Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
For the whole story try this URL:
Click Here For The Actual News Report
Here is the short version!! Nice shot. :congrats:

Toby Harnden in Ramadi
(Filed: 01/01/2006)

Gazing through the telescopic sight of his M24 rifle, Staff Sgt Jim Gilliland, leader of Shadow sniper team, fixed his eye on the Iraqi insurgent who had just killed an American soldier.

His quarry stood nonchalantly in the fourth-floor bay window of a hospital in battle-torn Ramadi, still clasping a long-barrelled Kalashnikov. Instinctively allowing for wind speed and bullet drop, Shadow's commander aimed 12 feet high.

A single shot hit the Iraqi in the chest and killed him instantly. It had been fired from a range of 1,250 metres, well beyond the capacity of the powerful Leupold sight, accurate to 1,000 metres.

"I believe it is the longest confirmed kill in Iraq with a 7.62mm rifle," said Staff Sgt Gilliland, 28, who hunted squirrels in Double Springs, Alabama from the age of five before progressing to deer - and then people.

"He was visible only from the waist up. It was a one in a million shot. I could probably shoot a whole box of ammunition and never hit him again."

Later that day, Staff Sgt Gilliland found out that the dead soldier was Staff Sgt Jason Benford, 30, a good friend.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yeah - can you check that URL Rick - no good as it is, even removing ''Toby" from end

Remarkable shot tho and certainly one of the ''fluke'' category - tho a guy who knows what he's doing can certainly stand a better chance of making it work.

That range is getting real close to one mile!!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jar - many thx, good to be able to read whole report.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Thanks Rick

Thanks For Posting This Story!
And...Kudos! to Staff Sgt Jim Gilliland for that totally amazing shot.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QK, Thanks for fixing the link. Strange it didn't work, I used the same one I clicked on...... Oddly, I clicked on the one jarhead79 provided, and that one didn't work for me, it kind of dead ended.

Also thought it was strange that thee was nothing in our press about this, but the British press picked it up.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Too bad more of our guys winning isn't in the media.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
U.S. Army: Travel Agents to Allah

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
As amazed as I am, I have to attribute about 20% of that to luck and 80% to skill. Granted I personally couldn't make that shot, but blind chance had a little bit to do with it.

This is the man Cooper is talking about when he refers to those rare few whose skill exceeds the capacity of their rifle.

My point is, we need to get this guy a bigger gun.:yup:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Euclidean said:
My point is, we need to get this guy a bigger gun.:yup:
Why? He seems to be doing quite well with the one he has.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
.50 's are heavy to carry. Especially travelling up and down in uban areas.

·
Banned
318 Posts
rocky said:
.50 's are heavy to carry. Especially travelling up and down in uban areas.

A good compromise in rifle weight and cartridge performance might be the .338Lapua. I've been thinking about one of those myself.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
tanksoldier said:
Ahhh... easy shot. 120mm HEAT would fix him right up, him and his buddies. :yup:
I believe it was Clint Smith who said that when confronted with a determined attacker, his weapon of choice is one that has a lanyard for a trigger.

I agree.:congrats:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Shot good...attention bad

rocky said:
Too bad more of our guys winning isn't in the media.
I agree with your comment in general. However, in this case the media has exposed the sniper teams AO. Not good. Additionally, some pictures of him have been released. Not good. Bad guys with pics and names and cells in the U.S. Not good at all.

It was an awesome shot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts