Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
It doesn't make sense to you. It may (and actually does) make sense to others.
Absolutely. Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do; nothing wrong with it.

Im talking generalities here, which is more the rule than the exception.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Training is always more important than the equipment.

That said shot placement is more important than caliber, I would want a bonded HP or FMJ as I go to a smaller caliber; the round has to get to the vitals.

·
Premium Member
34,156 Posts
That is exactly how I view my pocket 380. More of a left hand primary option for me than a "BUG". If its the only gun I can carry that day it stays in the left pocket as the only primary. I typically do not even practice much with it right handed. It has a very specific role that it fills very well in my opinion.
Mine is strictly weak-side carry and fire, as well.

·
Premium Member
34,156 Posts
When did this thread get changed to pocket carrying a .380?....Did i miss something?
But since the thread seems to have changed to pocket carry.
There are plenty of posts showing that people carry bigger than a .380 in their pocket.
As well as those who carry a .380 in a IWB holster.
It doesn't matter to me what one chooses to carry and how they carry.
This is nothing more than a discussion on the .380 and how others feel about it.
No one is forced to agree with anyone else's opinion here...Just a bunch of thoughts
on a subject that seems to be interesting to few anyway.
Clearly, you are looking for an argument, not a discussion. Noted.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Clearly, you are looking for an argument, not a discussion. Noted.
Looks like a discussion to me?...Our views are different...No biggy here...Back to the discussion.
However when thread title is .380 for self defense as a only caliber and it drifts to pocket carry i think we
should get back on track...There is plenty of room for another thread on pocket carry....Shall we let the discussion continue.....

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I don't do pictures well. I carry a fullsize Glock and a spare mag concealed comfortably 99.9% of the time. Its about gear, belt, holster, mag pouch....
Agreed, G17.5 AIWB at least one mag.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Been carrying a BG 380 all morning in a fanny pack (gasp!) while walking and running errands with Mrs SWIll. A nice option to have.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Just got back from my morning range trip. Moving drawing and shooting from a few feet to 10 yards from target. Used both my Shield 9 (IWB) and the little Ruger LCPII (front pocket).
I'm no great shakes, but I can put that little .380 round just where I want to multiple times. It'll do in certain situations. Like others have said here, the pocket draw is faster as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For those of us who are ambidextrous, which side is weak side carry?
For semis, does it depend upon presence of ambi safety?
For J-frames, ease of reload because of cylinder swing-out direction?
Or is it always left side because most people are right handed?

·
Registered
597 Posts
The Walther PPK .380 ACP was my first firearm. Someone said, "Federal is the best ammo!" so I carried Federal FMJ (95 gr, 955 ft/s, 193 ft-lbf/262 J, 17 in pen) for about a year until a good friend and mentor laughed, ribbed me, then ridiculed me for carrying "target practice ammunition." When I asked him what I should carry, he said, "For that thing? Silvertips. Same energy, but they stop in half the distance, so the impact is double."

So, I switched to Winchester Silvertip JHP (85 gr, 1,000 ft/s, 189 ft-lbf/256 J, 6.5 in pen).

Couple of years later I got a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum, which was great for deer hunting and camping, but impractical as a carry weapon. Even while hunting I carried my Walther in a zippered pocket.

Loved those guns, but while stationed overseas, I gave them to my dad. After I returned, he wouldn't give them back! Lol...

So, I now have a 9mm.

.380 compared to my 9mm. No comparison. If I had minimal space and needed serious concealment, I'd pick up the Walther. In the meantime, my 15+1 9mm is concealable enough, and with a Remington Golden Saber Black Belt round (GSN9MMCB) (124 g, 1,125 ft/s, 348 ft-lbf, 10 in pen (est).) or Winchester PDX1 Defender (147 gr, 1,000 fps, 326 ft-lbf, 9 in pen (est)) it has considerably greater punch.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
The opposite side of your normal carry. I normally carry right side/shoot right handed with handguns, but I'm a southpaw. My weak side in reality IS my strong side.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
:danceban: I make that joke in class all the time. I don't have a weak side, I have a strong side and a stronger side.

No one thinks it's funny til I take advantage of cover/concealment by changing gun hands based on my C/C.

·
Premium Member
34,156 Posts
Your call.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,432 Posts

I am left-handed and right-eye dominant. I have carried and shot primarily right-handed since 1969. I have right-hand and left-hand holsters for most of my carry guns. If I am carrying a rifle right-handed, I may carry a handgun left-handed. I may want to carry two handguns.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Just another nonsense article that is about calibers. Completely silly to suggest that any modern ammo won't penetrate clothing. The only reason why I carry Lehigh XPs is in case I need to shoot through a wall or automobile glass before I hit the target. If you look at the test results you will see that a Lehigh .380 round will go through 4 layers of denim and then 12" into the gel. The Lehigh extreme defense ammo will go 17" into the gel. See the Shooting the Bull video. I am more worried that a round would go through too far and hit an unwanted target behind the main target. Many people have been killed with a .380. One guy in Texas was killed by his own ricochet. Even when they had the kind of ammo. made during the WW2. One guy killed a black bear with one shot but the bear was naked so we will never know what would have happened if the bear had a coat on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry a Bersa Thunder .380. That’s about all the recoil my 73 year old, small, arthritic hands can comfortably handle. But, like they say, any gun you are carrying is better than the one you left at home. Also, my old eyes greatly benefit from the Crimson Trace laser grips on my Bersa. They are especially nice because they don’t require a modified holster to accommodate.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

The .380 is the smallest service caliber, essentially a 9mm short (.354 diameter, the .380 is the casing diameter). It's the smallest I would carry full time. But then, even a .22 is better than a .000. Personally, maximum rounds on target in the minimum time gets the job done.

61 - 80 of 262 Posts