Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
congrats.......i have not payed attention for a while on the smiths and the shelves have been barren, but it looks like S&W has gone to a different grip again...
The grip is a hogue the previous owner got rid of the original smaller grips.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
It doesn't look like it was abused at all! Good Find! My 642 came from the factory with a very gritty trigger pull, that was off the scale on my trigger pull scale. [ the scale went to 12 lbs and was way off the scale].
To fix that I ordered a spring kit, but once I had the gun apart I found the trigger return slide was as rough as a rasp! Once I removed the deep machine marks and replaced the return spring, it dropped the trigger pull to just over 10 lbs. Later I added a lighter main spring and dropped the pull to just over 9 lbs. I still do not have any light strikes, or ignition problems, But it has made shooting so much easier!

The spring kit came with a lighter firing pin return, several weights of trigger return springs and three weights of main spring.
I would have been happy with just the smoothing and the trigger return spring replacement. But the next lower main spring was nice too! The 642 is what I carry every day! Congrats on getting the one you wanted! DR

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It doesn't look like it was abused at all! Good Find! My 642 came from the factory with a very gritty trigger pull, that was off the scale on my trigger pull scale. [ the scale went to 12 lbs and was way off the scale].
To fix that I ordered a spring kit, but once I had the gun apart I found the trigger return slide was as rough as a rasp! Once I removed the deep machine marks and replaced the return spring, it dropped the trigger pull to just over 10 lbs. Later I added a lighter main spring and dropped the pull to just over 9 lbs. I still do not have any light strikes, or ignition problems, But it has made shooting so much easier!

The spring kit came with a lighter firing pin return, several weights of trigger return springs and three weights of main spring.
I would have been happy with just the smoothing and the trigger return spring replacement. But the next lower main spring was nice too! The 642 is what I carry every day! Congrats on getting the one you wanted! DR
I was expecting a so so trigger and was pleasantly surprised on both the pull weight and smoothness of the trigger pull. But yes I can't help myself and will probably be ordering a spring kit as I do for all revolvers. :p

·
Registered
592 Posts
OP glad you're happy with your purchase. I have purchased the all stainless 640 Pro and 3" model 60. I opted for the APEX Tactical trigger kit because it's the only kit that included an enhanced firing pin to compensate for the lighter springs.

I have passed on Charter Arms many times over the years.
What's wrong with Charter Arms? I never owned one, but they seem to be raved about and are held in high esteem by the guys over on TheHighRoad.org forum, and seems those who had issues say the customer service and turnaround time was good too..

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I was expecting a so so trigger and was pleasantly surprised on both the pull weight and smoothness of the trigger pull. But yes I can't help myself and will probably be ordering a spring kit as I do for all revolvers. :p
My prediction is that you'll be pleased with your 642.

Mine has been my EDC for the past dozen years now.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,959 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I’d go with the charter arms over the 642.

Can’t believe you chose a 642 over a charter arms. Unbelievable. I bet You are regretting it already.
The price difference alone makes all the difference!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Grips are something that can easily be changed.
Yup they sure can but at the time it was so new selection was lacking so off it went and just haven't bothered to look into it again.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I have carried my 642 for 3 years and probably pulled the trigger a couple thousand times. For fun I just installed a Wilson Combat spring kit using the lightest #13 trigger return spring. There is a slight difference of about a pound, maybe two. The Wilson kit comes with an #8 pound hammer spring and a #13,#14 and #15 trigger return springs just like the Apex. It was $8.95 compared to the Apex which was $25.95. Of course the Apex comes with another firing pin and spring as you probably know.
It was cheap enough that I thought I should try it for myself and maybe change my mind about aftermarket spring kits. So far no issues even with Russian steel cased ammo. For me, after all this shooting time, it probably was of little value but, I can see a big difference if it were new or otherwise shot very little. It was a good opportunity to flush out the internals and apply new lube and inspect things anyway.
Just my experience with the first spring kit I ever tried. I think it would be a useful upgrade on a new j frame. All my other revolvers are stock and butter smooth from much use so they will remain untouched.

I think you got a great price. I bought mine new 3 years ago in the same packaging as yours for $335 on sale so with today's market $400 is very good for a used gun in that condition.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have carried my 642 for 3 years and probably pulled the trigger a couple thousand times. For fun I just installed a Wilson Combat spring kit using the lightest #13 trigger return spring. There is a slight difference of about a pound, maybe two. The Wilson kit comes with an #8 pound hammer spring and a #13,#14 and #15 trigger return springs just like the Apex. It was $8.95 compared to the Apex which was $25.95. Of course the Apex comes with another firing pin and spring as you probably know.
It was cheap enough that I thought I should try it for myself and maybe change my mind about aftermarket spring kits. So far no issues even with Russian steel cased ammo. For me, after all this shooting time, it probably was of little value but, I can see a big difference if it were new or otherwise shot very little. It was a good opportunity to flush out the internals and apply new lube and inspect things anyway.
Just my experience with the first spring kit I ever tried. I think it would be a useful upgrade on a new j frame. All my other revolvers are stock and butter smooth from much use so they will remain untouched.

I think you got a great price. I bought mine new 3 years ago in the same packaging as yours for $335 on sale so with today's market $400 is very good for a used gun in that condition.
All my research shows that Wilson #8 and #13 is the way to go. Definitely price friendly and a quick mod.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Nice find Rabbit!
I’d choose a Taurus over a Charter Arms any day.
And I did, twice. Came across a 856 .38 special and my 605 .357

21 - 40 of 49 Posts