Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,095 Posts
A .410 is almost too small for squirrel hunting.:gah:

At its very best for deer, using a 1/5 Oz. slug only approximates a
.357 mag which is considered marginal on a deer. In many states, its not even legal for deer.

While deer have been killed and will continue to be killed with a .410, it is cetainly not the best tool for the job.

A 20 guage with slugs is much better if you are concerned about recoil.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The reason I was asking was that I am planning on buying a shotgun for hunting before deer gun season (after I buy another pistol). While browsing I ran across a really cool 410 shotgun/45long colt rifle from H&R and was hoping that it would work.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
The .45 LC might be a good close range option for deer, though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I know a .410 is posible. Although I would strongly recomend against it.
My grandfather shot several whitetail with a 20ga. He didnt like the results. He shot over 67 whitetail during his lifetime (mostly with a .30-30).

The .45 LC might be a good close range option for deer, though.
Heck yeah! I think it would be great for close range. Especly if you handload. You can pump a .45 up to .44mag power.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I'd also say not big enough for a deer load. While it's possible, you need to get a good shot from close range. Not ideal unless you are a better hunter than I (lots better, 'cause I'm terrible).

·
Registered
78 Posts
[A .410 is almost too small for squirrel hunting.]

you nailed it on the head there, ive seen more than one squirrel limp away from a hit with a 410 [now they werent hit with a slug]but i would say that it would at least be marginal on deer. just my two cents worth

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
NO,NO,PLEASE, NO. Hunting should be a humane sport.

Why would anybody use a .410 when there are soooooooo many other great weapons out there ?? -------

·
Registered
606 Posts
Rock and Glock said:
very effective on Armadillos.
That hilarious! I didnt know you were allowed to shoot them. Then again I've never actually seen one, not too many of em roaming the woods of PA.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Armadillo visit

Freedz said:
That hilarious! I didnt know you were allowed to shoot them. Then again I've never actually seen one, not too many of em roaming the woods of PA.
I had the unfortunate pleasure of having an armadillo enter our tent in Texas while camping with Wife #1's family. The armadillo was fine; the pack of dogs in hot pursuit were another story! 3 made it into the tent, the armadillo exited, and eventually the dogs found the door and followed. I hope the little fella got away - I didn't know they could be fast!:danceban:

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
The Pennsylvania Armadillo is very difficult to take with a .410
Our Cold Winters make them much tougher up here. :rofl:

I would go with a 12 for deer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
More than adequate (On 2 legged that is :) Unless slug and UP close defintely Not my ideal choice for deer thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I wouldn't use a .410 on anything larger than a rabbit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts