Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Heck, I consider a kubaton adequate for self defense. A little .380 has more range though.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If I were only able to carry my 380 I would use either hardcast RNFP like buffalo Bore or FMJ RNFP. I know it will penetrate plenty and get to the things which cause stops. I’ve shot a PPK out to 50yds and got successful hits reliably on a idpa sized steal plate. My reasoning for carrying something other is I prefer a full size weapon for capacity. My reasoning for choosing a different caliber is because if I’m going to carry a full size gun then I might as well have a full power cartridge to go in it. 380 has worked one SD shootings for years some others simply work better. Sadly I let my ppk get away from me and have yet to get another I will someday and when I do I’ll carry it every once in awhile.Some people get to caught up with the arrow when it’s the Indian that must both knock it and release it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I decided to carry a .380 because if I ever have to fire it, where ever that bullet goes, I own it. I am responsible for whatever it hits. If I were shooting a larger caliber gun and the bullet hit the perpetrator and went through them and hit someone else, I am responsible for that. Of if I miss and a larger caliber bullet goes through a wall, I am responsible. I want a round that can injure a person to make them stop, but not so strong it will pass through them or walls. That is my crazy theory anyway.

·
Registered
36,192 Posts
I decided to carry a .380 because if I ever have to fire it, where ever that bullet goes, I own it. I am responsible for whatever it hits. If I were shooting a larger caliber gun and the bullet hit the perpetrator and went through them and hit someone else, I am responsible for that. Of if I miss and a larger caliber bullet goes through a wall, I am responsible. I want a round that can injure a person to make them stop, but not so strong it will pass through them or walls. That is my crazy theory anyway.
Bean bag gun...

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
There is an old saying, "Bad guys will break my bones, but sleazy lawyers can never hurt me" or something to that effect.

The objective, the ONLY objective, of carrying a lethal weapon is stopping the attack. IF the lawsuit issue seems more important to you than stopping the attack, surviving, or protecting your family, then may I respectfully suggest you should leave the gun at home. Stopping an attack demands your full attention. Getting busy worrying about something trivial in comparison will cause things to not go so well.

Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
One should choose what makes them comfortable! With that said any good quality modern hollow point and some of the old ones will reliably stop within the torso. They are specifically designed to do so after penetrating enough to cause incapacitation. The other side of this is as follows. Something like 75% of rounds fired in a shooting miss the intended target a miss is far more of a problem then is a pass through after a bullet has expelled the energy required to penetrate the body it’s pretty much toast. As for Bullets fires going through things like walls there’s not a SD round I know of that won’t penetrate the wall of most homes. Your only talking two sheets of drywall on the interior as for the exterior of a frame house your talking a sheet of drywall a sheet of OSB and a piece of vinyl siding. 9mm will go right through 45 will and so will 380.

ETA: not attacking your theory just adding some information to it so you may be better armed if you need it.

·
Registered
36,192 Posts
There is an old saying, "Bad guys will break my bones, but sleazy lawyers can never hurt me" or something to that effect.

The objective, the ONLY objective, of carrying a lethal weapon is stopping the attack. IF the lawsuit issue seems more important to you than stopping the attack, surviving, or protecting your family, then may I respectfully suggest you should leave the gun at home. Stopping an attack demands your full attention. Getting busy worrying about something trivial in comparison will cause things to not go so well.
Or as I like to say, make a decision; live with the consequences. But you might want to make that decision in a hurry.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
727 Posts
That's a great theory, and very humanitarian of you... but 380 will go through a body or a wall too. That has more to do with the manufacturer of the round, the person, and the construction of the wall; and less to do with the caliber of the bullet.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
I decided to carry a .380 (sometimes when I can't get away with carrying a 9) because if I ever have to fire it, I'll fire it fully intending on killing or incapacitating whomever I fire it at. I'll own that and be responsible for it. I'll worry about over-penetration/whatever else later. How's that?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Just a friendly thought. We don't shoot to kill...we shoot to stop the threat. Reminding ourselves of that truth is excellent practice should, God forbid, we ever have to shoot.

The times I heard someone say "I shot him because I wanted to kill him" or some other such thing, it never went well with the shooter.

On the other hand, a guy who told us he had to shoot to "stop the threat to me and my family...the guy was going to kill us", after an investigation, no charges filed.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Just a friendly thought. We don't shoot to kill...we shoot to stop the threat. Reminding ourselves of that truth is excellent practice should, God forbid, we ever have to shoot.

The times I heard someone say "I shot him because I wanted to kill him" or some other such thing, it never went well with the shooter.

On the other hand, a guy who told us he had to shoot to "stop the threat to me and my family...the guy was going to kill us", after an investigation, no charges filed.
You are correct. I should have left my statement at "incapacitate."

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
You are correct. I should have left my statement at "incapacitate."
Hey brother, if I had a dollar for every time I've said that same thing to myself, I'd treat myself to my own set of Christmas cards! :smile:

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

Pretty cool when a pastor cop tells you how to get out of a kill’in without going to jail

:rofl:

Sir, I was always told to shoot to kill cause if you don’t you will end up supporting them the rest of their life. Your idea is much better, you still can shoot to kill, but make sure it’s legal just by how you phrase it! :yup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
OP....something is better than nothing.

The .380 or 9mm Browning short is OK, but lesser so than the more potent 9mm. . The .25 is a toy, .22 Stinger is better than a .25, just forget all these puny calibers unless it is a last resort. If you do find your life resting on a .25 or .22, they do the best job when placed in an eye or an ear.

If you want great penetration it requires a full metal jacket with low expansion of the bullet. This may cause problems with the bullet exiting the body cleaning doing less damage to the assailant, offering less stopping power and hitting innocent bystanders.

Here are a few penetration tests of stacked newsprint to give you an idea how various ammo performs.

.22 short 5/8 inch of newsprint (snubnose)
.22 quiet 1 inch of newsprint (snubnose)
.22 HVHP 2-3/8 inches of newsprint (snubnose)
.22 Stinger 3-1/4 inches of newsprint (snubnose)
.380 ball 3-3/8 inches of newsprint (Beretta)
.38 SP Federal ball 4 inches of newsprint (snubnose)
.357 Hornady plastic tip magnum 3-3/4 inches of compressed kraft paper (snubnose) (a)
.357 Hornady plastic tip magnum 6 inches of compressed kraft paper (Ruger 4" barrel) (a)
9mm Hornady 6-7/8 inches of newsprint (Beretta)
9mm Herters nylon jacket 10 inches of newsprint (Beretta)
.45 Auto ball 4 inches of newsprint (Colt 1911)

(a) I was starting to change the tests to use compressed Kraft paper and never got round to finishing them. Kraft paper offer more resistance than newsprint. If the .357 was shot into newsprint I think the penetration would be about 25% more.

.38 Sp. contact shot through folded cloth

contact shot from 1 .38 SP through folded cloth  D.D. Teoli Jr..jpg

"A small .38 spl revolver is more reliable in these situations than a small .380 ACP pistol, especially with contact shots or if fired from a pocket.”

This is true.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Pretty cool when a pastor cop tells you how to get out of a kill’in without going to jail

:rofl:

Sir, I was always told to shoot to kill cause if you don’t you will end up supporting them the rest of their life. Your idea is much better, you still can shoot to kill, but make sure it’s legal just by how you phrase it! :yup:
It's a little more complicated than that. But this is basic stuff.

Most people talk themselves into serious charges because they are eager to talk (adreneline) and they say the wrong thing. Basically you never shoot to wound (if the actor only needed wounding, then lethal force wasn't necessary) and you never say to anyone that they needed killing (even if you say that to yourself).

As to lawsuits...that is for later. Suffice to say that in Texas if it is ruled a good shoot (justified) under the law, you cannot be sued in civil court.

That's just a nutshell. Thank the good Lord I'm not a lawyer. Ohhhh...even saying that makes me nauseated!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Common misconception that a 380 will not penetrate. I am not taking a stand on weather it is or is not a worthy SD round. Worthless discussion IMO. But this is a 380 and a steel door both sides. The black DOT was the nose on a face painted on the door. Shot at 21 feet with a ruger LCP . The round also went through 7/16 ply wood behind the door.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 262 Posts