newer G2's are even better.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts