Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This had to hurt.:aargh4:

Northwest Airlines Bomb Photos - ABC News

A singed pair of underwear with a packet of powder sewn into the crotch, seen in government photos obtained exclusively by ABC News, is all that remains of al Qaeda's attempt to down an American passenger plane over Detroit.

As seen in these photos, the alleged bomb consisted of a packet of powder sewn into the briefs of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, a 23-year-old Nigerian. Al Qaeda took credit Monday for the attempted bombing, boasted of its ability to overcome U.S. intelligence and airport security, and promised new attacks.

The first photo, to the left, shows the slightly charred and singed underpants with the bomb packet still in place. All photos include a ruler to provide scale.

In the second photo (below), the packet of actual explosive powder has been removed from the underpants and displayed separately.

It is a six-inch long packet of the high explosive chemical called PETN, less than a half cup in volume, weighing about 80 grams.

A government test with 50 grams of PETN blew a hole in the side of an airliner. That was the amount in the bomb carried by the so-called shoe bomber Richard Reid over Christmas 2001.

The underpants bomb would have been one and a half times as powerful.

UNDERWEAR WITH EXPLOSIVE PACKET

UNDERWEAR AND EXPLOSIVE PACKET

The packet of PETN explosive powder is shown separately here:

Tragedy was averted only because the detonator, acid in a syringe, did not work.

"It's very clear it came very, very close," said Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R.-Mich., ranking minority member of the House Intelligence Committee. "The explosive device went off, but it became an incendiary device instead of an explosive device, which is probably what saved that airplane."

·
Registered
103 Posts
those people on that plane are lucky this guy was an idiot

·
Super Moderator
17,748 Posts
Would you call that an explosive vasectomy?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I'm pretty sure that took care of his hemorrhoids. He may be experiencing a little "burning" sensation, which is one of the side effects of this treatment and is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Funny but scary nonetheless.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Where are the sky marshals?

Do you think that should be required to check everyone private areas for bombs before taking off?

Since it only burned and did not blow up, one is lead to wonder if blowing away privates is as painful as burning away privates?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
How on earth is TSA going to start checking everyone's underwear?

The answer: They aren't! Pretty soon Janet is going to implement The Greek Olympic Directive where all passengers must fly in the nude with no carryons. Then we truly will be "sardines in a can".

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
If they could talk a woman into padding her bra with this stuff, you could get a real double whammy.

I don't believe a woman would be stupid enough to do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bet ya it failed to blow up because he pissed his pants!:embarassed:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Should this story be moved to the Humor section?
The one-liners popping into my head about this fool would likely get me a sternly written PM from the Mods...:rofl:

On Christmas day no less. Reminds me of an old favorite holiday jingle...:banned::rofl:

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I have 26 demerits so I cannot post something that popped into my head

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where are the sky marshals?

Do you think that should be required to check everyone private areas for bombs before taking off?

Since it only burned and did not blow up, one is lead to wonder if blowing away privates is as painful as burning away privates?
I understand his favorite Christmas song was "... chestnuts roasting on an open fire ..."

Sorry, had to do it.:danceban:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Here's the reality of Airline Security:
The Fruit of the Boom did the following:

Got on a plane in Lagos, Nigeria. (famous for no security)
Paid cash for a ticket (red flag)
Bought a one way ticket (red flag)
Had no luggage for an international flight (red flag)
Had no passport. (should have been turned away)
Had no visa. (should have been turned away)
Was on a watch list (should have been screened again)
Was reported to authorities by his father as a radical muslim. (?)

And yet he boards a US bound plane. I'm stunned.
He received NO additional screening anywhere.

Janet Napolitano first said, "The system worked."
I guess she meant the passengers are the only defense, which they are.

Meanwhile, the same day, I had to take my shoes off, empty my pockets, and put everything through an x-ray. Sometimes, my carry-on gets wiped down for traces of explosives. If they so much as did that, this guy would have been caught. But NO, we can't offend a certain segment group we all know.

Next time, and there will be a next time, it might work.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Why in the world would he hide it there? Even if he accomplished his mission he wouldn't get to play with his 72 virgins.:hand5:
What a maroon!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Broader conspiraacy

Here's the reality of Airline Security:
The Fruit of the Boom did the following:

Got on a plane in Lagos, Nigeria. (famous for no security)
Paid cash for a ticket (red flag)
Bought a one way ticket (red flag)
Had no luggage for an international flight (red flag)
Had no passport. (should have been turned away)
Had no visa. (should have been turned away)
Was on a watch list (should have been screened again)
Was reported to authorities by his father as a radical muslim. (?)

And yet he boards a US bound plane. I'm stunned.
IF all of the above are true, especially the claim that he was able to board a plane in Holland for the US without a Passport or Visa (not real believable, but you never know) it points to a conspiracy that had elements not only in Lagos but at Schiphol.

You don't get on an international flight without passport and visa unless "arrangements" have been made. There are at least 4 points at which the documents are needed before you get on board:

1) at check in counter to get boarding pass
2) at passport control
3) at security screening
4) at boarding gate

There had to be documents, or there had to be some sort of "official" with the proper authority leading him through all these spots.

My inclination is to disbelieve the no passport no visa story; because if it is true, then the conspiracy was very wide and included multiple personnel at Schiphol.

I know my wife and I were briefly detained leaving one foreign airport's passport control merely because we had not correctly placed our middle names on an entry document. The point, he probably had what were either authentic passport and visa (because we didn't connect the dots) or there would have had to be a broad conspiracy.

Take your choice. I wouldn't put a nickel on it either way but lean toward the idea that he had both a valid passport and a valid visa, the latter of course should not have been issued.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I understand his favorite Christmas song was "... chestnuts roasting on an open fire ..:danceban:

Puts the phrase "HOT PANTS" in a different prospective.....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::spankme:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts