Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I live in Texas and am presently both a hospital chaplain and a hospital security guard (for different hospitals. :smile: )

I'm newly married, and my wife and I are considering obtaining CCW permits soon. This would require purchasing new weapons, because what we have is much too big to carry.

I've been reading alot, here and elsewhere, about 9MM vs. 40 S&W, and Glocks vs. other manufacturers. We're going this weekend to a range that lets you try different pistols.

I haven't fired anything other than a shotgun in probably 20 years, but I've always enjoyed shooting when I had the opportunity.

I look forward to learning more through this forum.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Welcome from Middle Tennessee!

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Welcome from Alabama.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Welcome & get out there & Shoot Be Safe H/D ; )

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

·
Registered
829 Posts
greetings from FL, a good variety of info here you will get honest information!

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret :31:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Welcome from Utah. :wave:

You're off to the right start, go to a range and shoot anything you can to become familiar with different actions. This will help your decision making much easier.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Welcome from Victoria, B.C. :wave:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
CJ & CJ.boss ... welcome aboard. :wave:

As for which gun to carry, much depends on you: what holster and carry method; what preference for size/weight/ergonomics; what caliber is desired; whether revolver or semi-auto.

For lack of a starting point, consider trying the Glock 19 9mm semi-auto pistol. From there, you can decide going up or down in size, or even sliding over to revolver. IMO, the Glock 19's overall size is about the largest that most folks find practical to carry, though many do carry larger guns.

Me, for example. I have a CZ P-01 9mm. It's a tad larger than the Glock 19, with much the same thickness and grip circumference. Fits my hand much better, though. Still, it's a good-sized chunk to stuff in the pants.

My backup is a KelTec PF9 9mm or NAA Guardian 380. Have also had a Kahr PM9 (and will again, soon). All of these are significantly smaller in size than a G19-sized gun, and mostly far lighter.

Again, mode of carry (along with holster and belt selection) can make a world of difference, helping a previously-difficult option be fairly easy to carry.

Glad to have you both on DC. :surf:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Welcome from SE Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Greetings from UT, and Welcome to the forum! Smart decision to get your CCW, and have fun trying out the different guns!

-Plop

1 - 20 of 51 Posts