Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/FSQiM67Yq54

Over the last year I have been testing various .223/5.56 ammunition to try to find what I think is the best all around offering. One of you guys sent me some XM556FBIT3, and it performed incredibly well.

What is it?

The Federal XM556FBIT3 is a cartridge that was originally made to fill a government contract. A lot of rumors suggest the ammo was made specifically for special teams throughout the FBI. It features a 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw projectile that is supposedly barrier blind. It is loaded to 5.56x45mm NATO pressure and uses a brass case.

Performance

We tested the ammo using a Ruger Mini 14 (18.5" barrel) in three tests. First we fired the ammo into bare synthetic gelatin. We then placed a simulated car door (20 gauge steel set 3" apart) in front of the block. We finished the testing with a dry wall simulation to see what kind of home defense performance we could expect from the FBIT3.

Overall the round performed very well. In the bare gelatin the round expanded almost immediately. It created a 1.5" cavity that reached to roughly 9". From there the cavity shrunk to roughly .25" penetrating out to 17.5".

We saw a similar performance with the car door testing. The round created a permanent cavity of 2.5" that reached until the 5" mark. From there the round penetrated to the 15.5" mark leaving a ~.3" cavity in its wake.

Once again our third test brought similar results. The FBIT3 punched through the dry wall and created a 2.5" cavity that reached until the 5" mark. From there the cavity once again tapered until the round came to rest at the 15" mark.

Why is this good?

The performance of the FBIT3 shows that it is one of the best choices for defensive ammo on the market today. The round gave us a similar performance against three different tests. In bare gel the ammo did an outstanding job of penetrating and transferring energy. When faced with barriers the FBIT3 continued to impress. With most ammunition the introduction of barriers results in a complete failure of the projectile. The FBIT3 saw a minimal loss in performance. The round loss roughly two inches of penetration, but was able to maintain similar expansion and cavitation. Overall the FBIT3 has proven to be a reliable defensive load.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Interesting

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
For the prices I just saw googling that stuff, it better be the best in the west. Thanks for the review though, always appreciate people's opinions on stuff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Depends on the usage. What I want for HD is different from what I want on duty. For HD I use 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 62 and 64 grain TBBC is a good bullet especially in shorter barrels where velocity may be a factor.
That's a good point. I have seen certain rounds perform better in certain scenarios, but this ammo has done the best as a jack of all trades type round.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nice testing and writeup. Do you know what the velocities are out of a 16 inch barrel? Did you test the velocity? Also do have a source for the bear claw bullets(just the projectiles)? I may make my own if they are not readily available.
SW

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Several of the websites that sell this are warning against NOT using it in anything chambered for REM .223 due to over pressure.

Any .223 specific ammo with the same results?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Several of the websites that sell this are warning against NOT using it in anything chambered for REM .223 due to over pressure.

Any .223 specific ammo with the same results?
Isn't that true of almost all 5.56 loads?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i have a pretty low expectation for ammo.. I just want it to go bang and I dont really subscribe to the flavor of the month club. If this ammo works well for those who like it, all is good i guess. As a guy who has no interest in quarter sized groups at 500+ yards.. xm193 will do just fine for me.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
I'll take whatever 5.56 or .223 expanding ammo I can get my hands on...JHP or JSP. In a pinch, FMJ will do.

Nice to see the use of a Mini 14!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll take whatever 5.56 or .223 expanding ammo I can get my hands on...JHP or JSP. In a pinch, FMJ will do.

Nice to see the use of a Mini 14!
It's ironic. I test all of this ammo but i subscribe to a similar philosophy. For most of us cost is the major factor.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts