Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
Is there anyone on the forum that can tell me what to expect
in the required training part of obtaining a CCW in Tennessee?
Is it all classroom or range time or both.
And is the standard the same across the state.

Thanks for any help I will be moving to Tennessee in the next year or so.

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
I got one of the first carry permits when they first came out. At that time it was class room with a test on the laws and responsibilities followed by a Saturday morning at the range with a requirement to fire 50 rounds. The basic proceedure still remains in tact.:banana: All things considered it seems to be a relatively simple proceedure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took the required training last December and, to my knowledge, the basic requirements are the same across the state with a standardized written test and a 48-round range test. Total time was about eight hours with seven in the classroom. The classroom part was about what you would expect, covering the mechanics of pistols and revolvers, gun safety, basic shooting techniques and a lot about laws and responsibilities. Lots of discussion. The class was taught by a local LEO who was a strong supporter of the right to carry. Both the written test and the range test were quite easy and no one in the class of 15 had any problems. After completing the class, the instructor provides a signed certificate which you take to a drivers license station to file the paperwork and get a picture taken. They set you up with an appointment to be fingerprinted (electronically done). Took about four weeks to get the carry permit and that was over the Christmas holidays. The permit is called a "handgun carry permit" and not just a concealed carry permit. Although open carry is not illegal as such, it is frowned upon and according to our instructor you can count on being stopped and at least be requested to show your carry permit.

Brad

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info you'll

1 - 4 of 4 Posts