Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a local gun store, and there it was...an all black TX22. For $256, including free range passes. At that price, I couldn’t pass it up. Comes with two 16 round mags and a suppressor adapter.

I don’t normally like manual thumb safeties, but that’s what they had. Since this is going to be a fun gun and possibly a trainer, I don’t mind it. Heck, maybe I’ll get used to it and open myself up to other carry options down the road.

This is my first Taurus, and I’ve heard all the horror stories. However, I have seen nothing but positive reviews of this model, and it’s made in USA. For the money, I’m willing to give it a shot.

Took it apart, intending to clean and lube before I take it to the range within the next few days...and was pleasantly surprised how clean it was, and already oiled. So far, so good.

The upcoming Glock 44 is listing for $100 more on pre order, has 10 round mags, and isn’t suppressor ready. While it’s probably more reliable, I don’t need absolute reliability for a fun gun. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Range report to follow.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it straight out of the box (seemed clean and lubed from the factory) and fired about 200 CCI Mini Mags. In the first 50, had three feed failures...one had the cartridge stuck halfway into the chamber, and had to be removed with my pocket knife.

After that, the pistol smoothed out and started running like the proverbial sewing machine.

Then switched to Remington Golden Bullets, to really challenge the gun. This ammo is dirty, and the bullets are often loose in the cartridge. I use them only in my bolt action rifle and revolvers because of this. Well, the TX22 ate them like candy...another 200 rounds or so. A few duds, but that’s an ammo issue, not a gun issue.

I adjusted the rear sight, and one inch groups at 7 yards for a whole magazine were no problem.

It’s still early, but with at least 400 rounds through it, this seems like a winner. Cheap fun!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol! Sounds like it will be a good one.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of months but shot it for the first time yesterday. I put 100 rounds of mini-mags downrange with nary a problem. I think the TX22 will make a nice little trainer.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put another 200 or so through it, last of my Golden Bullets and mostly Mini Mags. Had a few feed failures and ignition failures. For a fun gun, it’s a great value.

I did note that the Mini Mags has a thicker waxy coating than the Golden Bullets. Not sure this is a good thing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have one. The trigger is superb for a striker-fired gun, especially a .22. Other than the cheap adjustable rear sight, I think Taurus has managed to turn out a great gun.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put 500 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 36 gr JHPs through it in just over 90 minutes yesterday.

Did have two feed failures early on, then on a hunch tried loading the mags by just pushing the cartridges in (not using the tabs to pull the follower down) and also not smacking the mag into my hand to seat the rounds. My idea was to maybe limit the possibility of rim lock. This was based on a MAC video of tips folks are trying to get their Glock 44s to run properly.

Well, maybe it was that technique or a fluke, but no more feed issues. Did have a few duds that fired on the second hit, so that’s an ammo issue. Overall pleased with the gun, and it’s a great value.

As a side note, I am disappointed in the CCI ammo. The dud rate doesn’t seem to be any better than bulk ammo that costs less. Don’t know that I’ll be buying more of it once my current case is expended.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
16+1 gun? (from the Taurus website)
Sounds like a winner winner to me! Looking forward to a range report!

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
following this thread to see how long the TX 22 will stay at your house :image035:
Given what’s going on, the TX22 isn’t going anywhere. :smile:

Fact is that .22LR ammo is the most inexpensive ammunition out there, so you can stockpile a lot of it. And when ammo becomes scarce, that allows you to keep shooting.

In a pinch, between the TX22 and my Ruger 10/22 I wouldn’t feel under armed at all.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Glad you like your new acquisition. Sounds like a great little gun there. I recently acquired the M&P22c and had a few issues with FTE on some low velocity (under 1300FPS) ammo, but that was just break-in ammo. I have one more small box of that, then the 40gn 1300+fps ammo will be the regular diet. Shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put 350 rounds of Aguila 38gr JHPs through it today. Only 1 feed failure towards the end when firing as rapidly as the range will allow. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of this ammo too.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I have had my TX 22 for some time now and have over a 1000 rounds through it. It is nothing but fun. I ended up with 6 mags so I can shoot for awhile with out having to reload. Early on I discovered you should not try and shoot CCI Stingers out of the TX. They are just a little bit to long and won't feed. You can force them into the chamber but run the risk of shaving off some lead and leading your barrel. Every round after that keyholes. . I found this out the day I bought the gun. The gun store is also a range. I went from the counter to the range, field striped the gun and cleaned it. It shot great until the Stingers. Ended up having to scrub the barrel with some solvent they had behind the counter and a brass brush. After it was cleaned I went back out to the range and all was right with the world. When I bought my TX Taurus had a $50 rebate on the gun. When I got the rebate I bought 2 bricks of 22.

·
Registered
G19/4 - P365 - TX-22 - G42 (for now)
68 Posts
I love mine -- just a few fail-to-feed, but with cheap ammo, gotta suck it up. Mine will stay to play till more 9mm gets back in stock (and cheaper).

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Pretty impressive reports on the Taurus from all the membership - might have to keep an eye out for one of those little gems.

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Super Moderator
18,324 Posts

1 - 20 of 20 Posts