Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a copy of the "Gun Digest Book of Classic Combat Handguns" at a used bookstore a while back, for the reasonable price of $3. It's a pretty nice little collection of articles going back to the 1940's. Interesting to see what writers were writing about back in the day.

A good sample can be seen at Google Books, including a neat little story about a soldier's hand-me-down .45 Auto that he took to war. Scroll down to page 33 at the link below to view.

"After the outbreak of World War II, I was commissioned in the artillery and Dad gave me 'the 45.' The issue Model 1911 45-cal. automatic pistol was more awkward to handle, so I carried mine exclusively. It was lighter weight because it is very simply constructed and of thinner metal..."

https://books.google.com/books?id=O...HSAhUr8IMKHcjjDnAQ6AEIHDAB#v=onepage&q&f=true

Reactions: OD* and OldChap

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Your link is to a preview. Only pages 1-14 are available. Too bad. I would like to read the article. I guess the book is still in copyright?

·
Super Moderator
22,266 Posts
Interesting, Max, thanks.

"After the outbreak of World War II, I was commissioned in the artillery and Dad gave me 'the 45.' The issue Model 1911 45-cal. automatic pistol was more awkward to handle, so I carried mine exclusively. It was lighter weight because it is very simply constructed and of thinner metal..."
A M1905 was less "awkward to handle" than an M1911? How bizarre.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your link is to a preview. Only pages 1-14 are available. Too bad. I would like to read the article. I guess the book is still in copyright?
Sorry about that - I loaded the preview a few times, and it let me view the table of contents through page 17, and then pages 31-36. I'll see if I can figure out a better link.

Edit: it might work better to go to books.google.com and search for "Robert Skiles gun digest". Maybe it selects the preview pages based on the search terms, idk.

Reactions: OldChap and OD*

·
Banned
2,569 Posts

I don't really get that either. Anyway, I found the articles pretty interesting. It's funny to look back and see what they thought compared to what writers and shooters think today.

·
Super Moderator
22,266 Posts
Sorry about that - I loaded the preview a few times, and it let me view the table of contents through page 17, and then pages 31-36. I'll see if I can figure out a better link.

Edit: it might work better to go to books.google.com and search for "Robert Skiles gun digest". Maybe it selects the preview pages based on the search terms, idk.
It worked for me?

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sure! It's the first story I recall reading of a pre-1911 .45 Auto going to war. I have to imagine that the number making it to WWII service numbered a few hundred at the most.

Having never held one, I'll take his word for it, but I sure don't find a 1911 awkward. Maybe he just didn't like the weight.

Reactions: OD*

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Sure! It's the first story I recall reading of a pre-1911 .45 Auto going to war. I have to imagine that the number making it to WWII service numbered a few hundred at the most.

Having never held one, I'll take his word for it, but I sure don't find a 1911 awkward. Maybe he just didn't like the weight.
They are about the same weight though (close enough).

·
Super Moderator
22,266 Posts

You might find this interesting. http://coltautos.com/pdf/Colt1905.pdf - password -coltautos.com

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Vewweeey stwange (as the German used to say on "Laugh In")

I ran it several different ways. Probably a browser problem using Chrome by, wait for it, GOOGLE.

Odd. I just tried on Opera. Same limit. Oh well. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vewweeey stwange (as the German used to say on "Laugh In")

I ran it several different ways. Probably a browser problem using Chrome by, wait for it, GOOGLE.

Odd. I just tried on Opera. Same limit. Oh well. Don't worry about it.
Bummer. I hate to tease! Do your browsers share cookies? Maybe it saves the preview info there.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Bummer. I hate to tease! Do your browsers share cookies? Maybe it saves the preview info there.
I'm pretty sure Opera doesn't share them. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I'll clean out everything and try again.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I'm pretty sure Opera doesn't share them. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I'll clean out everything and try again.
You don't want browsers to share cookies, that would mean one of them has an extremely serious security breach. Of course since they all keep their cookies in browser-specific files it isn't possible anyway. Anyway, the limit being ran up against is 99% likely to be Google-imposed.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Thanks for the thread, and all the links by others,

I found his details of his "lunch pail" special 1911 very interesting. I had one as he describes with no ser # when I was into collector grade 1911's. His caveat to have it looked at and given a number in the link is just what I had done back in the day. I'd never seen anything in print about this anomaly 1911.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts