Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I want a slightly larger (but still ity bitty by most peoples deffinition) .45 to go with my AMT Backup DAO as my primary CCW.

It still needs to be small and concealable but not as small as my AMT.

It can't be a Glock, yes they always go bang, yes I like them, but, and this is not meant as a bash, I don't find holding onto a cinder block all that comfy ;) Seriously, I have considered a G30 or G36, the G30 was pretty wide and the G36 didn't seem that much narrower for the capacity it gave up.

I don't trust small 1911 type firearms because I have had too many problems in the past...and if I buy an $800 - $1200 gun...it shold work from the getgo PERIOD!

Now I know neither of the choices in the title of this thread are perfect solutions, but they both fit and feel well, have lifetime warranty's and if they don't work I am out around $350, I am willing to gamble at that price, not too rich for my blood.

I do however think that extra mags for the bersa going for $50 is essentially highway robbery, but that is another story.

So between ths two firearms what opinions have you?

And if you can think of another SMALL .45 that I should consider I will...I am not stuck on anything yet.

Worst case I may just have to go back to trying to conceal a .357 wheelie, I never thought I would get so frustrated with trying to find a .45 ccw.

Thanks Guys,

-Rob

·
Registered
230 Posts
I carry the Pt-145. Carefully broke it in. I like it and have had no problems. I looked around for quite awhile.To find the one that fit my BIG hands and was small. Sportsman warehouse has the same stainless model I carry for 3 bills. I have and like Glocks.But for my carry I really wanted the Manual safety(along with the finger off trigger safety) Bought two extra mags.I always carry with one in the pipe.As you should.Another important thing to me ,was that the safety be released with a downward motion,like the 1911.want more info ask me.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Is a Kimber ultra carry or ultra CDP out of the question?:wave:

·
Registered
274 Posts
rfleming said:
OK,
I want a slightly larger (but still ity bitty by most peoples deffinition) .45 to go with my AMT Backup DAO as my primary CCW.
Well, Taurus seems to be on the right track with this one http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=24/7-45BP-12&category=Pistol

Didn't get to load it up and test the recoil, but the one I was checking out last week was really comfy in the hand, and might well draw me away from the 4" XD45 I've been wanting...or maybe not. I suspect it will come down to which one's in stock when I walk in with enough money. :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would strongly recommend the PT-145 Mil-Pro...It's my favorite CCW in a Don Hume paddle and it can be easily carried year-around. The .45 points well, feels natural in the hand, and it's accurate for a self-defense CCW. I have had no FTF issues at all - goes bang everytime. I'm an old revolver guy, so the DAO fits my taste perfectly. For me, the manual safety is an added bonus, just practice .....You'll get use to the longer trigger pull in no time and if you buy one, it'll probably be one of your favorites.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
There are several things to consider when comparing the PT145 to the Bersa 45. The first thing I think of is that the Taurus is DAO and the Bersa SA/DA. For me this would make a big difference. I just don't shoot DAO pistols with double stack mags well. Another point is that the Taurus though not a cinder block is a 2X4 with the corners eased.

I have never handled either of these pistols, but I had a Taurus Millennium Pro PT140 in .40 S&W and my wife has a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9mm. The .45 in each is slightly larger. I no longer have the PT140 because as nice as it was I could not shoot it well. I sold it. I am very confortable with the wife's Bersa and am as accurate with it as with any of my other pistols. The .45 Bersa weighs a bit more than the 9mm, but the grip is the same, so I believe that I would be more comfortable with the Bersa .45 than with the Taurus.

My opinion. :smile:

·
Registered
180 Posts
10-96 said:
The .45 points well, feels natural in the hand, and it's accurate for a self-defense CCW. I have had no FTF issues at all - goes bang everytime. I'm an old revolver guy, so the DAO fits my taste perfectly. For me, the manual safety is an added bonus, just practice .....You'll get use to the longer trigger pull in no time and if you buy one, it'll probably be one of your favorites.
While I did/do have issues with mine (linked in a previous post), I agree that this pistol (for me) does handle and point extremely well, has great sights, and a decent (though long) trigger pull for a DAO. I also liked the manual safety.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hmm, I'm looking at the same choice.

Unfortunately, here in Central Ohio, the Bersa .45 is impossible to find.

I just yesterday ran into the Taurus PT-145C, I think that's what I'ma go with... it's pretty close in size to my T380, yet it's a .45....

That, or start stealing the wife's Taurus 605B (5-shot .357 wheelie -- conceals very well) with more frequency....

Edit: It was labelled PT-145C, but I can't find that model on thier site anywhere, methinks it was a PT-745....

·
Registered
230 Posts
have you taken a look at the pt-745,its a little skinnier.I just checked mine aginst (gunmetals)problems.I have nothing like what hes having.Guess I got a good one.at 7 yards mine shoots a little low.however my glock I had to adjust the rear sight ALOT to the left to get it on.The DAO takes alittle getting used to.It does seem like it a long trigger pull. But it is smooth.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Kahr P45.

A little recoil, but not as bad as most .38 snubbies. Reliable, accurate, concealable.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have Bersa 45 and 9 Ultra Compacts. Both are good guns and outstanding values. I've had the 45 almost 3 years. It's an early model and many early Bersa 45's had issues with weak recoil springs causing FTF/FTE problems. The problem has been resolved and any gun made from '04 on is fine. Earlier models can be upgraded with new parts by contacting the Bersa importer (Eagle Imports) and they usually send the springs free of charge. I replaced the springs and did a few other "improvements" a year or so ago and it's not had a problem with the 300 or so rounds I've fired through it since. I'd recommend going to the main Bersa forum (http://bersatalk.com) and seeing what other owners of the gun have to say.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i really like the bersa/firestorm line. i have the thunder .380 and have fired the .45 on numerous occasions. my primary carry gun is an XD .40 service or xd 9 SC. I occasionally carry the .380 on an ankle holster.

I'm seriously considering getting a firestorm .45 right now. $$ is a little tight and i'm debating holding out 6 months to see if springfield will bring an XD .45 subcompact to the market soon.

other guns i've looked at (and continue to look at):
Para Ordnance (night hawg)
Colt Defender

Are those in the budget?

·
Registered
698 Posts
My choice is the PT-145...why??? I have carried this gun for over two years now as a BUG behind my 1911's and as primary carry in the office. 3000+ rounds of 230gr sledgehammers with ZERO malfunctions. Accuracy for this inexpensive hand cannon is much better than some guns I have costing almost twice as much. I really like the 10+1 capacity. It's easy to carry. I can slip it into a Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster and drop it into the front pocket of most pants and no one know's it's there. I also have several IWB and OWB holsters that it hides in very nicely.

Lot's of folks complain about a gritty tigger but mine was not bad at all right out of the box. The more I shoot it the smoother it gets and mine is now buttery smooth. I am also an old revolver guy and long draw double action is nothing new for me.

The only way it will be replaced is if Springfield comes out with the XD-45 sub-compact and it is as reliable and accurate as the Taurus is. I have an XD-45 in 4" service version and would love to have it's little brother as a BUG.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a mil pro pt145 I bought about 3 weeks ago and so far I have put 350 rounds through it without a single problem of any kind.It is firly light,not much bigger than my p11 and is pretty accurate.I love it. sj :smile:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
After researching the list of availible smaller .45's myself - I decided on Smith & Wesson's CS45 Chief's Special. I am happy with it.
It's TDA. Double action on the first pull and Single action thereafter.

Let us know what you finally wind up with.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I have a tauri pt , pre pro and like it fine ( other than its just a bit thick for ccw imho ) Next on my ccw agenda is another kahr, the .45 when i can swing it remember i bought machines a while back so what little $$ i have now is pretty much commited to tooling for them .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts