Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
42,968 Posts
Now TX needs to pass a prohibition bill of firearm prohibitions.

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
Constitutional carry exists almost nowhere. Permitless carry is being passed in a lot of states and that is a good thing, but it is NOT CONSTITUTIONAL carry - especially when that law allows business to post no guns signs and give them the force of law. I wish people didn't confuse the two.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Constitutional carry exists almost nowhere. Permitless carry is being passed in a lot of states and that is a good thing, but it is NOT CONSTITUTIONAL carry - especially when that law allows business to post no guns signs and give them the force of law. I wish people didn't confuse the two.
The constitution does not give you the right to take anything you may choose onto private property if the property owner objects.

Any business can stop anyone from entering the property with anything they choose, alcohol, firearms, swimwear, etc. The property owner has constitutional rights, too. The force of law is the trespassing law, I would expect (but, I'm not a lawyer).

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Businesses have the right to not take people's money.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
News media in Chicago reported about this and stated that Texas already has fewer gun laws than many of the other states.
Yeah! That's the same Chicago with the strict gun laws and where several dozen people are shot every weekend and about a dozen of them die.
Where you would have to have a very low mentality to not see that all of the news from Chicago is politically motivated.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
As I read it, the new law seems more like permit-less carry, than constitutional carry.

A consequence, it seems, whether intended or unintended, is that long guns will no longer “fly under the radar,” if a 30.05 sign is posted. Current 30.06 and 30.07 signage uses “handgun” in the language. A 30.05 sign will use the word “firearms,” so, depending upon how many 30.05 signs are posted, there may be considerable differences where one can legally tote a discreetly cased/covered long gun. (A taken-down or folded firearm is still a firearm.) This will matter more, to some of us, than others.

30.05 already exists, in the Texas Penal Code, in the Criminal Trespassing section, but it has had no direct effect on firearms.

I am not arguing against property owner rights. I am lamenting what seems to be my long gun privileges taking a hit.

·
Registered
42,968 Posts
Reactions: Texas Red

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
I was concerned for a while if we were going to get it done.
Not sure if it is going to change anything. I think most people who are going to carry already do.
How many more are going to start carrying?
What saddens me is that not a lot of folks carry. The percentage here in Texas is surprisingly small.
I am glad it passed just on principle. I like states sending messages like this to the Fed's.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
That makes 21 permitless carry states. Iowa's permitless carry goes into effect July 1. Not sure if the 10 day waiting period, AFTER obtaining a purchase permit, will stay. Supposedly that goes away too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts