Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a Tavor Bullpup in 5.56 and perhaps getting a suppressor (I don't want to deal with SBR paperwork, and an AR Pistol with a decent brace my be subject to the whims of ATF).

For those that have had the Tavor for some time, what is your long term satisfaction with this gun?

Also, Geissele makes a trigger pack that is supposed to be an improvement over the stock trigger. Anyone familiar with it?

Finally, I've read that a suppressor may cause some unwelcome gas expelled against your cheek, given the location of the ejection port. Anyone run a suppressed Tavor?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I do not own one, but am "totally satisfied" with the two IWI products I own. A few thing's I heard, were, the trigger ( which you may solve with an upgrade). I 've also heard the that mag's "could be dumped, inadvertently", due to the mag release location (AK type paddle, BUT RIGHT where your hand is, instead of "IN FRONT OF" your hand). Also, My opinion would be to "train hard with it", due to a "completely different manual of arm's" from your AR. It is a "piston action", so I'd guess that's a plus, with respect to going suppressed. IWI does have their own. (link below) I think I'd look at "IT", being "made for this rifle". (NOT an expert on can's) Would "FOR SURE" do my homework on that!

Reactions: PEF

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use the Tavor as my primary home defense rifle. It allows me to have a 16" barrel in the size of what would be a 7" AR. Also, I like my hearing, and don't want to ever shoot an unsuppressed 5.56 in a tile hallway.
This allows me to have a full length barrel and be suppressed in small enough package to maneuver inside my home.

I've had a Tavor for a long while. The controls are a little awkward at first, but after very little practice I felt ready to use it in a 3-gun match.
Reliability for me has been 100% perfect as far as I can remember.
I've got mine paired with a SiCo ASR muzzle break and options to run a few different cans on it with just a twist.
Back blast suppressed never bothered me at all. It seems less than my ARs, probably because it's more beside your face rather than in front of.
The trigger is bad, and I'm definitely not a trigger snob, but I'd never consider upgrading it because it's primary purpose is a home defense weapon for me. I have no need to hit anything smaller than an eye box at 50 yards.

Picture of the wife shooting it in the configuration I leave it in next to my bed. (minus the light)

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I am a big fan of the Tavor couple things to note ( as somone who loves pups from AUG to Tavors)

1. There is two model the X95 and the org SAR .. The 95 is newer and has a newer better trigger group ..However they will sell you the 95 trigger group and it will work in the org so if you find a deal on the org ...
2. There is two barrel size in the 223 either 16.5 or 18.5 .. They are both very compact .. I almost like the 18 more as you get a bit more barrel and a bayonet lug but thats just me
3. I have been wanting to use the Gessile pack ..But they are very very hard to get they sell out quick and are OOS most place plus 400+ is a bit much for me right now lol ..But it is on my list if I could find one in stock ... The org trigger is def blah at best like most Pups but works a-ok for combat work so to speak imop
4. Def a very different manual of arms then say a normal AR due to how it is set up for sure
5. One big plus imop is IWI will sell you 99% of the parts for the gun no problem for spare and not that pricy ..So easy to get a large back up stock of parts for it

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
I don't have any of their rifles, but I have been very pleased with my Tavor TS12 bullpup shotgun. I talked to their people at the SHOT show this year and have talked to them on the phone with questions. They are very responsive and helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would totally encourage you to consider the OSS Helix suppressor. They're design is unique and addresses the very problem you're concerned with. And they offer LEO and Veterans discounts.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have a Tavor 5.56 mm SAR with Timney Trigger. It is a much more easier to handle and shoot with a smooth trigger. It’s worth the upgrade.

It handles well and though it’s heavier than an AR Pistol, it gives velocity in a compact package.

It is very loud, even when I use my suppressor. I tried subsonic ammunition but it doesn’t cycle.

I didn’t find much about how to modify it for that.

Once you get used to the operation, it is a solid rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Thanks for all the information on the Tavors, WrongRecroom. I have long considered a bullpup platform but had not researched it at all. Nice to see your report on the functional reliability of these weapons.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Thanks for all the information on the Tavors, WrongRecroom. I have long considered a bullpup platform but had not researched it at all. Nice to see your report on the functional reliability of these weapons.
No problem at all ..Happy to help ... I find the trigger better on the tavor then on the Aug ( at least the org pre bans ) .. They are prob the best pups around imop right now .. Esp with the large aftermarket they have .

The bancle is def different then a normal AR due to were the mag is ..Drums can be very eh on them ..I would stick to magpul drums or the like size as the beta etc either dont work or throw the gun off imop

Reactions: NavCop

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
No problem at all ..Happy to help ... I find the trigger better on the tavor then on the Aug ( at least the org pre bans ) .. They are prob the best pups around imop right now .. Esp with the large aftermarket they have .

The bancle is def different then a normal AR due to were the mag is ..Drums can be very eh on them ..I would stick to magpul drums or the like size as the beta etc either dont work or throw the gun off imop
?????????

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've owner an "X95" since they first came out and their trigger is much better than the "SAR" triggers. I did put a Geissele in and it is better but the X95 factory trigger really isn't bad. I put a "Dead Air" Nomad 30 (suppressor) on mine and am very happy with it (only 6.5" and 14 ounces). I still shoot my AR's for hunting and sport but definitely love my X95 for SD and traveling, 100% reliable and a fun gun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

Thanks again, Wrongrecroom, for the additional info. I'm looking into the X95; have to float the idea past the dear wife. She's quite of supportive of my gun addiction, but that doesn't usually consider guns of that value. Guess I better give Santa a head's up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Concerning the extra "gas" from a suppressor, I haven't really noticed a huge difference. Sure there is going to be more gas when you add a suppressor, but it hasn't been a big deal as far as I'm concerned. If you go and shoot it frequently after purchase, it's really not a difficult transition, it's simply a training issue. Any new platform requires a transition period and it's no different with the Tavor, just put the work in and you will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts