Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 12 yrs
Badge Number: 1093

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Automobile accident
Date of Incident: Friday, October 14, 2005
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Not available

Patrolman John Wheeler was killed in an automobile accident when his patrol car was rear-ended by another vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed on Loop 410. Patrolman Wheeler was running radar at the time of the 2:00 am crash. Both vehicles burst into flames after the impact.

Patrolman Wheeler was able to send a distress signal from his radio after the collision but was trapped in the vehicle and unable to respond to dispatch. His location was identified through a GPS system installed in his patrol car. The driver of the vehicle that struck his patrol car was also killed.

Patrolman Wheeler's wife was the dispatcher on duty at the time of the accident.

Patrolman Wheeler had served with the San Antonio Police Department for 12 years. Two years earlier, he had been shot and wounded in the line of duty while responding to a robbery call.
He is survived by his wife and two daughters.

R.I.P. Patrolman John Wheeler

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Damn - RIP indeed, very much so.

What a very sad loss and how terrible a way to go.

I wonder - was he in a Crown Vic - probably - and wonder then , or assume - his gas tank got ruptured and started the inferno - must have been one very hard hit.

Another good man down. Fate was cruel.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
How sad.
And unfortunately this was one of those freak things where even your level of awarness isn't going to save you.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can't even imagine what his wife was going through sitting on the other end of that radio...

my fire dept. captain's wife works as a dispatcher. we were working a bad mva, and we thought he had a heart attack. they ran him to the ER, turns out it was heat related, but i know for a fact that she was scared out of her mind the whole time.

what a horrible horrible thing to have happen :(

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
too bad. Wonder what type of car he was driving?

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
It's always sad, and it seems this type of accident happens all to often these days.

I wonder if the traffic stop is now the most dangerous Police activity? At one time I thought it was the domestic call.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What Kind Of Car ??

I don't know but, if it was a Crown Vic that burst into flames after being rear~ended....then that should tell you something we already know about the Crown Victoria.

Even though this Police Officer did not lose his life in a shooting...I posted this here because he just seemed like a really good officer (on duty) that really went...way before his time.
Two little kids at home and his wife on the other end of the radio.
He did not die an easy death & that was no good way to go.
This is totally sad.
Even though I didn't know him - It's a very small thing to remember him here.
The vast majority of these good men and women REALLY DO become Police Officers because they honestly want to make a little chunk of the world a better and safer place.
That IS the reason why MOST Police Officers decide to become Police Officers.
That would be DITTO: for our EMS People & our Firefighters.

Sometimes...they go to "work" & they don't ever make home.
That is why they deserve our basic respect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts