Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't expect to see these available till 2010, but my LGS had 2 in the case and I bought one today with stainless steel slide.

Caliber - .380 ACP
Action - DAO
Capacity - 6+1 or 8+1 w/extended mag
Length - 5.2"
Height - 3.75"
Width - .87"
Fixed Sights
Trigger Pull - 5-7 lbs
Weight - 10.2 oz

I think that TCP stands for Taurus Compact Pistol. It is obvious that Taurus is wanting this pistol to compete directly with the Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP. Here is what I found that the TCP has over the competition:

1) Slide lock that locks open after last round is fired.
2) Loaded chamber indicator
3) Not great sights, but a little better than the Kel-Tec & Ruger
4) Trigger does not stack much at all and breaks cleanly.

Comes with a carrying case you can hook on your belt with magnetic closures. I'll update this post again with a range report later.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Wow, nice CC piece. If it weren't so hard to find 380 ammo where I live, that's what I would have bought. Looks and sounds so much like my Taurus PT709, which is basically the same piece just slightly larger in 9mm Luger. It's specs are below for comparison.

CALIBER: 9MM Luger
CAPACITY: 7+1
OVERALL LENGTH: 6"
WIDTH: .950"
HEIGHT: 4.25"
WEIGHT: 19 oz.
SIGHTS: 3-dot low profile
TRIGGER: SA (DA if FTF)

1) Slide lock that locks open after last round is fired.
2) Loaded chamber indicator
3) Great sights!!!! Rear adjustable but dead on out of the box!
4) Trigger does not stack much at all and breaks cleanly.
5) Conventiently located thumb safety for right hander.

I've got some pics of it compared to my Ruger P95 posted in a thread in this forum...scroll down several rows if you like. Let us know how it goes on the range. I'm interested in how it shoots and handles. If it is at all similar to my PT709, you'll love it. Nice!!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
This looks interesting. I have been going back and forth about the P3AT, the LCP, and more recently the Kahr P380. The one thing the Kahr had over the others was the last round hold open. It looks like there is a new contender.

Based on the dimensions listed it seems to be the biggest of those listed above. Does it do well for pocket carry?

I'll be very interested in a range report when you can find some ammo.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Nice pistol, I like it.... Yeah, I think Ruger messed up by not having the slide lock on the last round. Goofy IMO, I still can't figure out why they did that, or couldn't apply it to the design. Again, Nice pistol. I think I'd opt to use some other carry method, but it's an option I guess. Did it come with one mag or two?

GBK

·
Registered
552 Posts
Very, very nice. I've been thinking of adding a .380 for deep concealment, but haven't decided on which. The TCP would be a little too new for me, but I really like how it looks. I'm not sure if I should wait a year or so to see how the TCP works out or just get the LCP now. I like the TCP.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ive been bugging my local shop for months waiting for that sucker to come out...guess ive got to start spending some more time dogging him...

what were they selling for?...

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Not bad looking pistol, or should I say, "That's a 'BAD' looking pistol"?
Either way it looks like it has CC potential, I just prefer to buy them after they have proven themselves...keep us posted.:image035:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Until I know all the bugs are worked out of the TCP I will stick with my dependable P3AT.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think that is a very promising gun, with the little extras, it could unseat the LCP as "the" 380 to own. Enjoy and let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There is one thing that makes me sit up and go "Ooooooh" last round slide lock. For that one addition it makes it worth 336dollar MSRP. The LCP and the P3AT both dont, and that is the main reason I havent gotten one of those two.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I paid $309 for the stainless version. I think the MSRP is in the $350 range. Less for the blued model. Another plus over Kel-Tec and the Ruger is that it came with 2 mags.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I was fondling a stainless one at the shop on Monday. Seems like Taurus did a nice job on that one. Had a decent trigger and a good feel for being so small. Price was $279.

·
Registered
477 Posts
How's the play between the slide and the frame?

That's about the only thing I don't like about my LCP very much, just seems flimsy! The TCP looks like it may just be made a little better from pictures anyway.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Range Report

Range Report: I did a cleaning to the TCP before going to the range. I ran 100 rounds of Blazer, WWB and Federal Hydroshok through it. I had no FTE's or FTF's. I did have one instance where the slide locked open when the magazine had one cartridge left to load. Accuracy was way better than the Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT. During one session, I hit 21 out of 24 rounds within the 9 circle on a B34 target (real good for me). The gun was snappy and like to jump in my hand a little bit. I put my shooting gloves on after the first magazine to help with the sting. After the range visit I cleaned it up again. I noticed the plastic mag follower in the magazine has a metal insert in it to prevent wear when engaging the slide lock (another plus).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts