Defensive Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just something that crossed my mind and I'd like some opinions on it.

With all the hoops we jump through to obtain our license, it's a little disheartening when you see the ol' 30.06 sign on the door. However, I understand and respect people's wishes and I'll simply lock my gun in the truck or do business elsewhere. What I was thinking is that there should be a State database that businesses have to register with in order to post such a sign. Just a simple registration process that must be completed before the sign is placed in the window, that way we can know for certain whether a place is posted. I know there are community updated sites, however this would be a State database and would be kept much more up to date with all businesses that currently have the sign in the window.

An example of where the sign can come back to haunt you is a hospital or a church. In Texas, you are allowed to carry in a hospital or a church unless there is the legal 30.06 sign posted on the entrance. However, they only have to have one sign, yet can have multiple entrances. To enter through a side entrance could mean you completely miss the 30.06 sign and would therefore be putting your license in jeopardy and possibly facing criminal charges. With everything we go through, would you be opposed to a State database that a business has to register with before being able to post the sign? It makes sense to me to have a legitimate site that you could look at and know 100% whether or not you are legal to carry in that particular business without worrying whether or not you missed the sign.

I suppose this could apply to a 51% sign as well, though it's much more common sense based for bars. You can pretty much tell whether or not the business establishment you're about to walk into makes 51% or more of its income off of booze.

-Amperius

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something like Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource?

Its maintained by observant volunteers, but its something.
Yes, that was the site I was referring to when I said "community updated sites." It is a nice start, however, I know that it is not 100% up to date. In Dallas, there are 75+/- listings. I'd assume there are many more than that in such a large town as Dallas. In my town, there are two listings. I know for certain that there is a lot more than two signs in my town. If that's the case here, I could assume that would be the case across many towns in Texas. There are nearly 585,000 CHL holders in Texas as of 2012 and a population of 26,000,000+ in Texas. Less than 2.5% of Texas residents are CHL holders. Of that 2.5% I would think very few consistently update such a volunteer website. I don't know, it just made sense to me to have a business register to a State maintained database that would allow us to know without a doubt whether or not we could carry on the premesis.

-Amperius

·
Registered
45,189 Posts
Florida is pretty simple. The only places I've seen No Gun signs that aren't off limits by state statute are Toys/Babies-r-Us. I've never seen one at any other business.

·
Registered
606 Posts
For 51% signs just go to the TABC web site and do a "Public Inquiry". If the business is labeled "Gun Sign = Blue" you are good to go. If it is labeled "Gun Sign = Red" it is a no go to carry.

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

TABC Home Page

·
Registered
66 Posts
Florida is pretty simple. The only places I've seen No Gun signs that aren't off limits by state statute are Toys/Babies-r-Us. I've never seen one at any other business.
In Florida, Circle K is also anit-gun.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I don't think that the state should run such a gun buster posting site for the same reasons I don't think it should register firearms owners. Now, if a business or group of volunteers wants to publish such a list, I have no problems with that.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
So, the government can't publicly disclose information of individuals with carry permits, but they should publicly disclose information of businesses that are gun-free zones?
There shouldn't be firearm registration, but there should be business no-gun registration?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I was going through the web site and noticed that 1 of the movie theaters the I frequent (AMC in the Katy Mills Mall) has a 30.06 sign (according to the web site) at the ticket booth. I have never seen this sign. I have carried into that theater on more than one occasion. Next time I am at the mall, I will have to specifically look for the sign. If so, I guess I will be going the Cinemark down the street.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts