Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a S & W 38 SPL + P and am looking for tactical ways to carry my firearm and have it easily accessible while buckled into a moving car. I'm right handed but would like to have a left handed holster. My current idea is an angled shoulder holster that is hidden under my jacket and can move to point and shoot while still in the holster. Any ideas or product suggestions are appreciated.

- Kizer

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
An "Up Side Down" shoulder holster would work with a short barrel. A cross draw (left hip) works too, with most any length barrel... :yup:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
DeNiro kept his up his sleeve. Tough with a revolver though.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Might help to have an explanation of where the possible perp would be...in relation to you.

Most holsters cover the trigger...might be difficult to point shoot from a holster...not to mention, dangerous.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
First, I think it makes a difference if you are left or right handed. A right handed cross draw-to-aim in the back seat is a long way to go. You might consider a left hand setup even if you are right handed.

Second, as we were taught in a shoot-no-shoot class, people drawing in cars often hit the steering wheel under stress unless they've practiced avoiding it or place the gun where they don't have to move around it.

Third, I would put the gun where you might logically keep some cash. So with the scenario that you have someone in the cab who wants to rob you, you could pretend to be complying as you reached for your gun.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You have a lot of things to think about here, OP. The first thing you have to decide is where you're most afraid of an attack coming from. As you're seated, the possibilities are pretty much on all sides except your direct front.

If someone's seated next to you, you likely won't have much luck drawing a pistol from your left side with your right hand, extending and shooting it. But a pistol on the right drawn and fired with the left hand is easily doable.

If someone's outside your window, just the opposite. A gun on your left is easily drawn and fired by your right hand.

Someone directly behind you is going to be a whole lot harder as they can put you in a choke hold or constrict your arms. Cross draw may be difficult in that situation. but a right hand draw of a gun kept on your right side may be do-able.

Someone behind and to the right can easily have the drop on you. That position allows them to be the farthest away from you as possible in the car, while holding you at knife or gunpoint. A cross draw of a gun on the left with a right hand would be near impossible, the individual would have plenty of time to react, and the entire movement would be telegraphed by your right shoulder. The advantage for you in that situation would be the front seats. They could effectively block the movement of a left handed cross draw of a pistol kept on the right. And that crossdraw would be much quicker, too.

So, out of the 4 likely positions of attack, having a gun on the right side may work best overall. Of course, you'd want to practice shooting with your left hand if you choose to carry it there. Traditionally, a driver would keep an auto under his left thigh while seated. Basically the barrel pointed towards the door with the grips between his legs. That made the gun easy to reach quickly with either hand in most situations, concealed, and it's actually not uncomfortable once you get used to it. Not suggesting anyone does that, just passing along trivia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts