Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put a lot of thought and research into short barrel ARs, AR pistols, and Tavors. I know all of the arguments against bullpups, but I am seriously leaning towards the Tavor X95. The short barrel AR, and the AR pistol just don't seem to make sense as much as I like the AR platform.

The short barrel AR has the disadvantage of the tax stamp as well as the issues with taking the rifle across state lines. In addition, there is the noise factor and the "fireball" effect. The AR pistol has the same noise issues and fireball effect. Neither of these make me happy, especially when considering using either rifle in the house for home defense.

That leaves me looking at the Tavor X95. I like the size, although it's a bit heavy for its length. But I think it's more suitable for in home use and pretty easy to transport less conspiculously in a vehicle.

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Its your context and purpose. I like the ARs a lot. The Tavor, also interests me, but ARs are so cheap right now. If the Tavor fits the bill, get it....

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
You can get a silencer even one that is built into a upper ...

AK UF are also a very short and nice way to say hello if your looking at a truck gun ..A UF AK is as short as you can legally go for a rifle

As to the Tavor ..Yes I would go for it if you are unsure on going SBR rout ..They run well point and shoot well ..And you can get a intergal silenced 9mm upper for them that is very cool

Reactions: G26Raven and drift

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
As you may or may not know, I've been there. Here was my take.

AR Pistols: many people love em. They sure are cool enough. But why? Without the butstock, I figure there are better alternatives. Moreover, I didn't think I would ever get as accurate with one as I would have liked. Many disagree of course. But you already have a pistol. Get yourself a rifle I said to myself lol.

16" barrel AR: Nice weapon, but slightly longer than a Tavor. Not that much lighter than one either. Can be more accurate than a Tavor with the slew of aftermarket parts for it. If absolute accuracy is needed, this is the way I would go. I've shot a few, and though they are awesome, "I" don't like the way they swing. I feel like I'm "poking" with it more than swinging - I'm sure it's a training thing.

A short barreled one is cool. But I'm not into tax stamps. Got to register it every time you leave the state. I travel a bit. That'll never work for me.

Tavors: The one that I held for all of two minutes sure felt great. Easy to swing. Carried its weight well. Expensive. Not the most accurate (but plenty accurate enough for bad guys) - I have no idea how to make it more accurate if I wanted to.

It all comes down to how you see it being an aid to you. If it's to protect you and yours in a SHTF, riots or whatever situation, I would go with the AR or Tavor no question. If you live in an urban setting, that Tavor is pretty sweet. You can use it one handed to open doors a little easier too. But if you are out in the sticks and need to reach out a little farther, an AR that's been tuned a bit might be a better fit.

But what do I know lol? After going through all of that, I chose to get myself a little 16.5" barreled 30-30!!

Whatever you do, don't forget to budget for all the toys you want for it. My little 30-30 was a very reasonable $500. But with a sling, some cleaning stuff for it, scope, scope mounts, and maybe a different stock, this thing is going to ring out at a min of $1,000. It doesn't take much.

Finally, note this too. Hopefully, you'll never need to use it. And if you do, no matter what you get, they'll all work. So get something you like and will have fun with, because at the end of the day, that's what it'll be used for. Something fun to shoot.

·
Registered
17,186 Posts
Close friend has two Tavors. Not bad. The only thing I didn't care for, was the trigger. But he got that fix.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Am I missing anything?
Not that I can see. I liked my Sig PM400. I love my X95.
And the X95 has a way better trigger out of the box than the Sig had. But the Sig is an AR platform, so dropping another trigger into it was easy. Maybe monkeying with the Tavor is, too, but I have no need to.
I was never that interested in the original Tavor, but moving the charging handle back and changing the mag release sold me.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
As you may or may not know, I've been there. Here was my take.

AR Pistols: many people love em. They sure are cool enough. But why? Without the butstock, I figure there are better alternatives. Moreover, I didn't think I would ever get as accurate with one as I would have liked. Many disagree of course. But you already have a pistol. Get yourself a rifle I said to myself lol.

16" barrel AR: Nice weapon, but slightly longer than a Tavor. Not that much lighter than one either. Can be more accurate than a Tavor with the slew of aftermarket parts for it. If absolute accuracy is needed, this is the way I would go. I've shot a few, and though they are awesome, "I" don't like the way they swing. I feel like I'm "poking" with it more than swinging - I'm sure it's a training thing.

A short barreled one is cool. But I'm not into tax stamps. Got to register it every time you leave the state. I travel a bit. That'll never work for me.

Tavors: The one that I held for all of two minutes sure felt great. Easy to swing. Carried its weight well. Expensive. Not the most accurate (but plenty accurate enough for bad guys) - I have no idea how to make it more accurate if I wanted to.

It all comes down to how you see it being an aid to you. If it's to protect you and yours in a SHTF, riots or whatever situation, I would go with the AR or Tavor no question. If you live in an urban setting, that Tavor is pretty sweet. You can use it one handed to open doors a little easier too. But if you are out in the sticks and need to reach out a little farther, an AR that's been tuned a bit might be a better fit.

But what do I know lol? After going through all of that, I chose to get myself a little 16.5" barreled 30-30!!

Whatever you do, don't forget to budget for all the toys you want for it. My little 30-30 was a very reasonable $500. But with a sling, some cleaning stuff for it, scope, scope mounts, and maybe a different stock, this thing is going to ring out at a min of $1,000. It doesn't take much.

Finally, note this too. Hopefully, you'll never need to use it. And if you do, no matter what you get, they'll all work. So get something you like and will have fun with, because at the end of the day, that's what it'll be used for. Something fun to shoot.
I agree with everything Drift said above! Don't forget a 16 1/2" bbl .357 lever gun! Better capacity than 30/30 and a hoot to shoot as well! Sorry I didn't mean to muddy the waters:image035:!

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Close friend has two Tavors. Not bad. The only thing I didn't care for, was the trigger. But he got that fix.
Supposedly, the trigger on the original Tavors sucked. The trigger on the X95 is supposed to be comparable to a decent AR trigger (which some people also say sucks). I've lived with the trigger on my S&W M&P 15 MOE for five years and it's fine for me.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with everything Drift said above! Don't forget a 16 1/2" bbl .357 lever gun! Better capacity than 30/30 and a hoot to shoot as well! Sorry I didn't mean to muddy the waters:image035:!
I always like to consider alternatives, especially ones I had not thought of. The idea of a lever gun is not totally off the table, but I am leaning towards a semi-auto. Drift has brought this up before and he makes good points.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Supposedly, the trigger on the original Tavors sucked. The trigger on the X95 is supposed to be comparable to a decent AR trigger (which some people also say sucks). I've lived with the trigger on my S&W M&P 15 MOE for five years and it's fine for me.
How much trigger do we really need on a defensive weapon?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I always like to consider alternatives, especially ones I had not thought of. The idea of a lever gun is not totally off the table, but I am leaning towards a semi-auto. Drift has brought this up before and he makes good points.
If you can wait a month - I'll let you know how much I regret it lol. :smile:

What you get from your platforms is firepower. Suppressive fire in some situations I can see as being a very nice thing to have.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
To me, moving inside a home = handgun. It allows a free hand for doors, light switches, the phone, kids, etc.

Once hunkered down, the shotgun comes out. A 5.56 bullet might tumble, fragment or expand. Or it may not, in which case you are shooting a glorified .22 rifle. In contrast, buckshot is always - and cannot fail to be - buckshot. There is simply no better civilian-legal short range manstopper available. If overpenetration is a concern, you can go down to #1 or #4 buckshot.

The only use I have for a rifle in defense is outdoors, in which case overall length matters much less. I have a Mini 14, but would lean toward my Marlin 336 in .30-30 in the event of civil unrest in my area. I cannot see farther than 150 yards in any direction, so the .30-30 will do.

For the price of a Tavor, you can outfit your whole family with shotguns.

Of course, if you are just trying to justify a new toy, then get whatever floats your boat. :smile:

·
Registered
17,186 Posts
To me the trigger on a AR is so easy to play with. When I got my AR it was 7 1/2 lbs and felt like it was going over 80 grit sand paper. About a hour later, I had it down to 4 lbs and smooth.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

What you get from your platforms is firepower. Suppressive fire in some situations I can see as being a very nice thing to have.
I will be interested in what you have to say. I won't be making my purchase until early next year, but I typically make pretty careful, studied decisions.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
How much trigger do we really need on a defensive weapon?
The best one. Why would you want anything other than what you can shoot best with on something that you are literally trusting your life to?

To the OP- I'm partial to AR's because that's what I'm used to, and that's what I can find parts to without having to go much further than walking distance from pretty much anywhere aside from the liberal states. However, the tavor is a nice gun.

Reactions: G26Raven and drift

·
Registered
11,179 Posts

As a civilian you own every shot you fire. Suppressive fire is for soldiers in combat, who operate under different rules of engagement.

The difference in the rate of aimed fire from a semi auto, lever, or bolt gun is not nearly as much as some would suppose.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
As a civilian you own every shot you fire. Suppressive fire is for soldiers in combat, who operate under different rules of engagement.

The difference in the rate of aimed fire from a semi auto, lever, or bolt gun is not nearly as much as some would suppose.
Clearly you haven't equated for zombies Debbie Downer!!

LOLz. Just kidding - just kidding. You make a really good point. I will say this though, and I don't know why this is, but when I "study" dudes at the rifle range, I notice that not many actually practice shooting a bolt or lever in a way that would enable them to keep up no matter how remotely behind an AR. I can't tell you how often I see guys lifting their heads and dropping their guns to work the bolt or cycle the lever after every shot.

But I rarely see that when guys are shooting their AR's. Unless they are out of ammo.

Back when I was learning to shoot, I would have got a smack to the back of my head if I didn't load up my next round while still looking through the scope at my target... Not to derail the thread, but I really do think that something about a semi keeps shooters on target longer. Which is a good thing.

I'm but a small data point. But it's what I see.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts