Defensive Carry banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I'll add that shooting a .454 from a Judge will likely be a life altering experience.

And not one I want to try.

45 Colt is pretty dang robust from an N frame S&W; 454 from a smaller lighter gun just seems like a really bad idea.

I'm flinching just thinking about it.
The Raging Judge Magnum is 73 oz. Should soak up the recoil quite well. It looks like the gun from Roger Rabbit.
https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/raging-judge-513/raging-judge-513-revolvers-45-colt-454-casull-6-round-matte-stainless-2/

·
Registered
816 Posts
I wouldn't carry a Raging Bull as an EDC, but I would love to use one for hunting.

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I may live a sheltered life, but I don't recall seeing any published reports of Judge-type guns used to stop attackers. I don't mean by intimidation, I mean by being fired and the projectiles stopping the threat. Has anyone? I remain skeptical of the concept except for some highly specialized situations.
Here you go....

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/02/03/make-my-day-shooter/amp/

Kutchin grabbed his loaded handgun- a Taurus Judge- so named because judges carry this type of weapon in their courtrooms for self- defense. The gun shoots .410 buckshot or .45 caliber bullets.
Not sure if .410 or .45 Colt was used in this case. The original event was also discussed here on our forum:

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/news-good-bad-ugly/105564-make-my-day-law-denver-burglary-leads-fatal-shooting.html

I also remember an event "documented" on forums a few years ago about a preacher who used his Judge to stop a late night carjacking using the four-pellet 000 loading to cause fatal upper chest and neck sounds to his attacker. I searched, but couldn't find any reference to story or his firsthand account.

·
Registered
Various
15,562 Posts
I talked myself out of Taurus Judge for years, but bought a new 3"X3" stainless Judge one day in a weak moment when working at the LGS. I shot a few rounds of 3" .410 buckshot through it and remembered why I had talked myself out of one for years. I put it on consignment and sold it.

If you want one, buy it. If you don't like it, sell it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not a Taurus hater. I'm a Taurus realist.

I have enough experience with various firearms / manufacturers to decide for myself if the one in my hand is worth it or not. That's the thing about Taurus - you might get a great one - you might not. If you think you are someone that can tell the difference - the truth is they have some interesting firearms.

I currently have a couple a Taurus revolvers that I will never part with - a shiny stainless 85 snubby with wood combat style grips that belonged to my wife's grandpappy and a 327 magnum snub as well. I also have a G2 9mm that runs great and a duotone PT1911 that is insanely accurate.

I do have a Rossi Circuit Judge - the carbine version. Whether or not it is a feasible SD choice or hunting weapon is up to each individual - but as far as fun factor - yeah - its a lot of fun. I put a butt stock sleeve on it to hold extra Winchester PD-X ammo and a couple .45LC speed strips. Up close, the PD-X is pretty nasty. The .45LC is plinking accurate for me. I have read articles by folks who hunt deer with it as well. But ultimately for me - its a fun gun.

By all accounts - the Judge is one their firearms that is a success. Whether or not its a feasible SD choice is not my decision to make for you - but I'm of the mind that if you want it and can afford it - get it. I have never regretted buying a gun. If it didn't work or wasn't for me - I just sell it. I only regret the ones I don't buy...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Never tried a Judge, but I ran a couple cylinders of .45 ACP through a S&W Governor one day and it was a very accurate shooter for me. That's not saying much, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I saw a question of what would I use it for. Well, here in Kansas, there isn't exactly a use for .454 Casull. Nothing big enough to require it. So, usage? It's 2 fold. One, when I drive 2 hours north to the family farm, protection from snakes. Although, growing up, I only saw 3 or 4 on the farm. Other than that, probably pops and grins, might be worth having one in the gun cabinet. Home defense? Maybe. It holds more rounds than my .410 shotgun, that's for sure.
FWIW, not familiar with the snakes you have in Kansas but we occasionally get water moccasins in the yard that come out of the bayou near our house which is in a subdivision. Being we are in the city I have used my Crosman 2240 .22 CO2 pistol to kill several fairly good size moccasins 1-2 shots in the back of the head puts them down quite well! .454 Casull seems a bit overkill for snakes although maybe not the Burmese Pythons! I would think that something like a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 would take just about any game that walks or crawls in Kansas and would be much more accurate and can use CCI shotshells in for your snakes. Good luck!

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll echo a few others here when I say that I don't think I'd buy a Taurus just because, let alone one that will fire the 454. The .45 Colt aspect is okay, but the .410 part is a bit awkward from such a short barrel. I remember seeing the commercials for it, a lady using it to defend against an attacker, them shooting a watermelon and it exploding, all the hype. I think the gun is pointless, but if I were going to buy one, I'd get the S&W Governor instead, it doesn't shoot 454 but it will run .45 ACP, but keep in mind that ballistics are pretty bad with that long cylinder and short barrel. For snakes, use a stick or machete or rock or use those CCI shotshells, I've killed several snakes with the .40 and .45 shotshells.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The premise was that a Judge would carry for court self protection
The use was similar to criminal hitman (ref. Bullitt the movie)
The first 1-2 shots are disabling shotgun blasts, then .45 to the head, with a few backups if missing target
Courtroom attackers = short distance
Shotgun + 45 = guaranteed stoppage
For any other purpose, better makes and tools can be had for same price but suggest ... you get what you pay for when shopping.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got one with a 3" chamber just for the fun of it. It rides in my truck for a backup and a snake gun. I keep it loaded with those combination disc and buckshot loads. Also keep a box of 3" 410 no. 6 shot in the truck.

All I have shot through it so far is the 3" no. 6 shot. Pretty heavy recoil but manageable. I was surprised how quickly the pattern spread out. At 25 yards it must have been a 5 foot pattern. It would be easy to jelly a snakes heads at normal snake shooting distances.

I am happy with mine. It will always be in my truck.

View attachment 312916

iu-2.jpeg

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know how recoil would be with a 60 oz Judge but I do know heavy loads out of the Ruger Alaskan are not much fun. I much prefer the .480 Ruger version.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for the input. This is still on my list to get. Maybe not the raging judge version, but one version or another. I will admit, it is not at the top of my list, there's a few things I want to get first, such as a few 1911s, as well as a couple more long guns. It also depends on deals I run into, I might be able to squeeze it in sooner than later.

·
Super Moderator
18,263 Posts
I'll echo a few others here when I say that I don't think I'd buy a Taurus just because, let alone one that will fire the 454. The .45 Colt aspect is okay, but the .410 part is a bit awkward from such a short barrel. I remember seeing the commercials for it, a lady using it to defend against an attacker, them shooting a watermelon and it exploding, all the hype. I think the gun is pointless, but if I were going to buy one, I'd get the S&W Governor instead, it doesn't shoot 454 but it will run .45 ACP, but keep in mind that ballistics are pretty bad with that long cylinder and short barrel. For snakes, use a stick or machete or rock or use those CCI shotshells, I've killed several snakes with the .40 and .45 shotshells.
Good grief!

There's no call to be sensible here about the topic at hand.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Raging Judge is a YUGE handgun! I think the 3" version is about the size of a Desert Eagle.

I do have a customer that uses his for home defense in an apartment. He keeps it loaded with.410 shells for that purpose. His is the 3" barrel version. The thing wouldn't fit in my normal size safe (FAS1-Magnum) for a .357/.44 magnum handgun with a 4" barrel. It wouldn't even come close to fitting the holster.

He ended up with one of my safes that is designed for full size 6" revolvers (Magnum XL) and I installed a holster that we normally use for guns with a weapon mounted light and RMR. The safe is 15-3/4" long for reference. He sent me this pic below and you can see it wouldn't even properly fit in this holster.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I’ve owned several models of Judge in the 410/45Colt. I’ve also owned a S&W Governor with CT Laser Grips. The latter was by far the superior product. One of the more common issues I encountered with all Taurus firearms over the last twenty years is an annoying predilection to accidentally SET the key lock while dry firing or manipulating the cylinder. That could be a fatal problem in an emergency. The Governor was a great product. But I purchased it for my wife to carry because I thought the recoil might be less than her original.45 I bought her when we were first married in 1988. The recoil on all this class of firearm is absolutely BRUTAL. In excess of a .44 magnum IMHO. For a lady in her mid sixties and having suffered through a permanently debilitating Cancer. No way. Not now. When we first MET, our first date was to Church. Second date was to the RANGE and she loved it so much she developed a healthy lust for my original Remington Rand WW2 era 1911. In order to hang onto the only gun I’ve ever named (Betsy), I went out and bought her a Colt Combat Commander in 45acp. But then a few years later came the Cancer and her life was forever altered. Currently I’d have to day her best bet is a .22WMR in terms of ccw. But we go almost everywhere together and I’m always carrying.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts