Defensive Carry banner

181 - 200 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
It’s a very humorous thread to say the least.

I suspectvfor for the most part everyone has their points. I carry anything and everything that meets my needs. I can run a small pocketable gun as well as most can a service size.
And, I’d say that most who feel better about larger caliber are probably better off going with something that makes up for their not feeling adequate with a smaller sidearm.

Because thats what it basically boils down to; feelings. Everything else is just subjective hyperbole.

You may carry on, lol

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Can't believe grown men would use a fmj bullet over an expanding design . Even if the expanded bullet does not expand much it does more damage than a fmj but give todays bullet designs like hst and range t series bullets .

forester58 Sound like you might be one of those shoot quick and hope kind of guys when it comes to Hunting !! Most trail a lot of deer ? A quality expanding bullet when placed properly does not damage meat that your going to eat at handgun velocitys . I've used 170gr sp in a 357mag at 1400fps on deer , well hit too with a high on the heart and both lugs but that deer did not drop like when a 240gr 44mag hp at slightly higher velocity when shoot in the same area. . No eatable meat lost and I watched the deer hit the ground . Still a 180gr 21bn swc worked well on hogs but bullets hit the shoulder or head will bring down a large hog .

Any how when talking about a 380acp , not really any great options here . Just keep pulling the trigger to there is not more threat or your no more threat !!

I've used my personal defense 40sw loads 155gr gd at 1300fps and my EDC on a couple deer that show up under me over the years while sitting in a tree stand when they show up under me . Both deer fall ether in place or with in 50 or 60 feet . Both shots paced thru 17+ of tissue expending well but lung and or heart damage along with some bone .

Not going to debate the 380 as its a 380 after all special when carried in some micro sized pistol . I find no reason to carry a 380acp when I already carry a 40 or 45 with todays find bullet choices I use those fmj on the range only .

BUt since this sorry tread was about the 380acp and to keep whiny wavygravy happy !! If a 380 was my only choice for a handgun do to other choices being illegal make it a bersa thunder plus with 15+1 and bullets ??? No idea . But until that happens I'll carry a 9mm or a 40sw or a 45 acp for personal defense . HA
Condescending works when there’s no substance:hand1:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't know if the PF-9 would be my first choice, but I wouldn't rule it out. And it depends what you're comparing it to. I'd rather shoot it with the PF-9 than the P3AT. I'd rather shoot it with a P365, G43, or Shield than the PF-9

BTW I hadn't heard of this before. Looks interesting

I'll bet trying to run a wizard drill with a PF-9 would be a real eye-opener for a lot of people. And not in a good way.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm definitely giving that wizard drill a try next time I go to the range. I'll try it with my Kahr CW 380 in a pocket holster and whatever carry gun I happen to be carrying that day.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I don't know if the PF-9 would be my first choice, but I wouldn't rule it out. And it depends what you're comparing it to. I'd rather shoot it with the PF-9 than the P3AT. I'd rather shoot it with a P365, G43, or Shield than the PF-9

BTW I hadn't heard of this before. Looks interesting

Hackathorn is talking a little smack here. Any of those stages are easy to pass with a pocket gun. Hell, on the first stage by the time he drew and got off one shot, I’d had two in his brain housing group.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The issue, as brought up by Talldog is whether that drill would be harder with a subcompact 9mm than with a .380 (assuming pocket gun.) To my mind the answer would be no, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually easier.

Hackathorn is talking a little smack here. Any of those stages are easy to pass with a pocket gun. Hell, on the first stage by the time he drew and got off one shot, I’d had two in his brain housing group.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I went to the range today for "9mm day." Only took my G26 and my G48. I was OK with the 48 (221 rounds), but the 26 really beat up my hands, which are still stiff several hours later. I put it away after 110 rounds. This has been coming on with the 26 for the past year with the arthritis and declining grip strength, and is why my future is .380. That 26 is the best carry gun I've ever owned, but I'm probably going to give it to my (younger) brother-in-law. Any gun that I can't practice a lot with is no good to me.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
You know, I’m still wondering...why doesn’t Glock start making the 25 and 28 here in the US?

I would think there would be enough of a market for a 15 and 10 round .380 to justify the cost of setting up production, since the hard part (development) has already been done...

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Can't believe grown men would use a fmj bullet over an expanding design . Even if the expanded bullet does not expand much it does more damage than a fmj but give todays bullet designs like hst and range t series bullets .

forester58 Sound like you might be one of those shoot quick and hope kind of guys when it comes to Hunting !! Most trail a lot of deer ? A quality expanding bullet when placed properly does not damage meat that your going to eat at handgun velocitys . I've used 170gr sp in a 357mag at 1400fps on deer , well hit too with a high on the heart and both lugs but that deer did not drop like when a 240gr 44mag hp at slightly higher velocity when shoot in the same area. . No eatable meat lost and I watched the deer hit the ground . Still a 180gr 21bn swc worked well on hogs but bullets hit the shoulder or head will bring down a large hog .

Any how when talking about a 380acp , not really any great options here . Just keep pulling the trigger to there is not more threat or your no more threat !!

I've used my personal defense 40sw loads 155gr gd at 1300fps and my EDC on a couple deer that show up under me over the years while sitting in a tree stand when they show up under me . Both deer fall ether in place or with in 50 or 60 feet . Both shots paced thru 17+ of tissue expending well but lung and or heart damage along with some bone .

Not going to debate the 380 as its a 380 after all special when carried in some micro sized pistol . I find no reason to carry a 380acp when I already carry a 40 or 45 with todays find bullet choices I use those fmj on the range only .

BUt since this sorry tread was about the 380acp and to keep whiny wavygravy happy !! If a 380 was my only choice for a handgun do to other choices being illegal make it a bersa thunder plus with 15+1 and bullets ??? No idea . But until that happens I'll carry a 9mm or a 40sw or a 45 acp for personal defense . HA
Well, I was not talking of using hardcast for hunting if you took the time to read my post instead of puffing your chest and trying to invalidate my man card. I use expanding soft points not hollow points, but, what the heck would I know not being a "grown man" and all. Do you feel better now about yourself?
Just to give you more ammo to slam me I am carrying a Beretta Pico AIWB to a wedding this weekend. I hope they have a spot at the kiddies table for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You know, I’m still wondering...why doesn’t Glock start making the 25 and 28 here in the US?

I would think there would be enough of a market for a 15 and 10 round .380 to justify the cost of setting up production, since the hard part (development) has already been done...
Because they are the same size at the 9mm guns... if you look at the magazine for them, they have a filler to the rear (ribs around the back).

Personally, I don’t think there is a big market for a .380 double stack pistol. Whoever wants one, there is the Cheetah line from Beretta (among others). Think the market is content with those.

Ammo costs, and how small 9mm guns are, bigger .380s really pressed to find a role not filled by something else. Not knocking them, but if I’m going .380, it is size limited... like my LCP.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Because they are the same size at the 9mm guns... if you look at the magazine for them, they have a filler to the rear (ribs around the back).

Personally, I don’t think there is a big market for a .380 double stack pistol. Whoever wants one, there is the Cheetah line from Beretta (among others). Think the market is content with those.

Ammo costs, and how small 9mm guns are, bigger .380s really pressed to find a role not filled by something else. Not knocking them, but if I’m going .380, it is size limited... like my LCP.
Except, here’s the thing: there's a market-and I dare say, a growing market–of people looking for a lighter recoiling, larger pistol not for necessarily for carry, but for HD, or other purposes. They don’t want the teeny-tiny .380’s, because they have unpleasant recoil, tiny grips leading to difficult control, and not so great sights. They want something with a rail that they can mount a light on. They want a full-sized grip. They want something with easy to see sights...heck, even something that can wear a red dot.

S&W caught on to it with their Shield EZ...if they doublestack it, it'll likely be a winner. My mother-in-law just got an EZ on my recommendation, after trying out a whole bunch of different pistols...including a G19, which she was unable to rack the slide on (and yes, I showed her proper technique...)...in fact, she could only rack the slide on one 9mm pistol, a full-size 1911, and then only when the hammer was cocked.

Sure, it’s easy to say that a G19 or 26 is light enough recoiling, and still a 9mm, and maybe to you and I, it is; but there’s a lot of people, getting to be more all the time, that it just doesn’t work for...and I don’t see why a gun company (particularly one that already has the product developed, and existing models) would want to ignore this market segment.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sure, it’s easy to say that a G19 or 26 is light enough recoiling, and still a 9mm, and maybe to you and I, it is; but there’s a lot of people, getting to be more all the time, that it just doesn’t work for...and I don’t see why you want to ignore this market segment.
Think the main difference we are seeing, and even more apparent when you bring up the Shield EZ, is that those .380 Glocks are blowback. They are not locked breech, like the Shield EZ or even the Glock 42.

Now, if they redesigned those larger models to make a 30S like hybrid, and got the weight down to allow for a locked action opposed to blowback... then I do think that there would be a market. Huge market? Doubt it for ammo cost. But this also scratches out the design costs already being put up, because the original 25/28 are blowback. Will Glock put those resources in an “unsure” market? Probably not.

Now, what would people rather have; a blowback .380 the size of a 19/26, or a 9mm locked breech 19/26?

181 - 200 of 262 Posts