Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been carrying for long, but after joining this forum I feel I have learned a lot. I DO NOT think I am an expert, as I am assuming no one here feels they are. I do have a military background and at the least understand weapons handling. In the next few months I plan on finding a defensive carry course which me and my 2 friends can attend.

I got my CCP shortly after a friend of mine got his. He does not carry daily for personal reasons which I feel are not important here. I am trying to teach him all I can, and he more than wants to learn how to properly carry. He even just bought himself his first semiauto since he has been carrying a small J-Frame since he got his CCP :35:. Though I still cant convince him he needs to remember to wear a belt all the time, not to mention buy a few t-shirts that fall a little lower than what he has been wearing.

My second friend just bought his first S&W M&P Compact .40 :35: and applied for his CCP. He too does not understand the concept of dressing around the gun.

Lastly, we were in the local gun shop and I pointed out some good holsters for them to look at. I was with my dad and he wanted to get a move on the range time. We went in, and my cheap buddies went and bought Uncle Mike's holsters. I dont want to bad mouth these products, but I pointed out good leather holsters for them.

My question is, how can I get through to these guys? :confused:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Don't give it too much attention. The learning curve is long and slow for the cheap crowd. Maximize what works for you and lead by example when asked. Money is tight for many of us, but life is not valued in money. It is hard to separate this mind set for some folks. Continue to be informative and kind to your friends, but realize this is all personal choice. Good luck to you, john

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Some people learn from other people's experiences and mistakes. Some have to learn from their own. They will shortly find out they want something better than that Uncle Mikes. If they go cheap again, eventually they will learn you can buy cheap and buy often, or buy quality and once. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
You can only do so much. Sounds like you've done more than enough to give yourself a clear conscience. Try not to worry about it, and as previously suggested, let them go on their own learning curve for now, and when they come back to you for advice in the future, you'll be even more ready to help them out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Get 'em to visit this forum!

Before I bought my holster, I soaked in all the knowledge I could before I made my decision. Read enough "love x brand holster" and it'll get through.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sometimes you can't talk sense into people. I've tried many times. You just gotta lead by example like the poster before me said. Hopefully they'll observe and see the benefits of doing things the right way. I wouldn't worry too much about what they do, they'll learn the hard way if need be. I think also maybe by you trying to force feed them "your way" even if its the right way. They maybe rebellious because they may feel underminded. But than again I only can go by what you have posted.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Buy them each a holster box for Christmas...they'll begin to learn about how to fill it.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
It's kinda like kids... you can only teach them so much, then they have to figure it out for themselves.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Buy them each a holster box for Christmas...they'll begin to learn about how to fill it.:rofl:
Or buy them an Uncle Mike's giftcard.... :rofl:

·
Registered
763 Posts
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". The secret is to make the horse thirsty. In some cases, the horse dies of thirst before he admits he's thirsty". Metaphors aside, don't harp. Give your opinion and let them make their own choices. Just remind them that there are consequences for each choice. Sometimes bad, sometimes good. Lead by example.

That's it for the sage advice. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
My question is, how can I get through to these guys?
Sometimes you can't. Many people just have to learn things on their own. Why let it frustrate you?
Buy them each a holster box for Christmas...they'll begin to learn about how to fill it.
Ain't that the truth.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
A lot of people new to guns make this mistake. If all you've ever used is a cheap holster, than that's all you know.

Show your friends the for sale section here on DC. Maybe seeing good quality will help.

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
This is rich. I can see you guys in store with you playing the role of "Queer Eye for the CCW Guy";

(In my best lilting falsetto): "Really, Gerald, that Hooter's t-shirt is simply tooooo short. ...and yellow? Puh-leez. Try the mauve in XXXL.

"Let's scope that holster. Definitely not you. Try something in a Pure Kustom. That cheap Kydex makes you look too big in the tushy, Sweetie..."

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Dont get to worked up, when they ask answer, but other then that you can't do much.
Personally I have one friend thats "Wants to get his concealed", but he refuses to go to a class, get a decent concealed carry firearm, and thinks a .22 is a reliable manstopper.
Till they actually want to learn....they arnt.

A little off topic...but I like Unclemikes holsters.....still use them even today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In response to everyone, thanks. These guys are not really new to guns, just the idea of carrying one. We have been shooting buddies for about 6 years now.

I guess these guys will learn the hard way. Though one of them asked which forum I am on so he can check it out. So I guess I brought him to the water, now he just has to drink it.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Your first sentence in the OP says it all. Get them to visit here.

Holsters aren't the only example of folks buying cheap to begin with, only to find out later that buying quality is best. Think of any cheap tools, clothes, shoes, etc. you have bought in the past.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Actually, if you get an uncle mike's holster, put the unloaded gun in it, and sew around the gun with fishing line to make it form fitting there's a definate difference. I did that, added a layer of velcro and it works better than anything else I've tried for the CC pocket on my jacket. But even IWB it's an improvement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, if you get an uncle mike's holster, put the unloaded gun in it, and sew around the gun with fishing line to make it form fitting there's a definate difference. I did that, added a layer of velcro and it works better than anything else I've tried for the CC pocket on my jacket. But even IWB it's an improvement.
Great idea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts