Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a six year old son that is six and shows an interest in shooting. I was wondering when everyone learned to shoot or taught your kid to shoot. I was also wondering if a rifle or handgun would be easiest?

·
Registered
316 Posts
6 year old? Hmmm, I personally would start with an air gun.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 6 year old daughter who has shown interest in shooting and honestly I started her off with a BB gun, she does not have the arm length to hold a rifle the correct way by herself yet. I would definetly not give a 6 year old a rifle or handgun right now. I would start off with a BB gun rifle just to see if his interest is still there. With kids there attention may be a bit short and It would not be good to spend money on something that he may not be interested in doing in a month.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I got him a BB gun last Christmas and he enjoys his weekly time with Dad in the backyard shooting at cans. I agree with the arm length comment. I figure it would be easier to shoot a rifle at his age than trying to hold a hangun steady.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Actually, I got him a BB gun last Christmas and he enjoys his weekly time with Dad in the backyard shooting at cans. I agree with the arm length comment. I figure it would be easier to shoot a rifle at his age than trying to hold a hangun steady.
If he has the interest and he can handle it, I might allow him to shoot a single shot .22 rifle.:yup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would imagine when the time comes that it will be safer using a rifle than a handgun, but the problem still lies in a 6 year old not being developed enough to hold a rifle the correct way. Give it a couple years let his arms grow and let him mature and realize how dangerous firearms can be and I think he will love it. But if you let him shoot now it may even discourage him later on from shooting. I can imagine if there is any recoil that he may not be interested when he is old enough to shoot safely.

·
Registered
859 Posts
My oldest son received his first .22 rifle when he was 7... He is now 25 and has a larger gun collection than dear old dad.

My youngest son received his first .22 rifle when he was 7... He is now 20 and is an MP in the Marines (He shot expert with pistols and rifles in boot camp). His personal gun collection is growing... a couple of 1911's, and M&P9 and some rifles.

My oldest daughter received her first .22 rifle when she was 9... She never really got into firearms in a big way. She is now 18 and has her LTCH and a SD handgun. I feel for the guy who meets up her with bad intentions. She may not be into firearms, but that girl can really shoot.

My youngest daughter received her first pink .22 rifle when she was 5... She is almost 6 now, and loves to go shooting with daddy.

My primary criteria for allowing my kids to shoot is first and foremost... Do they have a grasp on the concepts of firearm safety as it is taught to them? The second criteria is knowing their level of maturity. Can they listen, concentrate and behave when they are around dangerous firearms? My third criteria is gauging their level of interest in firearms. Firearms are not something that any child should be forced into if they have no interest.

In short... There is no right age. Just use your own criteria for deciding when they are mature enough to be safe. Also know that some kids may never get there at any age.

My youngest on her 5th birthday:

I will be the odd man out and say that I don't agree with any sort of air gun for a child's firearm training. I have always had a no toy gun and no air gun rule in the house. I never wanted my kids to have any confusion as to which one is deadly serious and which one is a toy.

Teach them well and be safe!

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
If he has the interest and he can handle it, I might allow him to shoot a single shot .22 rifle.:yup:
BIL is having his 3 yr old shoot a single shot .22 with assistance and she LOVES it.:danceban:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I will be the odd man out and say that I don't agree with any sort of air gun for a child's firearm training. I have always had a no toy gun and no air gun rule in the house. I never wanted my kids to have any confusion as to which one is deadly serious and which one is a toy.

Teach them well and be safe!
Well, it gives a first introduction to the basics of sight picture, breathing, stance, and how a trigger functions. Then a .22lr is the next logical choice.

While I see what you're saying, I think it instills some basic techniques for a shooter.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I would go with a single shot or bolt action rifle and in a year or two with a single action revolver.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a six year old son that is six and shows an interest in shooting. I was wondering when everyone learned to shoot or taught your kid to shoot. I was also wondering if a rifle or handgun would be easiest?
I was 2 when my dad bought me my first rifle actually. He started me with a small breach action (single shot) .22 rifle. I spent more time learning safety then I can remember before we went out. learning to "Never touch this when dad isn't home", then practicing lining up the sites and never touching the trigger until dad told me to, that sort of thing. After everything was said and done though, as a child I had zero interest in playing with them when dad wasn't there. I guess he just took the mystery out of them by forcing me to learn safety and such.

As soon as I was able to do so, I was making range trips. Dad would stand behind me and help me load the single shot and help me shoot it.

As for the more specific questions, definitely a rifle as he may not have the coordination to really be able to use a pistol yet, and the longer site picture of a rifle will help build confidence.

I would not recommend an air rifle, as I firmly believe they are too dangerous. You are essentially handing him something that has the perception of being a toy, but has the potential to cause serious damage. I would get him started on a .22 instead. He doesn't even have to shoot it for a while, but for teaching about hands on gun safety, it is never to early I think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With my dad being a State Trooper, I learned weapon safety at a very early age.

I received my first .22 when i was 8 years old
I had a .22 revolver at the age of 7

I dont think 5 is too old. Teach them now, and let them build on their skills over the years.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My two children started shooting when they turned six. They learned on a 4" S&W M34 Kit Gun. It was also called a 22/32 Kit gun because it was a .22LR on an .32 Hand Ejector frame.

It has a match trigger and hammer and it's a dream to shoot. My daughter is 38 and she still considers it her gun! My son prefers the Ruger MkII I bought him for his 10th birthday.

I'm working on the grandchildren, now. :danceban:

+1 on the hearing protection.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was taught to shoot a BB gun at age 6. At age 8 I was given a .22 air rifle. At 10 when I graduated from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts I graduated to .22 rifles and shotguns (12 and 20 Gauge). I guess I was about 14, when I was pretty damn good with all those "long" guns, when my Dad let me start shooting his .380 and 9mm Sigs.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I'll agree with the rifle over handgun - adults have enough trouble with muzzle control with them.

I think the seriousness of an airgun vs. a 22 depends on what the parents impress upon the kid.

Remember to make it easy and fun for the kid. When they are ready to move on for the day, move on; take breaks. Use those 2 foot diameter shoot-n-see's - they're hard to miss. Always be patient - some kids are gun shy at first, but come around after a while. Always be supportive - stress the need for practice to get better and that they will get better.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My son will be seven in just over a month. I bought him the Crickett .22 in the link posted earlier and taught him to shoot it when he was 5. I don't think that is too early, but as mentioned before it depends on the kid. Especially how well they listen to you and if they are interested in it or not.

The first time I took him to shoot it was just the two of us. His .22 was the only gun we brought. We went out to the desert where no one else was around. All of these things were done for safety and to limit distractions.

I brought a few pumpkins, targets and a box of clay pigeons. I set everything up at distances that were realistic for a new shooter to be able to hit.

He had a great time and so did I. He still loves going shooting and frequently asks to go.

At this age I don't think you can reenforce the safety side of things enough. Always keep that in mind.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts