Defensive Carry banner

121 - 140 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/124113-alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power.html

Percent not stopped regardless of number of hits

22-35%
25-31%
32-40%

380-16%
38-17%
9-13%
357-9%
40-13%
45-14%
44mag-13%

Rifle-9%
Shotgun-12%

Basically, once you get to 380 and above, the failure to stop rate is pretty consistent.

I love 380. It allows my wife and I to be armed all the time.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,374 Posts
I vote left.

.50 AE Comparison.jpg

·
Registered
18,561 Posts
Maybe not a 45 or 357 but according to responses to "What handgun have you carried most in the last 30 days" it is something bigger than a 380.
I'll count through the additional responses sometime today, but after 100 replies about 70 reported carrying at least a compact size pistol or bigger.
I don't think its inaccurate to say that most people are carrying at least 9mm for concealed carry.
https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/459252-what-handgun-have-you-carried-most-last-30-days-update-page-12-a-12.html
Pocket size (642, LCP, G43) = 32
Compact (Glock 26/33/30, Shield) = 31
Duty (Glock 19, Sig 229, 1911) = 42
Wow! I would have expected the response on this forum, which represents the sub group of society that is more focused on SD than the at large segment to have much higher numbers posted representing the larger guns and calibers.

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It really needs to sink in deeply and permanently that it isn't the ARROW, but the INDIAN.

It isn't the VIOLIN, but the MASTER.

On and on I could go. I would think people here would be most aware that placing your shots exactly is more critical to your survival than almost anything else. There is just no such thing as the "magic" caliber/gun.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Wow! I would have expected the response on this forum, which represents the sub group of society that is more focused on SD than the at large segment to have much higher numbers posted representing the larger guns and calibers.
I updated the total on page 20 of that thread, that about 70% reported carrying bigger than a pocket gun didn't change.
Pocket (LCP / 38 snub / Glock 42) = 55
Compact (Glock 26/30 / Shield / XDs) = 67
Duty (Glock 19/23 / Sig 229 / 1911) = 56

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
It really needs to sink in deeply and permanently that it isn't the ARROW, but the INDIAN.

It isn't the VIOLIN, but the MASTER.

On and on I could go. I would think people here would be most aware that placing your shots exactly is more critical to your survival than almost anything else. There is just no such thing as the "magic" caliber/gun.
Assuming we are all Chiefs and not just a regular Indian.:smile:

·
Registered
18,561 Posts
I updated the total on page 20 of that thread, that about 70% reported carrying bigger than a pocket gun didn't change.
Pocket (LCP / 38 snub / Glock 42) = 55
Compact (Glock 26/30 / Shield / XDs) = 67
Duty (Glock 19/23 / Sig 229 / 1911) = 56
Im still impressed that such a large percentage of people pocket carry on a forum where it would be expected that the vast majority would be more dogmatic or zealous than the general population.

Which still leads me to believe that if a poll could be taken of people outside of this very small percentage of gun people, that those numbers would be much different.

But even on here, it’s an impressive 30% that carry ( or admit to carrying) something smaller than 9mm in the pocket.

·
Registered
18,561 Posts

I love 380. It allows my wife and I to be armed all the time.
And there it is.
As a man, and a teacher of practical self defense, the gun or caliber is of little importance....to me. I can make do with or without it.
And I don’t care what the MARSOC, RAIDERS, SEALS or FBI carries or why. My concern is for the housewife protecting herself and children, grandma, grandpa, and those with infirmities that have special needs or considerations, whether physical, age related, environmental, or lifestyle.

To much of the dogma in the caliber wars is derived from a narcissistic point of view, which is regretful in the grand scheme of it all.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Bullit Math. Meh.
And there it is.
As a man, and a teacher of practical self defense, the gun or caliber is of little importance....to me. I can make do with or without it.
And I don’t care what the MARSOC, RAIDERS, SEALS or FBI carries or why. My concern is for the housewife protecting herself and children, grandma, grandpa, and those with infirmities that have special needs or considerations, whether physical, age related, environmental, or lifestyle.

To much of the dogma in the caliber wars is derived from a narcissistic point of view, which is regretful in the grand scheme of it all.
Maybe it's partly the "mine's bigger than yours" male body part overcompensation factor as well. Heheheh. Let the flames begin....

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
380, 9mm.10mm all the numbers makes my head hurt. This I know a 380 with 95 gr flat nose rounds will get the jib done at any reasonable range for the weapon. Very small weapons like the LCP require more time to learn how to shoot it well.
With proper aim a 9mm hand gun will hit a target at 100 yards. How effective it might be I leave to you to experiment with. An LCP 380 at 100 yards will not find the target. Maybe with some more work I can get it there but I gave up.
380 is a 21 feet or less SD . It is not a recommend back up for bear hunting.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Assuming we are all Chiefs and not just a regular Indian.:smile:
The real world list of actual events indicates a significant percentage of gun owners who have to use a gun for self defense are just regular Indians. Have we bought into the grabbers arguments that some guns are far more dangerous/lethal than others? I hope not.

I saw people killed with all manner of calibers. There isn't any way to even tell reliably what they were shot with outside the ME's table, that is pistol injuries. I saw people shot multiple times, I saw victims with single wounds. Statistically everything from 22 through 357 Mag. For every caliber, there were victims killed with a single shot to a vital area, and non-homicides with multiple gunshots to non-vital areas.

Place your shots and stop fretting about carrying a "too small" caliber. If you're dealing with bears, fret.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
The real world list of actual events indicates a significant percentage of gun owners who have to use a gun for self defense are just regular Indians. Have we bought into the grabbers arguments that some guns are far more dangerous/lethal than others? I hope not.

I saw people killed with all manner of calibers. There isn't any way to even tell reliably what they were shot with outside the ME's table, that is pistol injuries. I saw people shot multiple times, I saw victims with single wounds. Statistically everything from 22 through 357 Mag. For every caliber, there were victims killed with a single shot to a vital area, and non-homicides with multiple gunshots to non-vital areas.

Place your shots and stop fretting about carrying a "too small" caliber.
I am perfectly comfortable with what i carry....I don't frown on anybodies choice of carry....I have my reasons and they have theirs.
We get to offended on here when someone has a different opinion than our own.
I prefer a 9 as my smallest caliber...I am not offended by the crowd who say's..."I would never carry a gun in a caliber that doesn't start with at least a 4"

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Maybe it's partly the "mine's bigger than yours" male body part overcompensation factor as well. Heheheh. Let the flames begin....
Well...If that were true...We wouldn't be on page 10 with 130+ posts...We would all be carrying Desert Eagles.
You don't believe in Toxic Masculinity like the California Gov do you?:smile:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I am perfectly comfortable with what i carry....I don't frown on anybodies choice of carry....I have my reasons and they have theirs.
We get to offended on here when someone has a different opinion than our own.
I prefer a 9 as my smallest caliber...I am not offended by the crowd who say's..."I would never carry a gun in a caliber that doesn't start with at least a 4"
I agree. The only truly amazing thing is the incredible lengths many will go to to give the appearance they're not engaging in a caliber war. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I agree. The only truly amazing thing is the incredible lengths many will go to to give the appearance they're not engaging in a caliber war. :rolleyes:
I figured by now somebody would start a pro .380 thread...We are all strong headed in what we believe and i have yet to
see anyone say...."You know what... You changed my opinion on the subject"...I am sure someone has but i haven't seen it.
It's all good fun for me none the less:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Well...If that were true...We wouldn't be on page 10 with 130+ posts...We would all be carrying Desert Eagles.
You don't believe in Toxic Masculinity like the California Gov do you?:smile:
You mean you don't carry a Desert Eagle? What's wrong with you? :rolleyes:

Toxic masculinity? No, not as far as I know, I don't believe in that. I don't feel the need to prove anything to anybody, and don't much care who does what. Except toxic stupidity. That does tend to bother me.

121 - 140 of 262 Posts