Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Taurus PT709 this week and put 50 rounds of cheap FMJ through it today and I love it. I bought it for cc, so small, thin, light, simple, and close range accuracy were important. I consistently hit a paint can from 16 yards, so that meets my defensive accuracy needs. Double taps not a problem. I can slide it in a suit pant pocket with no holster (with the convenintly located thumb safety on) and you can't even tell it's there. I've got more practice ahead, but so far it is sweet and reasonably priced. I've been cc a S&W 442 38 spl revolver, so this was a departure for me. I also have a Ruger P95, so semi 9mm isn't foreign, it's just too big to carry. The thumb and trigger safeties on the PT709 make it a little more comfortable for me to cc a semi 9mm with one in the pipe.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I've got the "Slim" also and love it. I don't carry it as much as my .380 but do sometimes. Depends on what I'm wearing. I've shot about 150 rounds through it and NO problems what so ever. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Glad you're happy with your new pistol... I looked at these today and was really impressed with them...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Be sure and get a good pocket holster that covers the trigger. Without a holster the barrel and slide will ware out the pocket in a short time. Holster will greatly help with printing. Enjoy your 709 and get a holster.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im between the 709 and the Kel-Tec pf9. I have looked at a couple of the Taurus models and really liked them. Hopefully I will get to look at a few of Keltec's pieces soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am left handed, and the safety is on the wrong side for me. I believe this is a striker fired pistol.

For someone who really knows - not just an opinion: Is this safe for me to carry with one in the chamber (and the safety off) in a good pocket holster that covers the trigger?

If attacked close quarters, it would be hard for me to take the safety off while drawing from the pocket with the left hand.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
IMO the Taurus 709 slim is a good choice for CC, and priced to move um out quickly. I think they're gonna sell a bunch of um.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Congrats on finding 'the' new pistola. Finding the perfect EDC is a 'journey', and I suspect that you'll find several 'new' EDC as you gain experience.:hand10:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am left handed, and the safety is on the wrong side for me. I believe this is a striker fired pistol.

For someone who really knows - not just an opinion: Is this safe for me to carry with one in the chamber (and the safety off) in a good pocket holster that covers the trigger?

If attacked close quarters, it would be hard for me to take the safety off while drawing from the pocket with the left hand.
Absolutely. It has a Glock style trigger with a much longer initial takeup.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I considered it, but it seemed larger then the Pf-9 for pocket carry, and the idea of pocket carrying a SA, even with a manual safety made me uncomfortable.

Let us know how it continues to work out for you.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

Absolutely. It has a Glock style trigger with a much longer initial takeup.
i was very impressed by the manual safety and trigger safety on a relatively low priced firearm...i own several taurus pistols along with glock and smith and have to say the taurus have held up their end very well with quality and function...

the 709 has a great pair of sights for a small firearm and has a good feel....i have been toying around with one for light carry...

i have handled the keltec 9s and there is no comparison...as far as range firing goes i dont really consider any of the lightweights great range guns but the taurus grip has a good feel to it compared to the keltecs and handles very well....

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 709 definetly has looks going for it. I really need to feel the trigger on it before I can decide between it and the Keltec PF9.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The trigger took me a little getting used to since I've had mostly revolvers and a Ruger P95 semi. I've fired my buddies Glock .40 cal, but not enough to really compare. It's no big deal to me. Once I put a box or two through it and know what to expect from the trigger, it's not a problem. It has a long initial take-up with zero resistance and then towards the end you experience all of the trigger pull. After about 4 pulls of the trigger, I was wearing a paint can out from 48 feet. Great sights. I need a different holster though. My buddy does custom car interiors...might get him to make me one out of leather.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i bought one and my wife took it from me and it is now what she has on her all the time. she loves it and its pretty accurate. Just remember in the heat of the moment if you ever have to use it you need to turn your thumb safety off. try to train yourself to turn it off everytime you take the gun out.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm going to look at one of these next time I go to the gun store. I want to introduce my GF to a semi-auto and have been eyeballing the Walther PK380 but this may be worth a look too. So far they have been well received and the impressions have been favorable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
recently I looked at that one and went with the Taurus PT145bp...10 rnds in the mag and one in the pipe with a safety that is easy to snick off as you bring it to bear...same with the slim.....I kinda like the trigger on taurus handguns..I know own 3...so far they are dead nuts accurate right out of the box....it takes maybe about a box or two to get used to it..but it's a dang nice weapon ...I carry my bp every chance I can....

Steve

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I was looking at one at a gun show this weekend, it's the first time I've actually seen one. I liked it a lot. Size, quality, etc. all seemed good. I would not be comparing it to a Kel-Tec PF9 (which I have), as I think the Taurus looks like it is much better. It reminds me a bit of the Kahr 9 mm.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was actually looking for a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9mm and they were sold out everywhere. They have all of the same features as my Ruger P95. I looked at dozens of small 9mm (Glock, HK, Kel Tec, all great guns) and the PT709 fit my hand and needs the best. I never could find the Bersa 9, but I did hold the 380 model for comparison. The Slim was great for me and I was sold. Accurate right out of the box, and the thumb safety is easily disengaged while raising (I practice that a lot, like I did with my P95 when I got it). I've been firing the gun and carrying it and it has been great!!!! Like all of my guns, I hope I never have to use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Left Handed Carry of Taurus PT709 Slim

Dont worry about the safety on the side, the trigger safety is all you need as on a Glock. I also don't worry about the slide release because after the slide locks back you can pull the slide back a little and let it go. In fact I find being left handed with this pistol is an advantage for mag changes. Great 9mm for CWC

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
Dont worry about the safety on the side, the trigger safety is all you need as on a Glock. I also don't worry about the slide release because after the slide locks back you can pull the slide back a little and let it go. In fact I find being left handed with this pistol is an advantage for mag changes. Great 9mm for CWC
Only caution with leaving a pistol with a manual safety in the "fire" position is that it is possible for the safety to accidentally get bumped into the "safe" position. IMHO, if you carry a pistol with a safety, you must practice sweeping the safety from "safe" to "fire" as part of the draw, even if you usually leave it in "fire" mode, just in case this happens. My wife is a lefty, and we dealt with this issue by getting her a DAO with no safety - a Ruger LCP.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts