Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just in...

Iraq on Tuesday said al-Qaida nearly got away with passing 421 terrorists off as guards at checkpoints around the protected area.

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Security officials foiled an al-Qaida plot that would have put hundreds of its men at critical guard posts around Baghdad’s heavily fortified Green Zone, home to the U.S. and other foreign embassies as well as the Iraqi government, the interior minister told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

A senior Defense Ministry official said the 421 al-Qaida fighters were recruited to storm the U.S. and British embassies and take hostages.

Several ranking Defense Ministry officials have been jailed in the plot, the official said on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the information.

Interior Minister Bayan Jabr, in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, said the al-Qaida recruits were one bureaucrat’s signature away from acceptance into an Iraqi army battalion whose job is to control the gates and main squares in the Green Zone. The plot was discovered three weeks ago.

“You can imagine what could happen to a minister or an ambassador while passing through these gates when those terrorists are there,” Jabr said in the interview conducted at his office inside the Green Zone — a 2-square-mile area of prime Baghdad real estate on the west bank of the Tigris River. The area is a maze of concrete blast walls, concertina wire and checkpoints.

U.S. aware of incident
In Washington, U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Tuesday that he was aware of the incident.

“I’ve heard about the report. I’ve not received anything definitive,” he said, noting that initial reports often change.

“I don’t know that I’d say we’ve learned anything at least at this stage that would suggest any important lesson.

“We’ve always known that there are people who’ve tried to infiltrate the various security forces and get to close access to places they ought not to be. There’s nothing new about that that I know of,” Rumsfeld said.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Seems like a case of ''phew''!!!

Can but imagine the mayhem that could have been caused.

·
Super Moderator
25,574 Posts
That was a good save. Looks like our intel is really improving.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That was a good save. Looks like our intel is really improving.
True, wish we could say the same about the news coverage though.

mm

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The news coverage is wonderful, every mistake is reported in minute detail and that means there is not time to report on anything good that happens.

this guy had a great blog going for awhile: http://www.michaelyon-online.com/

By the way, there are lots of Canadian that support the US trying to make Iraq a better place. Plus a thank you to all the US military personal that look after our troops that get wounded in Afghanistan.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michael Yon does an awesome job reporting the facts from his 'slice of life'. If you have not yet checked out his blog you should.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Good! Another sneaky terrorist plot foiled.

I hope our guys just keep on stomping the life out of those terrorists over there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts