Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little .45 is no match to to this mother of a gun. I pulled this off our missouri carry website. I had to pass this one on.

You'll get a "kick" out of this one. Read before you view the attachment....

You may have to watch Recoil twice. Try to follow the gun. This video is basically a "show and tell" custom built on a Thompson Encore (fancy version of the Thompson Contender). The Caliber... 600 Nitro Express. That's right...an elephant gun round in a handgun. The story goes that the guy that built it is some kind of custom gun maker, and built this as an exhibition piece. He takes it to the range with him just to show it off, and the big guy that shot it (in the video) had been bugging the builder to let him shoot it. Now think about this...only until fairly recently (early-mid '80's IIRC) the 600 Nitro Express was hands down the biggest, nastiest, hardest hitting, and heaviest recoiling weapon you could buy. It was designed for one simple purpose...to knock an elephant flat on his a$$. IMO, it was really built as an exhibition piece for guys "compensating"...this cartridge is known for breaking collarbones, arms, shoulders...of the shooter! Think about this, in the gun world they use what is termed as a "recoil index" to kind of give prospective buyers an idea of what a gun kicks like.

A .30-06 gets a rating of a 1.0, which for many people is about the limit of what they can shoot multiple rounds thru comfortably. A 243 is rated at like a .4, a .270 was like a .8, etc. The ..600 Nitro Express is rated at a 9.4...9.4 times more punishing power than a 30-06. Now watch the video...

http://www.umsl.edu/~dtdrhb/Recoil-1.wmv

Ti.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
ohmyGod !...

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
:ahhhhh: oh man

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Yep - this guy was - shall we say - unprepared!!!!

This vid has been around a bit but hey - what I wonder is - was the poor gun still in one piece after all that!!! I love my cannons but that - well - even that is beyond what I wanna play with :18:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
yeah i've seen it and that Cartridge was surly never made for a hand gun ..

Plus that hand gun was way to small and under weighted and the guy trying to shoot it wasn't taking it seriously..

ME i got more common sense not much probley but enough to know i wouldn't try it

·
Administrator
144,222 Posts
Just Wondering

Just wondering if it is even possible to hold on to a handgun configured like the Thompson Center Contender chambered for the 600 Nitro Express ~ even if a seasoned shooter is prepared. :gah:
Looking at the Video a few times....Had that shooter actually been able to maintain his grip on the Contender...
I'm guessing that the whip back would have taken a serious chunk out of his forehead.
I think he was LUCKY that he let it go flying.:dead:

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
It's even funnier with the goofy looking stereotypical "bubba" shooting the gun.

·
Registered
835 Posts
rocky said:
It's even funnier with the goofy looking stereotypical "bubba" shooting the gun.
Hey... I resemble that remark... :)

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
QKShooter said:
Just wondering if it is even possible to hold on to a handgun configured like the Thompson Center Contender chambered for the 600 Nitro Express ~ even if a seasoned shooter is prepared. :gah:
Looking at the Video a few times....Had that shooter actually been able to maintain his grip on the Contender...
I'm guessing that the whip back would have taken a serious chunk out of his forehead.
I think he was LUCKY that he let it go flying.:dead:
Exactly what I was thinking QK. Or, that it could fracture his wrist(s).

The other things I was thinking was why would anybody make such a thing and second why would anybody want to shoot it?????

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The two most hilarious parts:

Thinking that he was going to try it one-handed :gah:

The look on his face after firing it :rofl:

·
Registered
181 Posts
and thats why we wear saftey glasses at the range. I also think the guy is lucky that it didn't take a piece out of his forehead. I'm not even sure how you would properly shoot that gun.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Dingle1911 said:
and thats why we wear saftey glasses at the range. I also think the guy is lucky that it didn't take a piece out of his forehead. I'm not even sure how you would properly shoot that gun.
With 2 sandbags on top of the barrel.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bud White said:
Might need 4 sandbags for that
How bout a freakin vise?

Ti

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I don't know how much worse do you think it could be than fireing a Derringer with a 3" .410 shot shell, that hammers the hand too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts