Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I have a buddy that has caught the 1911 bug after shooting some of mine..but he doesn't have the wallet to get with the big boys. He was looking at something like this https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...-tactical-ii-pistol-45acp-4in-8rd-parkerized/. Would this be a safe bet as a not too fancy but not junk option? Here are some questions I'd like to give him answers to:

1. Durability: Is it going to spaz out running hotter ammo through it?

2. Quality: Is he looking at bottom rung or middle-high quality?

3. Finish: Are these generally durable finishes with the parkerization, or will it all come off after a few days in and out of a holster?

4. Springs: Rumor has it on the good ol net that these guns need their springs replaced every 300 or so rounds. Is that true?

5. Customer service: Are these guys Ruger quality CS or are we dealing with another Taurus?

I really appreciate the help as I don't have a single RIA in my inventory (I'm rather surprised at that actually. I figured at least one would show up through the years.).

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Good quality guns at a lower cost, the finish is not as good as a Les Baer but you are not paying $2000 for one. As to springs I have not had a problem with my Commander size but the recoil assembly on my Officers size did come apart after a few hundred rounds, sent it back to RIA and was repaired and returned in less than 3 weeks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't own one, but I have a friend who does. I've shot it and have no complaints.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't think I've heard any bad about them- other than from the people who are gun snobs. I've played with a couple (not purchased- although I'd love to give my Springfield a friend) and I do like what I've seen.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good quality guns at a lower cost, the finish is not as good as a Les Baer but you are not paying $2000 for one. As to springs I have not had a problem with my Commander size but the recoil assembly on my Officers size did come apart after a few hundred rounds, sent it back to RIA and was repaired and returned in less than 3 weeks.
Is the recoil assembly coming apart a frequent issue or was that just "one of those things"?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're running out of Nevada now, aren't they? I knew they were a Philippines company at first running old Colt equipment.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I don't own one, but I have handled one. It is a decent 1911 clone. I'm going to say it is a very serviceable gun. I used to shoot expensive target 1911s in NRA Bullseye so I know what makes a good one. As to longevity, I don't know. People who own one seem to like them.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I have a buddy that has caught the 1911 bug after shooting some of mine..but he doesn't have the wallet to get with the big boys. He was looking at something like this https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...-tactical-ii-pistol-45acp-4in-8rd-parkerized/. Would this be a safe bet as a not too fancy but not junk option? Here are some questions I'd like to give him answers to:

Our youngest son's owned one since 2008 and has shot it a good deal by now after being mostly away from it for a five-year enlistment in the Marine Corps. He's shot ammunition of all sorts, including +P and handloads using old-fashioned published maximum handloads. The pistol gives perfect satisfaction with everything used in it.

I'm a Colt fan and haven't expended funds on any clone 1911 gun, but this Rock Island has exhibited function and utility fully equivalent to any military service contract 1911 or 1911A1 I've had experience with. I esteem the military contract guns for their utility so this is high praise. A quick word about the trigger. It's quite nice in comparison to many other 1911 type guns and I've had experience with a couple of other RIA guns that also had rather decent factory triggers.

3. Finish: Are these generally durable finishes with the parkerization, or will it all come off after a few days in and out of a holster?

Very durable. The finish used on our son's pistol has seen carry use and has been handled more in a "tool-like manner" rather then babied and remains much as it came out of the box.

4. Springs: Rumor has it on the good ol net that these guns need their springs replaced every 300 or so rounds. Is that true?

False. Silly rumor. The springs are adequate to provide long service and the gun has no quirky characteristic that "eats" springs in short order. Nitwits started that rumor.

5. Customer service: Are these guys Ruger quality CS or are we dealing with another Taurus?

I've not heard of any dreadful tales of woe connected to poor customer service on the part of Rock Island. Son's pistol hasn't required any warranty or other adjustment.

I really appreciate the help as I don't have a single RIA in my inventory (I'm rather surprised at that actually. I figured at least one would show up through the years.).
Our son has since acquired a brand new Colt Government Model in 2014. He loves having the Colt, but much to my personal chagrin, enjoys shooting and carrying the Rock Island more. Can't blame him. The RIA is equal to the Colt in reliable function and the RIA has the better trigger of the two. Whoo ... I can't believe I said that.

As currently configured with replica "double-diamond" stocks.

Was modeled with pewter USMC stocks

Early days, back when the gun was new. Son was still in college prior to the Marine Corps stint, being silly, modeling handloads "fresh from the oven."

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
They're running out of Nevada now, aren't they? I knew they were a Philippines company at first running old Colt equipment.
Something new I've not heard before.

Reactions: msgt/ret and OD*

·
Super Moderator
22,267 Posts
That's old internet lore. Colt still has their old equipment. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Rocks are good firearms. They probably make more 1911 platform pistols than anyone else in the world.
They lack some of the fit & finish of the four-digit options, but they're well made, accurate and reliable.
At the prices they're selling for, they are a great value. If you want an improved finish, better sights, etc., they have those options as well for not a lot more money. Shop around a bit.

Note: if you buy a new one, be prepared to dismantle and clean it thoroughly... they're packed pretty greasy for storage and travel.
If you know someone with an ultrasonic cleaner, buy them a six pack and ask for a favor. Got someplace like TheGunCleaners (tm) near you? even better.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Every body with a machine shop built 1911s. Gun manufacturers, sewing machine builders, black smiths. They probably almost wore out lots of equipment and a lot of machines can be used for more than one task. The most important parts were the blue prints and the license.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Between the Philippines using Colt's old equipment, the Brazilian's using Colt's old equipment, the Chinese using Colt's old equipment, Colt wouldn't have been able to build anything! :wink:
Hey, I said I didn't have any experience with them, didn't I? :biggrin2:

Any ol way, he ordered it and I ordered up a new 4 inch blued GP100 that I plan to purty up because, well, you can't have too many hand cannons.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I have a buddy that has caught the 1911 bug after shooting some of mine..but he doesn't have the wallet to get with the big boys. He was looking at something like this https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...-tactical-ii-pistol-45acp-4in-8rd-parkerized/. Would this be a safe bet as a not too fancy but not junk option?
I've had a RIA GI model, full size, for a year and a half.

Sooo....

Here are some questions I'd like to give him answers to:

Doubt it.

My experience is limited. But, you might want to review Gun Nuts Media's multi thousand round rest of the Rock Island. He ends up pretty enthusiastic for it. https://www.youtube.com/user/NRAhab

I bought mine after a recommendation of a local gunsmith, and examining his, which was his own carry gun.

Not that resistant to scuffing. Oil it down when you put it away, and it will keep rust away.

Pffff! No. I'm way past that.

Closer to Ruger.

I like mine a lot.

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
Their slides are extruded and then finish machined. Call it forged...not much difference.
Or....call it NOT investment cast.
Frames are good quality investment casting / finished machined.
Barrels = to Roto4M (hammer forged investment casting...I think?) but, don't take that as gospel.
Internals are MIM
I believe the grip safety and mainspring housing are investment castings. NOT positive on that.

Recoil Spring...who cares? Buy a new one for $7.00

In short. They work.

A Park finish is a Park finish. Expect it to hold up as well as any would.

Personally if I owned one...I would replace the slide stop/release and call it a day.

I am not big on MIM for slide stop use. A better one is basically a drop in part.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :yup:

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
OK....My last post in this thread....before I get a P.M. question as to WHY?? I would replace the slide stop...like I have got the same question before VIA P.M.

Because....a slide stop/release (call it both or pick one name or the other) should NOT ideally be a highly stressed (impact) part BUT, often it IS - UNLESS the barrel is perfectly mated to the slide and the barrel link and lugs are perfectly mated to the slide stop/release pin.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll make sure he sees this thread (trying to get him to join, he's not much of an internet person). Thanks for all the replies and advice :You_Rock_Emoticon:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts