Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,781 Posts
Constitutional carry exists almost nowhere. Permitless carry is being passed in a lot of states and that is a good thing, but it is NOT CONSTITUTIONAL carry - especially when that law allows business to post no guns signs and give them the force of law. I wish people didn't confuse the two.
Agreed! You’re correct!

Maine, however, has full Constitutional Carry, nicely enough, as as a few others. Most, as you note, are permit-less carry.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Now, if we could just get universal reciprocity on concealed carry.
Exactly! I took my wife up to Philly for the week (last week) to celebrate her birthday and had to leave my piece at home. While I enjoyed the trip, of course, it felt weird to me walking the streets of Philly site-seeing unarmed.

Reactions: Texas Red and baren

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
my prediction is more signage will be going up in the short term.......especially if open carry increases in visibility.
There is a lot of confusion as to what the new signage will be. Some say there is a new 30.05 sign. Some say that any random sign that previously had no legal backing now does. Either way, it’s better than it was though.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Any random sign always had (and still does have) legal backing under the trespass laws.

"No Shirt
No Shoes
Visible Gun
No Service"
Not in Texas they don’t. It has to be a 30.06 or 30.07 sign.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not in Texas they don’t. It has to be a 30.06 or 30.07 sign.
Only if the business owner wants it enforced under the gun laws.

So, unless the gun laws in TX also changed the trespass laws, those are still in effect.

Business owner asks the person to leave for violating posted conditions. Person refuses. Business owner calls the police, who encourages him to leave and arrest him for trespassing if he refuses.

It is no different from places that don't want beach attire in their store, or restaurants that have a dress code.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Only if the business owner wants it enforced under the gun laws.

So, unless the gun laws in TX also changed the trespass laws, those are still in effect.

Business owner asks the person to leave for violating posted conditions. Person refuses. Business owner calls the police, who encourages him to leave and arrest him for trespassing if he refuses.

It is no different from places that don't want beach attire in their store, or restaurants that have a dress code.
No. Maybe in your state. Not texas. Here is what the law says.

(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1) carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,   1 on property of another without effective consent;  and
(2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.
(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
(c) In this section:
(1) “Entry” has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b) .
(2) “License holder” has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f) .
(3) “Written communication” means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:  “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code(trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”;  or
(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height;  and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

This is what currently serves as written notice for concealed carry. Not any random signs. It’s either this sign(or 07 for open carry) or they must verbally tell you. Anything else is just a decoration.

Reactions: Mike in Texas

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
well.......the bill has been sitting on his desk for two weeks.....and he still has not signed it....
He doesn’t need to. It will automatically become law. It is kind of strange though.

Reactions: Mike in Texas
21 - 40 of 59 Posts