Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I have never got any of my money back on my guns. Maybe because I haven't sold any. I carry different guns from time to time and have found there is no perfect gun. Just keep the guns you have and if a new whiz bang shiny gun comes along buy that one as well. That is half the fun of being a gun guy/lady is getting new stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Rabbit holes for sure.

I am to the point I don’t care. I just stick a j frame in my pocket and get on with life. I will carry something else if I feel like it, but it’s no longer a driving force in my life.
Yep. I stick a little 9 or a .380 in my pocket unless I feel like something different, but none of it matters that much. "It's no longer a driving force in my life." There it is.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I believe that we all have entered the black hole at some point in our carry life looking for the magical pistol unicorn but to no avail. At some point, you just get sick and tired of all of the 2A talk about this piece being the "best" for this or that or "this is the latest and greatest" piece foolishness. Just imagine how much $$$ the gun manufacturers have made off of us over the years due to our impulses of not being content with what we already have. Just saying...😎

·
Registered
50,293 Posts
I have only two carry guns, a G30 and my 6906. "If" I get another, it will be a snubbie because at this stage in life, pocket carry is becoming more practical for me. More/less capacity, larger/smaller caliber, or the latest and greatest is not very high on my requirement list.

·
Super Moderator
25,350 Posts
I believe that we all have entered the black hole at some point in our carry life looking for the magical pistol unicorn but to no avail. At some point, you just get sick and tired of all of the 2A talk about this piece being the "best" for this or that or "this is the latest and greatest" piece foolishness. Just imagine how much $$$ the gun manufacturers have made off of us over the years due to our impulses of not being content with what we already have. Just saying...😎
Militant nails it. Perfectly. Additionally, as you age and your body changes and your health changes, your gun preferences will change. WILL. Prepare for change. The only constant.

·
Registered
50,293 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My wife had better never know how much money I have spent on new guns - the newest and the best, the be all and end all of guns, the one and the only gun, the perfect gun for me and to perfect my family, the last one I will ever need.. It makes no difference - revolvers, hi cap nines, or who knows what. Now I am 73 years old, and what do I pick up and carry almost every dang day? The same kind of gun I was issued in 1971 - A 1911. Your first love is always the hardest to get over. 51 years later, my preferred carry is still a low capacity, heavy to carry, outdated by 111 years, John Browning designed 1911. Keep experimenting. Who knows what you will decide.
Perhaps that's why I have gravitated back to a .357 revolver. Before I started shooting semi-auto pistols, I cut my teeth on a Colt Python 4". That's my 'first love' gun-wise.

·
Registered
50,293 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm able to get 98-99% of my money back on the ones I choose to let go of.
Regarding this part of the OP's post when my FIL passed, I inherited several handguns of--- questionable--- quality or utility, in addition to several that are quite nice.

I was able to make a fair penny putting the less useful ones on consignment. Things are better than they were, for a while it seemed people were willing to pay a fortune for anything that went "bang", but prices still seem to favor the seller.

As for carry, I've gone from a Sig P226 to a Ruger Speed Six to a Sig P225 to a factory-bobbed S&W M65 to a Taurus M85 to a Sig P320 Subcompact to an S&W M442.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I'm still in the 'different gun for different situations' club. Sometimes what I can carry calls for something smaller, sometimes I get to pig out and wear a big one just for the fun of it.
In each category I've selected a few, and practice with a few, and recognize the pro's and con's of each for any scenario.

I'll always have five or six different guns that I can carry comfortably depending on what the day's circumstances call for.

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
I've been carrying my P365 for a few years now - I don't even consider a change of carry weapons until either me or the gun fails. I'm thinking I'll probably fail before my Sig - I'm the one with parts that don't work.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts