Defensive Carry banner

The attack of the gun belt

5K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  blankman 
#1 ·
Help, I've been attacked by my gun belt.
I have had allergies to most metals for as long as I can remember.
I've been carrying daily for the last year and only now have I had a problem with the metal allergy. In the past couple days the very small portion of the buckle that touches my skin, above the waistband of my pants now has a red raw itchy oozing spot.
For now during the colder weather I can easily wear an undershirt tucked in to prevent skin contact with that small area. Come warmer weather this will turn into a problem.
Any suggestion of how to prevent the skin contact with the buckle?

#3 ·
My belt has no metal. It is the flyer model of the Wilderness Tactical belt. The buckle is made of hard plastic so I don't have to remove it to go thru security. This belt may take care of your problems. Good luck.

#7 ·
Thank you Bosun! I was hoping somebody would know of a belt with a non-metal buckle.
I can wear a tucked in undershirt now for the colder weather, but come summer, two layers will just be too warm.
I used to paint the backside of my watch with clear nail polish to prevent skin contact, but wears off after a few days and has to be re-applied.
I will be looking into the Wilderness Belts.:smile:

#6 ·
You might try to paint the inside portion of the buckle with clear acrylic lacquer. That will seal the metal from leaching into your skin. Typically, it's the salt in your sweat that "corrodes" the metal in the buckle, and allows it to leach into the skin. If it sounds like I speak from experience, then you would be correct. I have to sand (200 grit sand paper or emery cloth) and repaint about 1 every two months in the summer.

Just some food for thought.

#8 ·
dunno if your buckle is removable or not but if so get some clear shrink tube (or color of your choice) of the right size, apply, and apply heat to shrink it to fit nice and tight. no muss no fuss and even if someone notices...it won't look bad.

#10 ·
Mine is a Native Alaskan made fosilized Walrus Ivory Carved (vs scrimshaw) eagles head. Its tuff, very decorative and eye catching (as in as disraction from any potential printing). Oh and I just like it.

Here is one link. I actually bought mine in Anchorage but there is many available online.

Alaskan Made Belt Buckles

#11 ·
I have heard of this issue from other people. From what I understand that the sweat chemicals react to the metal and cause the reaction. I got a email from a friend of mine that travels alot (flying). There is something out there called "Beep-Free" buckles. The buckle itself is made from a non metallic material. If you have a belt that the buckle can be changed on this might be a solution....

Beep Free® Belts

I found their website...Hope that helps.

#13 ·
Leather covered buckle might help. You could get some leather lacing and half hitch it around the buckle to cover it up. I it doesn't work for you just remove leather and try something else. Buy a gold buckle.

#17 ·
Might even be a place to carry some extra para cord if you don't want to use leather.....:image035:

#14 ·
Morning Rurgergirl,
Perhaps you wouldn't know it by my collection, but I don't really care for belt buckles. I plan on purchasing a Beltman 'no buckle' belt. As a die-hard minimalist I prefer the slimmer/cleaner appearance of his Velcro option.

Gun Belts by The Belt Man | tel. (919) 387-1997 | NO-BUCKLE BELTS

Regards,
Dan O.​

#16 ·
Rugergirl, I went through the same ordeal with my watch. It had a lot to do with some long work days and sweat. Only happened with base metals (I think nickel is a big offender). Got a better watch with stainless backing and no more problem. Gold plate may be a option if your michigan depressed budget will bear it. Good luck.

#20 ·
I was going to suggest the clear nail polish, but you already covered that one...

As for plastic-buckled belts, I prefer the Wilderness version over others...I've got a couple of different models (e.g. Better BDU and a 5.11) and they just don't have the stiffness I want in a pistol belt.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest trying some Aquaphor on your raw spot.

#21 ·
for what its worth and from someone who lives in a hot and humid area...two shirts actually make you more comfortable in the hot weather...took me a while to figure it out but i always wear a light tank under my t shirts now and the carry comfort and heat comfort is improved quite a bit...

in your case i would look into non-metallic buckles though..there are many available and you should be able to find something you like...the no buckle belts could be a good option also...do a google search...there are more than everyone here will tell you about....

#25 ·
Wide belt with smaller section that buckles. Buckle sits on top of leather, isolating it from skin. I have had mine a long time and do not remember manufacturer marked with, K (with square around it) 58A-38.

#26 ·
Thanks, everyone, you've given me some good suggestions, and I plan to try a few of them.
The leather wrap idea sounds interesting, and fashionable although nobody but me would know it's there, I'm never seen without an untucked top.
I thought I might have outgrown the allergy, since this is the first time it's acted up in a year of wearing the same belt. It makes me wonder if there might be something hormone or food related that suddenly triggered the reaction?
For now the undershirt is working great, I've got a lightweight cotton turtleneck on under my sweatshirt, since it's a blistering 17 degrees today.

#27 ·
Thanks, everyone, you've given me some good suggestions, and I plan to try a few of them.
The leather wrap idea sounds interesting, and fashionable although nobody but me would know it's there, I'm never seen without an untucked top.
I thought I might have outgrown the allergy, since this is the first time it's acted up in a year of wearing the same belt. It makes me wonder if there might be something hormone or food related that suddenly triggered the reaction?
For now the undershirt is working great, I've got a lightweight cotton turtleneck on under my sweatshirt, since it's a blistering 17 degrees today.
What is it, every 6 or 7 years people allergies can/do change?

#28 ·
You live in Michigan and can't get by with a cotton undershirt in the summer? You might want to get a "tuckable" IWB holster. That way, you can get by with just one shirt. I have one and it works pretty well (mine is a Tucker Answer). There are a number of good ones, both leather and kydex (or a combination of both) out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.