Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if you qualify for the 50% price reduction on a CHL for a general-under honorable conditions discharge? Wanted to verify before I send my packet off and have it get unnecessarily delayed for not sending in enough money. Anybody with any first hand experience on the matter would be appreciated. The only information I could personally find was Sec. 411.1951 which states"WAIVER OR REDUCTION OF FEES FOR MEMBERS OR VETERANS OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES. (a) In this section, "veteran" means a person who:

(1) has served in:

(A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States;

(B) the state military forces as defined by Section 431.001; or

(C) an auxiliary service of one of those branches of the armed forces; and

(2) has been honorably discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served."

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
My guess is that it is for "Honorable" discharge ONLY...not a "General" under honorable.

Welcome to DC by the way....from South Carolina..

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would agree with 1sgt that it is a General discharge that you say you have. There is a difference between the two. Best of luck, and welcome aboard..

:wave:

EDIT: I'd say Pony up for the extra fees, and if you overpay; will they send the difference back to you? Just a thought also..

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Just mark other in the proper question, and sent in a copy of your DD214 and the cost is 1/2 regular price.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
QUOTE](A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States;[/QUOTE]

If you are going to use the "Marine Corps" in a sentence it should be capitalized :stups:[

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I would call the DPS CHL office and ask them,I too have a general under honorable and believe it is an honorable discharge,It's not a bad conduct,undesirable,or dishonorable

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I too have a general under honorable and believe it is an honorable discharge
If it's not an honorable discharge it's not an honorable discharge

·
Registered
568 Posts
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge

"In addition, service members are required to sign documents acknowledging that "substantial prejudice in civilian life" may be encountered under a general discharge.[1] Despite this, some personnel think because the discharge is described as general under honorable conditions, it is as good as or the same as an honorable discharge. Concerning VA disability and most other benefits that is true, however, a general discharge may preclude participation in the GI Bill, service on veteran's commissions, and other programs where a fully-honorable discharge is required."

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
It is The United States Marine Corps.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pardon my "noobiness" but would you define "CHL"?

·
8,501 Posts
IIRC folks that fail a urinalysis are given an admin discharge that changed to a general under honorable conditions after six months. So...NO it is not the same as an honorable discharge.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I would call the DPS and ask them before sending in the application.

The way I read section 411.1951 it should read "Honorable" under type, but that is me, and I could be wrong.

The call is free and could save you a bunch of time and trouble.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IIRC folks that fail a urinalysis are given an admin discharge that changed to a general under honorable conditions after six months. So...NO it is not the same as an honorable discharge.
The question was never asked if it was the same, merely if sec. 411.1951 applies to both types of discharges. All sec 411.1951 criteria is doing is determining if your considered to be a veteran. I'm presuming it does apply to a general discharge on the reasoning that I receive Hazlewood Benefits by the state, and in order to get that you have to be a Texas veteran. So if the state will pay for 150 hours of tuition I don't know why they wouldn't give me a $70 discount.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pardon my "noobiness" but would you define "CHL"?
Concealed Handgun License
I would call the DPS and ask them before sending in the application.

The way I read section 411.1951 it should read "Honorable" under type, but that is me, and I could be wrong.

The call is free and could save you a bunch of time and trouble.
Haven't heard too much positive about trying to contact DPS. I'm sure i'll wait on hold for a long period of time and get contradicting answers to my question. Guess it's the only recourse I have unless I can find someone to chime in with 1st hand experience.

·
Registered
383 Posts
QUOTE](A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States;
If you are going to use the "Marine Corps" in a sentence it should be capitalized :stups:[[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think all should be capitalized, but especially the Marines and Army. Thank you for serving, from a Navy Vet.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Well I just made the call for you. It took about 30 seconds from start to finish, no hold no wait.

Concealed Handgun Licensing Section: (800) 224-5744

I spoke with Monica and asked her if a discharge that read "General Under Honorable Conditions" qualified for the reduced fee, as opposed to mine that says simply "Honorable", she said as long as it says "Honorable" somewhere in that line that it would qualify.

So for what that is worth, I would send in the reduced fee and see where it takes you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just made the call for you. It took about 30 seconds from start to finish, no hold no wait.

Concealed Handgun Licensing Section: (800) 224-5744

I spoke with Monica and asked her if a discharge that read "General Under Honorable Conditions" qualified for the reduced fee, as opposed to mine that says simply "Honorable", she said as long as it says "Honorable" somewhere in that line that it would qualify.

So for what that is worth, I would send in the reduced fee and see where it takes you.
Lol well thanks, guess I'll go ahead and take that route. Again I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
356 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts