Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure hope so...

I've been through a literal pile of carry guns over the last couple of years. I'm glad in todays market I'm able to get 98-99% of my money back on the ones I choose to let go of. I'm the first to admit I'm too picky, and maybe the gun tramp that I am has a little to do with my willingness to find fault in any of them. Since my joining here, I've carried (in no particular order) an LCR, LC9s, SP-101, G43x, G23, XDS45, a couple different Sig P365's, XDM's, G36, G30, 1911, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting to list. I REALLY want to love the P365 but alas my hands are too big for it. My next favorite was the G43x, and my wife still loves and carries hers.

I know there is give and take but I'm always continuing to look for the perfect piece. I'm finally convinced it isn't out there. I want G17 shootability and capacity with a G43 footprint. Well, I can sit here typing this and feel good about telling you that I am going to give this G48 a solid, several year college effort. To be honest, I'm sick of myself for not making one of the other fine firearms that I've had (or have) work plenty good enough for the EXTREMELY low chance I'll need it for an urban personal defensive situation.

The G48 does have an awesome shootability factor with a very tolerable footprint and weight with enough size to really be able to put rounds on target. The longer slide really eases recoil. I shoot it a tad left but I do every single Glock I've ever had in my hand. I'm going to knock the sight over to the right a little, put it in a Mini-tuck Crossbreed, carry a spare OEM mag, and be thankful that I have an extremely reliable and easy to shoot 11 rounds ready to go in a package that my body doesn't mind carrying at all.

This is my first 50 rounds through the pistol.

After a few Wizard Drills...

Anyhow,.... I'm going to make this work.

Hope you all are having a great start to your Summer,

Todd

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Welcome to the club in search of the best fit for your carry needs. I really thought I had found my answer with my Dan Wesson Vigil Commander (first in .45 ACP, then in 9mm) after carrying - in no specific order - Colt Defender, Glock 19x, Glock 45, Sig P365, Kimber Micro-9.

Then, being the old wheel gun guy that I am, I picked up this EAA Windicator .357 Magnum snubby, and all other bets are off, with the exception of on Sundays when I'll still carry the Vigil 9mm. Nice shooting with the 48. I really like my G45, but I'm not as precise with it as I am with the Vigil. For most of my situations, I'm as comfortable with 6 rounds of full-power .357 as I am with 10 rounds of 9mm (maybe even more so), and the snubby is slightly lighter and easier to conceal.

The bonus is that I'd feel better about having to surrender a $300 revolver over a $1200 1911 for a period of time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ultimately it's all down to what the answer is for you and only you. There are so many great options out in the market today and it's flooded with "upgrades" in the attempt to make these great guns even better in our neverending search for the perfect carry gun. I found what to me is my perfect carry piece in the Sig P365X with the Holosun 407k red dot, plus I've added the Magguts kits and their much improved baseplates to aid in fitting my hand.
The other very important question that needs answering is what holster will be used and this can be even harder to find than the perfect gun. Unfortunately I've spend way too much money in my pursuit of the perfect appendix holster over the years and luckily I have found my answer to that question in the Tenicor Velo4 paired with my P365X. The Discreet Carry Concepts clips they use are the very best available and make it so secure and are the only clips I'll ever use.
I hope you've found the pistol that works for you in the G48.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Ultimately it's all down to what the answer is for you and only you. There are so many great options out in the market today and it's flooded with "upgrades" in the attempt to make these great guns even better in our neverending search for the perfect carry gun. I found what to me is my perfect carry piece in the Sig P365X with the Holosun 407k red dot, plus I've added the Magguts kits and their much improved baseplates to aid in fitting my hand.
The other very important question that needs answering is what holster will be used and this can be even harder to find than the perfect gun. Unfortunately I've spend way too much money in my pursuit of the perfect appendix holster over the years and luckily I have found my answer to that question in the Tenicor Velo4 paired with my P365X. The Discreet Carry Concepts clips they use are the very best available and make it so secure and are the only clips I'll ever use.
I hope you've found the pistol that works for you in the G48.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
My go to is my Vigil. Though I may switch to my Fusion 10mm Commander.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
I have been going down that rabbit hole for 40 years. For decades what I carried was influenced by policy. Since retiring 10 years ago and going down to 1 fed contract at work I carry what they give me and on personal time I carry what I want.

I first decided that since I am a full size pistol guy I would carry my Glock 31 C, I carried it for years. I tried a Glock 45 MOS. The Glock 45 shot nowhere as good as my old Glock. I went back to 1911's after learning it and carrying it as an Army MP. I went thru several 1911's before picking up what I have now. I was always was a "if it's a 1911 it has to be a 45 guy". After watching several people shoot 9mm 1911's in matches, then listening to Hackathorn, Wilson and Vickers discuss 9mm in 1911 I decided to give it a try. I got a decent deal locally on a slightly used Dan Wesson Vigil, LW Commander in 9mm. Picked up some 10 rnd Wilson mags and boy howdy does that thing shoot.

I have not shot it on a static target except for a few rounds to check function and POI/POA but I run it in IDPA. I had 1 malfunction the first time I shot it with an aluminum cased round. Since then it runs like a sewing machine.

It weighs 30 Oz loaded with 11- 9mm rounds.

·
Registered
22,509 Posts
Rabbit holes for sure.

I am to the point I don’t care. I just stick a j frame in my pocket and get on with life. I will carry something else if I feel like it, but it’s no longer a driving force in my life.

·
Premium Member
41,518 Posts
Rabbit holes for sure.

I am to the point I don’t care. I just stick a j frame in my pocket and get on with life. I will carry something else if I feel like it, but it’s no longer a driving force in my life.
Yup, it just depends on the day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rabbit holes for sure.

Agreed...Plus here in Texas its just too damn hot and 99% of the time its cargo shorts and flip flops for me. My j frame loaded up with +p rounds has been my most carried piece.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Agreed...Plus here in Texas its just too damn hot and 99% of the time its cargo shorts and flip flops for me. My j frame loaded up with +p rounds has been my most carried piece.
LOL, yep I carried an L frame S&W in Texas for many years.

·
Registered
22,509 Posts
LOL, yep I carried an L frame S&W in Texas for many years.
Big deal! The real question is could you wiggle your ears and whistle Dixie while walking backwards?😆

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My wife had better never know how much money I have spent on new guns - the newest and the best, the be all and end all of guns, the one and the only gun, the perfect gun for me and to perfect my family, the last one I will ever need.. It makes no difference - revolvers, hi cap nines, or who knows what. Now I am 73 years old, and what do I pick up and carry almost every dang day? The same kind of gun I was issued in 1971 - A 1911. Your first love is always the hardest to get over. 51 years later, my preferred carry is still a low capacity, heavy to carry, outdated by 111 years, John Browning designed 1911. Keep experimenting. Who knows what you will decide.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
My wife had better never know how much money I have spent on new guns - the newest and the best, the be all and end all of guns, the one and the only gun, the perfect gun for me and to perfect my family, the last one I will ever need.. It makes no difference - revolvers, hi cap nines, or who knows what. Now I am 73 years old, and what do I pick up and carry almost every dang day? The same kind of gun I was issued in 1971 - A 1911. Your first love is always the hardest to get over. 51 years later, my preferred carry is still a low capacity, heavy to carry, outdated by 111 years, John Browning designed 1911. Keep experimenting. Who knows what you will decide.
Forehead Chin Microphone Tie Coat

1 - 20 of 70 Posts